Never done FF before WTF?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by JStokes, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Are there women in your league? Are they Christian? If so, you should draft Ray Rice with your first round pick. It will subliminally let them know who is in charge. If not, a safe bet would be Tim Tebow or Dwayne Johnson.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It is a celebrity league. JStokes and 11 random celebrities. A little birdie told me Gilbert Gottfried, Phil Donahue and Kathy Griffin are three of the owners.

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Technically, our league's Draft format hasn't been finalized yet.

Can one of you guys explain the Draft auction thing? Maybe I can sway the commish if it's good.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Good call. I know people who look at bye weeks and will avoid drafting a player because their bye week overlaps. I don't do that because you are sacrificing your team and what you feel your best player is for one week. Not worth it to me

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Close.

It's at Citifield before the Braves game in a few weeks.

David Wright is running it and we'll be drafting against teams with him, Jonathan Niese, Daniel Murphy, Matt Harvey and Dillon Gee. I think the draft is in the clubhouse.

Then we'll be doing batting practice before watching the game from a box.

I think the MLB-wide FF league that we're in is run by Clayton Kershaw, if we make the playoffs we'll be competing with FF teams from the rest of MLB.

I'll take pictures. Not quite Kathy Griffin or Gilbert Gottfried but it'll have to do.

_

displacedfan likes this.
  6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I heard Adam Wainright was the guy who had created the whole thing.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You could be right. I think he's the big FF guy in MLB.

Should be fun, am getting the rules tomorrow, will be looking for advice. Like I said, never done it before.

_

8. displacedfan

Okay let's say it's a 10 person league. Your team has 10 positions on it (for simplicity sake), QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, DEF, K, BEN, BEN.

You start with 200 dollars.

The order of the draft is set. Person one selects LeSean McCoy and bids 1 dollar. Now anyone can bid on McCoy, with the max bid being 191 (9 dollars left so 1 dollar bid on the remaining 9 roster spots). If I bid $45 for LeSean and you bid $46 and nobody tops you, you get LeSean and lose 46 and I keep by 45 but don't get LeSean. The next person then selects a player to bid on and etc etc.

IT creates an interesting budget strategy, but also player selection strategy. Let's say no WR are selected and I skip over the top class and go DeSean Jackson. Maybe everyone will think there are better WR, I'll let Displaced get him for 20, I don't want to spend anymore. Then Fitz goes for 60, Calvin goes for 60, and so on and I get DeSean at a good value. Very interesting, I would recommend doing a mock draft for it (and I dislike mock drafts) just to understand how it works better

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

What if in you (#2 position) outbid me (#1 position)? Does it mean we effectively switched draft positions?

10. The Uniform Bomber

Wow, that sounds awesome. I don't think the majority of our league would be on board because they're kinda set in their ways; but I would definitely be down to try it.

There's also one issue. One of our guys will be in Europe during the Draft, so he's probably going to load up his queue and auto-draft most of his roster (I think it'll be like 3AM there when we're drafting here). So, that wouldn't be possible with the auction, right?

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Treat FF like prediction. Mon thru Sun morning you're trying to predict which combo of your players will give you the highest points total. Once the games start you're just a fan, rooting for your team. You can no longer change your prediction, they are set, now just enjoy the games and look up how well your predictions worked out on Mon evening. Mental games, I know, but worked for me, at least most of the times :)

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That is just nomination order.

If I was first in the order, I could put up Jeremy Kerley to be bid upon. Kerley would then become the first player picked in the draft.

The next person in the order might put up Santonio Holmes for bidding. That person might actually end up with Holmes because nobody else would probably make a bid.

When I did baseball auctions, I would put up guys I didn't want and force other owners to spend money early.

It is also possible for the same person to make the first 3 or 4 or 5 picks. I have been in auctions where some other owner gets 7 players before I won any.

NYJalltheway and RuJFan like this.
  13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

My first post was in response to RuJFan's post. This one is in response to the post right after it.

Guys that miss an online auction will fuck it up. It is very annoying. In my baseball leagues, Yahoo would aggressively stock the draft dodgers with high priced starters and fill the remainder of the roster with $1 players. The owner would end up with something like 10 players totalling $247 and 13 players totalling $13.

The other owners will laugh at how Yahoo (if you are using Yahoo) stockpiles the Europe vacationer dude's team.

14. displacedfan

No then #2 puts a player up to bid even if he won the first bid from #1. Order doesn't change, so order matters less than the typical draft where you pick players

RuJFan likes this.
  15. The Uniform Bomber

Thanks for the info, guys.

And yes, we use Yahoo. And like I said, I don't see the auction style getting voted in, but it's something to think about for the future.

For now, the only auction experience I have is purchasing property in Monopoly.

16. The Uniform Bomber

What do you guys think CJ's value (i.e. Round) is in a PPR league?

I usually try to target one Jet in the later rounds (excluding the DEF), and I'm thinking he might be my target this year.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Within first 6 rounds for Johnson

18. The Uniform Bomber

Just outta curiosity, what do you have against mock drafts?

19. displacedfan

Everyone leaves early or there's someone that makes stupid picks on purpose which throws off the whole point.

In the mock auction I did earlier, I had people bid basically all their money to the minimum on two guys then leave the draft. I was the only person who made it to the final 5-10 rounds of the mock, let alone the end.

I had the same problems with 2-3 people picking injured players on purpose or stuff like that which throws off the whole point. I think they are great if you end up in a great group, I just personally have not ended up in one when deciding to do mock drafts

20. The Uniform Bomber

^Ah, I got'cha. I did 4 mocks the other day on Yahoo. But they were just standard snake format, with 30 seconds between picks. In only one of them, can I recall a very questionable decision early on in the Draft, but for the most part, the people seem to be choosing realistically. I've been fortunate so far.