New Jack City a disturbing allusion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 22, 2018.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Where is the marketability in this comparison? What is the meaning of it? I dont get it, i cant see us as a fanbase latching on to a drug, crime, and violence reference. When the Jets db's go to do community service how do they explain to children that may be looking up to them what NJC is referring to?
    The Sack Exchange, The Ganggrren, Purple People Eaters, The Steel Curtain...im sure you all can think of more names that were tough while lacking drug, crime and violence references.
    Before i pressed the post button i thought..."New Yorkers" and media people also refer to NY as Gotham City...so maybe there is a market for New Jack City???

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Eh, the 90’s are the trend right now and New Jack City is simply a 90’s New York reference. I don’t think anyone is going to read into it anymore than that.

FJF likes this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I thought only good defensive units got cool nicknames.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I honestly didn't get it initially. I saw the term mentioned several times on here but I must have been sleep-walking. At first I thought it was a reference to that borderline shitty movie with Mick Jagger and Emilio Estevez, and then I remembered it was 'Freejack', haha. I should probably give that flick a re-watch, but I a had sinus infection at the time so I wasn't into it and just wanted to put an egg in my shoe and beat it. Wesley Snipes is an alumni, so I changed my mind, such as it is, about sleep-walking. <=== I was definitely sleep-walking.

Royal Tee and K'OB like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

B/R: Where did “New Jack City” come from?

Adams: That came from our DBs and our coach, Dennard Wilson. We came up with it. We’re in New York. New Jack City was a hell of a movie. Those guys work together and always complete their mission. Having that swagger, having that energy, going out there being the baddest dudes on the field.

For those that don’t know, New Jack City is about two police officers who go undercover to take down a drug boss in the Big Apple.

As for the Jets’ version of New Jack City, the group features Adams, Marcus Maye, Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine and now, Trumaine Johnson. Coming off the bench are youngsters Parry Nickerson, Derrick Jones and more. It’s a talented group full of swagger, which is why Wilson came up with the nickname.

6. Mark Lattimer

Mark Lattimer Member

I think giving yourself any kind of a nickname after going 10-22 the previous two seasons is a clown move.

legler82, Acad23, westiedog1 and 4 others like this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You mean like when the Steelers defensive line was nicknamed the Steel Curtain after going 12 and 30 the previous 3 years?

Nicknames gotta start somewhere and usually the nicknames aren't preceded by excellent years

FJF likes this.
  8. jetophile

They should call themselves Jack Ass City. Just a suggestion.

legler82, Acad23, NY Jets68 and 7 others like this.
  9. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Are we really bashing nicknames at this point lmao. Jesus fuck this fan base sucks.

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I guess they should concentrate more on the their responsibilities and less on catchy names,,,I mean the "Sons" were not all that great and these guys are well,,,,,,I like Jeto's name for them better "jack ass city "

11. jetophile

Purple People Eaters picked a peck of pickled peppers. I don't mind it, but the Jets haven't had nicknames preceded by excellent years last I knew. What was the last one the Jets had a few years ago? Er, something to do with Anarchy, and that show sucked.

12. jetophile

Hahahaha, we must be related somehow. So, where did you get your potty-mouth training? We should compare notes!

EDIT & P.S.: That's a standard phrase of mine along with Jesus shit.

#12 jetophile, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  13. JdotGriff

Its the NY/NJ in me my wife said she would have started a swear jar but we would probably go broke.

14. jetophile

That's awesome. I'm very mindful in public and in social situations, because I was brought up that it's very trashy for women to curse so I police myself vigilantly, but at home and people I'm comfortable with? Lights out. If I drop a sock taking clothes out of the dryer, it isn't just a sigh or a damn. "Motherfukking son of of a prick dick fukkface bitch." I'll always be proud of that one, and my Mom would die again if she was still alive. The only curse word my Mom ever said was shit, and that was because she called my Daddy King Shit when he complained one night over his espresso being cold after dinner (we're guineas). Long story, but he laughed so hard, he almost fell out his chair. King Shit was a running joke for years and still is, even though my folks are long gone. I almost wish that I had Tourette's. Maybe I'll start faking it for fun in the supermarket to entertain myself.

Another Daddy highlight: "Your ass!" My Mom: "YOUR ass!" Just to goad her into cursing. Hahahaha, I miss my father every day of my life.

15. JdotGriff

Only ones ive watched my mouth around are the kids untill they turned 18. 2 out of 3 are past that so the biting fo the tongue has become less and less as years go by. Thank god for the internet for those rough nights. lol

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Killer Clowns from Outer Space?

Jets81, jetophile and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If a "jack" referred to an interception, they could call themselves No Jack City

legler82 and chrisrex like this.
  18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this board is sometimes so completely out of touch its scary.

19. jetophile

Holy, hahahahahahha!

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hell, I doubt if anyone under the age of 30 has even seen the movie. I have no idea what they're referencing to. Just a catchy sounds nickname I guess.