NBA center Jason Collins comes out

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Apr 29, 2013.

1. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

your control the masses theory has lots of holes. some 2000 years later there are more christians than ever. they are not being controlled by an educated few. there's more christian persecution now than in the days of roman rule and yet people are still committed to the cause.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That book you worship has far more holes than the obvious use of religion to control the masses.

3. The Great American

For the sake of staying on topic I will give you the last words on this. Hopefully we can pick it up on another thread down the road.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now I have the last word.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sorry guys.

I have the last word.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Heroes go above and beyond. I wouldn't call him a hero per se, but I wouldn't call a military serviceman a hero either, so it is what it is.

Finally somebody did this in pro sports. It's been too long. Hopefully the number will increase so even Chris Bosh will not be ashamed to admit it.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

hopefully this inspires more people to come out

i know its just sports, but they play a large part in a lot of peoples lives, i mean shit, look at how much time we all spend on a jets messageboard...

something like this can go a long way in swaying some peoples opinions who may have been on the fence on this issue. the more people that come out, the more people will realize (hopefully) that sexuality has no bearing on a persons merits or abilities.

8. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

With so many beautiful women out there, guys wanna mess with other guys!! SMH..

9. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I think it's widely accepted that half the WNBA is gay and no one gives a shit.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I think God hates bigotry and cruelty towards others. What an absolute ignorant statement.

11. The Great American

I know God hates bigotry. You'll have a hard time proving I hate gays when I have several gay friends and know many families with gay children within my chosen profession. I am very respectful.

HOWEVER, the God of the Bible hates sin. Your god of pop culture may love homosexuality. There's a big difference.

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If you followed the Bible literally, there are many things you and we all as a society do every day that is prohibited.

The Bible also says you should not eat shellfish or wear clothing made of two kinds of material.

The commission of adultery is a commandment, yet it is viewed far more permissibly than homosexuality. Divorce and remarriage is prohibited as is eating ham. I could go on and on.

The reliance on the Bible to discriminate against homosexuals is a sham. The Bible was also used to justify slavery in the Civil War era.

Jesus preached tolerance and love, not bigotry and hatred. How is a consenting relationship between two people of the same sex harming anyone and how is it any of your business or anyone else's to prohibit such relationships?

13. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

this is a big deal for all the wrong reasons, and i can almost guarantee this will not go away soon.

you see, collins is a free agent. a 34 yr old free agent who is coming off a .7, thats right, .7 points a game average.

now, of all times, he decides to come out. i have zero issue with that. he is a man who should be free to live his life in the open honestly and happily. i actually applaud him for this, as most in his shoes don't have the courage to do what he did.

lets go back to the timing tho. so now he needs a new home and is clearly on the decline (he never was much of a player. in his best year he averaged 6 a game.). there is a STRONG possibility he doesnt get picked up.

but now he has a fallback. now hes the guy who came out and no one will sign. now the LGBT community is protesting bc gay jason collins was left out in the cold bc of his lifestyle choices, even tho the reality of it is a 34 yr old, who is 7 ft tall and only averages .7 a game should not be signed based purely on the fact that his game is garbage.

when you look at that part of it, dont you get just a tiny feeling that this was a business move, like how john ameachi came out right around the time he conveniently wrote a book?

i dont see a hero here. i see a guy who figured fuck it, i got nothing else to lose might as well live the way i want to and hopefully it gives me a few more bucks in my pocket.

i hope im wrong but time will tell.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Good for him. I hope it encourages a lot of other guys to come out as well as he's obviously not the only one. I know people are saying that people won't come out because of the issues they will have to deal with but it's only by coming out and helping make it normal that it will ever go away.

The biggest problem with this is that he's not exactly a high profile player and he's a free agent. If he was a big name guy it would have far more impact. I'm not even sure if he'll get signed now, some teams may have been on the fence about him to begin with based on his age and play and now this will bring a whole other side to it. Lots of media attention about it, if there are absolutely any issues regarding homophobic chants by the crowds or slurs from players or players in the locker room not feeling comfortable, etc. etc.

Why would they take the risk on a journeyman guy?

For the record I'm not saying I think it's an issue, I don't at all but I think the other players in the locker room and all the coaches and the owner(s) may feel differently.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

That is absolute bullshit and you know it.

[​IMG]

16. The Great American

17. The Great American

IF you followed the Bible literally (and obviously you don't) then you would know that Jesus ushered in a NEW covenant.

18. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Who cares about this guy coming out? i don't give a flying flank steak either way. it has no bearing on my life. it's simply a media wet dream, and possibly a pretty juicy pay day for the athlete, and in these times, isn't that all that matters in the end? seems like it to me.

I have no problem with Hay-Zeus. He was cool. he is a great guideline on how to treat others. But i find the bible as a whole a great read and simply just that.
    What is your opinion on the old testament? That God was a gangster, nothing more. talk about striking down with wrath.

Man i'm spinning this thing way off topic, but someone tell me why does god always need a son? there were tons of other 'Sons of God" long before "Hay-Zeus". Horus, Mithra, the list goes on and on. They all were born on the 25th of dec., they all performed miracles, healed the sick, and rose from the dead.
    See a pattern here? fuck, even Alexander the Great was referred to as "The son of God" (or Zeus) 356 years before Jesus. I'll stop, i'm bored at the office today and figured i'd headache everyone.

19. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Yeah, all those Christians getting fed to lions for entertainment these days is rough.

One that doesn't mention homosexuality at all. Or does the new covenant only change the things that were getting too inconvenient?