New OC: Jeremy Bates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Jan 22, 2018.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Per Adam Schefter: Jets expected to promote their QB coach Jeremy Bates to offensive coordinator, per league sources.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Okay then. I'm on board

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hail Mary here. USC connection = Darnold?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

When it became news that the Jets wouldn't stop Morton from leaving the Jets for another OC job, it seemed pretty clear that they weren't 100% sold on him. A lot of people within the organization consider Bates the smartest O minded coach in the building.

Now, he's a bit wacky as he left coaching to backpack across the country, but if he's committed to the job then I'm all for it. It allows for some continuity in the building which is important.

Should be interesting to see who's under center next season and what kind of offensive system Jets choose to run.

LF911SC, NYJetsO12 and almbleamal like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I thought he didn't wanna be OC? Are the Jets forcing the position onto him?

BTW McCown for QB coach plz

6. grkmanga31

I would think that wouldn't be the case. Bowles probably ran it by Bates to see if he'd want the position. Hard to think Jets would force anyone to take a position if they weren't into it.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

He bargained to get more pay for this position most likely which is perfectly fine. Why be gun ho over this position from the get go when you can null offers and make it that the Jets prioritize how much they want you(Via cash)? It's perfectly fine from Bates end.

He's probably getting a substantial enough pay increase for taking this spot, not just talking jumping from QB coach to OC either.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Well, no more "his attitude and philosophy" don't fit excuse. They know Bates well.

I like this hiring simply because everyone in the building from the owner to the GM to the coach know exactly whats coming so if it fails it has to fall on them. Its a real sink or swim hiring that either helps turn things around or hopefully takes the rats down with the ship.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would love that.
    1. Takes him off the field.
    2. Lets him do what he does best: Coach young players.
    3. The positive energy he brought to the team can remain.

Freddy Mondo, nicg4360, dogg and 10 others like this.
  10. grkmanga31

A lot of talks on Twitter notes that Bates and Mayfield would not work.

On the flip side, a lot of people are saying that Cousins + Bates would be a good fit.

11. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Welp, let's hope we can attract a QB to come here, or trade and force one to come here.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well said. This guy had one hell of a reputation before he went AWOL; perhaps the previous experience plays a role here. He wouldn't just take any job w/out getting his say.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

In looking into his resume more, I have a more favorable impression of him than previously. I like that their OC is now a QB guru. Hopeful it works out (but deeply skeptical, obviously)!

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He did well with the old guy this year. I think the bigger question is can he fit his offensive philosophy into what Bowels wants. In Seattle his team threw 60% of the time and he was let go for, wait for it, philosophical differences....

So it will be interesting to see how he's changed in the last 8 years as an OC. Hopefully with a QB better than McCown.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If this guy let go of Morton for philosophical differences and then promotes a guy who has actually been on staff for a year and ends up having a problem due to philosophical differences... Well, maybe I wouldn't put that past Bowles... But one would hope that he has a very good feel for the guy after his being on staff last year

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who were those on Twitter making those comments? What were they saying/why don't they think that Bates and Mayfield would work?

Regardless, that doesn't mean that they are right.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wonder if they even considered or talked to Haley. Probably not, for the reasons that numerous posters previously stated that Bowles wasn't gonna hire anyone who could possibly take his job.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

Not saying they would be write just an observation of what I've seen in the jets twittersphere. I would still take Baker at 6 but wouldn't be shocked to see the Jets be stupid and make the hero pick of Allen at 6 thinking they can fix him.

19. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

So they'll also hire a running game coordinator? Smh. This team

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20. grkmanga31

Bates could take his job for all we know, but I don't think the whole taking HC factored into it. Ultimately, Bates has been regarded as the brightest offensive mind in the building. Continuity may have also played a role in all of this but who knows.