New School GOT Schooled!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 4, 2019.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

These are facts...McCarthy had the support of most of the fan base...Gase does not and if we start losing it is going to get ugly fast.

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

So I am stuck here in Newark airport after a short trip from AZ back to the old stomping grounds in NJ. Due to Southwest canceling my original flight, I have plenty of time sitting in the terminal. While reading another NYJ Jets Forum (I know, bad protocol) where there was talk about what Sean McVay means to the NFL, an anomaly was pointed out.

QB’s who lose their first Super Bowl have a horrendous history of getting back to or winning the SB in subsequent seasons. This might mean something or it might not. As of Super Bowl 53, there have been 32 QB’s that have lost their first Super Bowl appearance – lastly Jared Goff, of course. Of those 32, only three have gone on to win the SB later. These include:

· Len Dawson – 1966 (lost against Green Bay – SB I) / 1969 (beat Minnesota – SB IV)

· Bob Griese – 1971 (lost to Dallas – SB VI) / 1972 (beat Washington – SBVII)

· John Elway – 1986 (lost to NYG – SB XXI) / 1997 (beat Green Bay – SBXXXII)

Also, of these 32 only three have even played in another Super Bowl. These include:

· Fran Tarkington – Last appearance SBI, 1976

· Craig Morton - Last appearance SBXII, 1977

· Jim Kelly – Last appearance SB , SBXXXVII, 1993

So 26 other first time SB loser QB’s (including some that have admittedly lost recently) haven’t been able to repeat their team’s success. Nobody has been even able to get back in 20 years.

Many reasons could account for that: Cinderella teams getting “lucky”; older QB’s finally making it through late in their careers; good / great QB’s making it once – but then being thwarted by dynasty teams; etc. It could also show just how hard it is to make / win the Super Bowl. Many things have to align to get all the way. Just thought it was an interesting factoid.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That fact only shows how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. It's actually impressive that 6 of these 32 made it back considering only 2 out of every 32 teams make the Super Bowl.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think this stat means much for Jared Goff, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, etc but it is interesting. Marino went to the Super Bowl his second year, right? Then never returned. It is a really difficult goal to accomplish. Takes as much luck as it does talent and of course the team around you.

Even if you win, it is tough to come back. Brady and Patriots make it look easy, but we all know how tough it truly is.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Nothing is too hard if you cheat. Especially if you cheat consistently. [Ha!]

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Even Alexander The Great makes dumb moves, remember his quest to India?

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That was supposed to be a dumb move? How?

8. Patriot

He was looking for the end of the earth. He got 1/2 his men killed and chances are good his own men killed him for this. Otherwise, the trip itself killed him.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

By your logic, Magellan was a dumb moron too, eh?

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If we hired McCarthy and we started losing it would get ugly fast. What's your point?

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good thing his parents didn't name him Alexander the mediocre.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL yup...and Hitler sending a few tanks north to conquer Russia!

Patriot likes this.
  13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with “schools”. Sanchez could have easily won that game for the Pats.

It was Everything to do with game plan and health of stars (WR and RB)

Next story losers.........

14. Patriot

I guess he did not learn from Napoleon.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. Patriot

I did not mean to imply Alexander was a moron. He was very intelligent and was well tutored by Aristotle and his dad Philip.

My point was even the brightest folks can make dumb decisions. He made some bad decisions in India.

Since this is a football forum and not a history forum, I will just say many scholars have concluded that Alexander faced a serious mutiny if he didn't stop his quest eastward.

16. Patriot

I believe his name at the time was Alexander III

I think it is believed that he got the name "Great" from the Roman historian Quintus Curtius Rufus who referred to him as great in the Latin language.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Apparently he invented the T formation to get an extra blocker on the Lions.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So you didn't answer my question while talking a lot of nothing.

Was Magellan's decision to "circle around the Earth" also a dumb decision, per your wording?

19. Patriot

Magellan decision to "circle around the Earth" or being credited for circling the earth may have been a smart decision for mankind. Ironically he is credited for doing this, but he actually died and never made it back to Spain. Other folks from his crew actually made it back is my recollection.

It was a dumb decision for Spain who spent quite a bit of money and whose mission was never met. Remember it was about spices and money, not going around the world.

It was a dumb decision for many of the men and boats that never returned.

As to Magellan maybe he died doing something he enjoyed, otherwise maybe dumb.

So would I have wanted to be in Magellan's crew? No way, I am not that much of a thrill seeker! hence dumb for me to do it!

So to answer your question, probably dumb except for mankind who benefitted. Again it depends on who you are referring to when you say dumb in my humble opinion.

I guess Teddy Roosevelt and some Americans were much smarter with the Panama Canal. But the French should get credit for starting the project.

20. Patriot

The Rams had a championship defense and Sanchez probably would have turned the ball over 4 times.