New Laptop Needed Other Than A Mac

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYJetsO12, May 17, 2015.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My MacBook Pro is dying. Poor internet connection. Takes forever to go site to site. Doing a million restarts and still no good. Had it since 2011 so after bout 5 years it has gone the way of the warrior.

I really not up to spending $700 to 1000 on a new Mac even though I know they are good. I do a lot of report writing for my job and use an Epson printer. I am new to the chrome/Mac setup. So need a reliable, efficient, not too costly machine.

Suggestions?

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

DONT BUY A CHROMEBOOK. ITS BASICALLY A CHROME BROWSER. Everything else is fine for your needs. I'm too lazy to go on the computer but for what you do you can get any windows PC for less than 500 and it will suit your needs. Just look up battery life if you want to take it outside often.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

Thanks.

So not to press the issue but for those windows Laptop Pc < $500 what do you like?

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I get hp. I never have a lot of issues with them and they generally last me a few years. Which is great for me because I use mine for everything.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

What's wrong with the Chromebook? If all you need is a browser, then that's plenty.

6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

A 200 dollar browser? One day you'd want to do more than suft the web. Chromebooks are extremely limited.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

7. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Like zace said HP laptops are pretty reliable, I have one of those and my girl has a Samsung laptop. If you are primarily using it for work then I'd go the HP but both of us have Samsung handhelds and our TVs are all Samsung and her laptop makes it a breeze to sync up media, I can play media from mind our her phone on the TV without issue, I guess it comes down to personal preference

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This times 10. Stick with those two and you should be fine. Sony is ok but they're less reliable and are more expensive. Ive owned practically every brand there is, so I dont say this lightly......never and I mean never, get a gateway.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

Thanks all for your help. It's nice to know HP not getting such a bad rap I have heard from others.

Anyone want to comment on longevity? Will a Samsung give me more years than HP?

Appreciate the help

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Dell makes a great laptop.

11. Charlie Kelly

Wow I didn't realize Gateway was still in business. As far as Dell computers, everywhere I have worked has had a bulk contract with Dell and I'm not sure about personal user support but I've heard they offer very little support in the corporate world and they are sort of "you bought it, you break it, you fix it" in terms of help.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Go with Lenovo. My company uses them and they are damn near indestructable. Considering the idiots that use them, I'm amazed at the quality of the machine itself.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

14. Charlie Kelly

Yea that was what I was getting at with the Dell thing, corporate use of some computers is really different than personal purchase, I have also heard some shady things about personal Lenovo machines but the adware thing is on par with the outsourced hardware they out in their machines as compared with the contractually provided hardware in corporate contracts

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

@xxedge72x but yes, if all you do is browse a CB is fine.

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I bought Asus 3 years ago, same purposes - works just fine. Install good antivirus (I have Bitdefender), be careful with Windows update and make sure you scan and backup about monthly.

Br4d likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

HP laptops have been much better over the course of the last decade. I had a HP Laptop and it stayed in prime shape for about a decade (2007 - 2015; decided to get a Dell Laptop afterwards). Dell has also been much better with Customer Service the past few years.

You can't go wrong with either. HP I think can be more price friendly.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ive had custom hps and hps from bestbuy, the minimum ive had them before they go is atleast 3 years. Now that may not spind long but consider I use my laptop like a desktop (which theyre not meant to be used). Thats really good. And that includes the 300 to 400 ones.

I run emulators, games, movies, burning, torrents, just about everything on mine. Youre more likely to have issues with windowsong before the laptop itself.

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Theyre ibm's I believe. Thats why the support is iffy at times.

20. roger

roger Active Member

HPPavillion