Name a single Pat monster besides Brady?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Longsuffering88, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I don't know what to make of it.

They are a truly an average team with an elite QB and Elite HC.

Can anyone explain how this leads to 15 years of domination?

I'm trying to be honest and non fan based here.

Patriot likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They had a top 3-5 defense in their first three Super Bowl victories. They play in a division that hasn't had a team with any singular quarterback stability since Marino retired (which is the duration of their dominance).

It makes like a whole lot easier to 'dominate' when you can pencil yourself in for a 6-0 to 4-2 division record year in and year out because the best quarterbacks in the division outside of your own have been Chad Pennington and Ryan Tannehill.

They've been far from an average team. They had the most talented wide receiver ever for a 3.5 year period and their defense was elite for the first 7 years of Brady's career. It's also nearing that elite level again at the end.

What's so confusing?

Edit: I don't know why I responded with a thoughtful response because this is a well placed troll job.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Brady and Gronk

Edelman and Amendola

Ninkovitch of the D

Coach/GM works most of the magic...best Management in League

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

When you have monsters, you have to pay them.

When you don't, you can afford a whole team full of smart, tough players who listen, learn, catch, block, cover and tackle.

Unfortunately, identifying these players from a distance and integrating them into a cohesive system is a rare talent indeed.

6. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The pats I find are a much more system oriented team than most. I may be mistaken but when they draft they do pick good players but it's for need not BPA. They have a spot they need filled they draft for it no matter where in the draft. They see a guy that works in their defense best they take that guy...Not necessarily the best guy. Seems to pay huge dividends.

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

There isn't one, you are absolutely right. It is the difference of having a great QB number 1, but more than anything it is having an elite HC. The Jets have neither and that is why we struggle so much to build that consistent success. Being honest, Bellichick bought a lottery ticket and hit big when he drafted Brady. But he's been a great evaluator of talent in his own right. Much better than many other GM's for that matter.

For the Jets to be successful they need to have better front office personnel. Just because a player was taken where he was slated to go in the 1st round by draftniks and so called draft experts does not mean it was a good pick? Sometimes you take a guy that was considered BPA at a certain pick and he turns out to be a total disaster. What it all boils down to is appropriate evaluation of the HC's coaching style also. Our GM has been borderline really bad because he relies too much on what draftniks may think. Leonard Williams was a BPA type draftee and it has turned out great. This guy has consistent pro bowler written all over him. However, other than that, his draft picks have been garbage. If not for a few strokes of luck with WR's like Jaylon Marshall and Robbie Anderson (UDFA's), his entire two drafts have been garbage.

Now the Jets face the daunting task of trying to build a competitive team for 2017 when they are 31st in cap space available. That's the very example of bad General manager ship coupled with bad coaching. I have made this point several times and no one seems to want to acknowledge the obvious. Mac has acquired 5 linebackers in two seasons as GM and yet the HC still has a DT playing stand up linebacker? At the very least if Mac was doing his job, the entire linebacker corps would have overhauled by now. Instead, those linebackers rarely if ever are good enough to spend extensive time on the field. Most, if not all of them, would not start for other GOOD teams.

Now, you can say it is the HC, and you could be right, but I happen to believe it is both. For the longest time I knew Bowles was a bad HC, but I thought Mac had done an admirable job. Until I started truly thinking about it? Like I said, ignoring need to go with the BPA is not always the best decision to make? Sometimes, you need to trade up or down, wheel and deal, and get the guy you truly need while maintaining a certain adherence to best player on the board at a specific time in the draft.

For me the problem is entire front office. Now, it's gotten so bad that the HC gets to throw his assistants under the bus, pin all the blame on them, and the HC gets to keep his job? Please tell me how that makes any sense at all. What's even more exacerbating is what I see coming for 2017? If Bowles does not immediately improve his coaching prowess and the Jets start playing much better, he's going to get fired. possibly as early as mid season. I could see Woody or Woody's brother allowing Mac to fire Bowles and Mac himself gets to hire whom he wants and keep his job. That's just another great example of someone throwing their staff under the bus just so they can save their job? There's no honor in it. It's the very epitome of being sneaky and underhanded, greedy. Holding on to a cash cow for as long as you possibly can.

In a right Jets world, BOTH mac and Toilet would have been shit canned by now. The Jets would be in the process of hiring a another front office in hopes of turning this thing around. Instead, this team, the way it is currently comprised, is staring at a Cleveland Browns type season...

nicg4360 likes this.
  8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

One of the most depressing things is watching the Patriots in pass coverage. Julio Jones had to make three insane catches in the SB because somehow he suddenly couldn't get open.

"Well, Belichick takes your best weapon away."

Yeah, it's just that easy. And so fucking easy for coaches to say "we don't tolerate fumbles or missed tackles or blown coverages around here." Whatever, dude. As soon as the game starts, invariably these mistakes happen over and over on every team.

Except one. Christ, FML.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Same QB running the same system every year.

When the Jets finally do get the right QB, they'll change coaches and/or offensive systems every two years anyway, and the guy will flounder until he gets hurt here, or makes it big for another team.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Belichick, greatest coach of all time. He built it and now the system just keeps churning out wins. Puke.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

They are probably the most white team since the Celtics

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Ya gotta wonder. Every QB that leaves the pats via trade/FA looks great then on another team is just terrible. Not taking anything away from Brady's accomplishments but is BB system that good that he can put in any QB and they look good INCLUDING Tom Brady.

13. It sure helps when you cheat..

14. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Their win % is practically the same inside and outside of the division. They are just as good outside the division as they are inside the division.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not rocket science when you have a coach that puts all of their players in the best situation to succeed [O, D, ST]. Belichick knows what players he needs, and he knows he won't put a player in a bad spot. Well except for a few occasions like the Patriots Colts game where they went for it on 4th down, but that's another story. He keeps it simple and the players know their roles. When you start to go outside your role, you get traded like Jamie Collins plain and simple.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Robert Kraft. Illuminati Vampire, centuries old and just about to move to his next body.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

It's less about the players and more about the team first, do your job, no one is indispensable mindset. The players all buy in because if they don't, they get shipped out. Oh, and cheating.

18. Br4d

And sucking the lifeblood out of an entire sport one gleaming drop at a time.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't buy that. BB took Parcells system, found a QB and stayed hunkered down in his safe spot. If Parcells had stayed with the Giants after he won his second VLT with them in 1990, and spent the next 16 years with them, instead of retiring and bouncing from rebuild to rebuild, he could have had a SB ring for every finger and thumb.

I'm glad he didn't because of what he did for the Jets and because fuck the Giants.

Seriously, other than staying in the same job and lucking out with one draft pick, what does Belichick do better than BP? People act like he drafts well, but the record doesn't bear that out, he just compiles picks and hits somewhere close to average.

20. Br4d

What Belichik does better than any coach in recent history is to make opportunities available to all comers in training camp and kick vets who are about to become a problem, capwise, individual vs teamwise, or just generally likely to decline, off the team like clockwork.

He covets draft picks in the lottery and frequently trades down to get more of them. He trades vets for draft picks, even if they seem like cornerstones of the team - Richard Seymour and all the LB shenangians of the last couple of years are a case in point. He lets vets depart when he didn't manage to trade them in time and he just takes the 3rd/4th round pick he will get in compensation.

The net effect is that he makes many more picks than the average NFL coach and those guys will all get a real shot in training camp. If they don't work out he just cuts them to keep the chaff down, secure in the knowledge that he has extra picks coming in the next draft already.

Basically he runs the tightest ship in the NFL and he does that by making entitlement non-existent in the Pats organization.