My updated review of QBs for the 2018 draft.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Please keep up your research and ignore the insults

We need a young QB for this team...plus 100000 that Joshy M is just another Fitz having a good year on the cusp of football retirement

We need to make an intelligent target for the best QB (hopefully another Wentz haha) and get that guy come draft day...till then the more info the better imo

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

You can see what Stidham is like tonight against Georgia and in 2 weeks against Alabama. These 2 defences will really show if he has "it" or not.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is it guys ...

Last year "was not a good QB class"...well ok

Now we have a laundry list of kids whose stock goes up and down each week

I say go for the gold NOW : who is best in class? Darnold ?Rosen ?Jackson ?Falk? Mac MUST figure this out

Now I am not saying we don't need an OL we do

But you have to be crazy not to think QB IS THE BIGGEST PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where ever we land with our record 7-9 or worse we MUST GET SOMEONE (GOOD ) FROM THIS CLASS

Brad seems to feel trading up got us into trouble going forward ..( tell that to the Eagles and Chiefs and LA Rams...teams that made some very good sacrifices necessary for a blue chip QB with big time payoffs) .Let me say this the Jets will NEVER compete consistently just hiring McGown or the uber expensive route K Cousins...

Here's a clue : Mac has stated that "he doesn't need to look at Petty and Hack to decide on getting a QB" ; even Toilet Bowls said " I have seen our young QBs....Joshy is our boy " Translation : Hack and Petty are done ...cut or traded ..now they are both well educated nice kids and I wish them both luck. But I surely don't get the false idea posters have they will play..

Ask yourself, after 50 years of no SB and 7 with no playoffs if we mortgage the future ...WHAT FUTURE DO WE HAVE TO LOSE???

#24 NYJetsO12, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Stidham is a sophomore only in terms of college football eligibility. He took a year off from football when he transferred from Baylor after the sexual assault scandals but not college. He took classes at a community college during that span. He is a junior in terms of college and thus eligible for the NFL draft. Furthermore, this is not his first year starting. He started 3 games at Baylor before getting hurt.

The 66% CMP you call average is against SEC defenses so it's a lot more impressive than 70%+ in the Big or PAC 12. I find it ironic that he is now getting knocked for his low number of pass attempts per game. Had he stayed at Baylor he would have probably been knocked for putting up video game like numbers in Art Briles' Air Offense against weak Big 12 defenses. If I remember correctly I think he had 12 TDs to just 2 INTs in just 2 1/2 starts and 7 games of garbage time.

The stats you cite are completely out of context. If you watch Auburn play you would know that they run a very gimmicky run heavy offense. And they particularly go run heavy in the red zone. For example, the stats say Stidham had 1 TD against Missouri but if you saw that game you know he could have just as easily had 6+ TDs if this was his old Baylor offense. He got the offense in the red zone many times that game only to be forced to hand it off many times for the score. His RB Kerryon Johnson had 5 rushing TDs that game but just 48 yards on 18 carries; so it tells you that those TDs were of the ground and pound variety. Auburn is 12th in the nation and 2nd only behind Alabama in points per game; so Stidham is helping the offense put up plenty of points.

We should be evaluating the player not their stats or offense anyway. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will continue to profess that Stiham possesses the best "combination" of tools in the class with elite feet and accuracy. I personally think he should come out because
    that offense he is running is doing him no favors in terms of his NFL future. Problem is the kid went to Auburn to win not to prepare for the pros. It commendable on one hand but frustrating for a QB thirsty Jets fan like myself.

#25 legler82, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. legler82

Missed the game but the box score and blow out upset win suggest he played well. I'm to try to find a replay of the game somewhere.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="legler82, The 66% CMP you call average....
    We should be evaluating the player not their stats or offense
    best "combination" of tools in the class with elite feet and accuracy. [/QUOTE]

I said , "To start off he had an above average 66% Cmp%, and a good 9.09 YPA." so you are not able to read. Also I states, "This year is a great foundation, but he should stay in school for at least another." Wtf were you reading?

Seriously, if you think he is a great QB and should come out with two years of eligibility left, you are a moron, and he should be thankful you're not advising him.

Yes he had a good game against Georgia, but check out the tape against Clemson and LSU, and fined one positive thing he did. You won't be able to. He needs another year in college. You would be hard pressed to find teams that would have him a top ten QB. Go ahead search the internet and find any reputable site that has an article less than 2 weeks old that has him in the top ten college QBs. To be honest he is a 5 round pick at best right now and that is counting his game today. If he stays in school he could improve that a lot and make himself millions.

8. legler82

A lot of reputable sites did not have Carson Wentz as a top 5 QB when this "moron", yours truly, posted in this very site as early as I believe October prior to the draft that he was his favorite QB prospect based on film study. A lot of reputable sites also didn't have Mahomes as being drafted in the 1st round around this time in the college season let alone in the top 10 when me and a handful of other morons predicted he should be.

And lets get something straight, I'm a Jets fan first and foremost. I'm not concerned about Stidham's future earnings. I want him to come out for the sole purpose of the Jets drafting him. If we could get him in the 5th, he loses millions and we save millions in the process, I'm a happy man. One of the many reasons I was jumping on the table EARLY for both Wentz and Mahomes is because I felt they were grossly undervalued at the time. I feel the exact same about Stidham.

Outside of Rosen, who I believe is NFL ready as of yesterday, none of the other QBs in the class interest me. With every win, Rosen drifts further and further from our reach. While Darnold has a great natural feel for the game, I can't shake the Fitzpatrick vibe I get from watching him. Down the line I have major issues/concerns with each and every one of them. Stidham is the best ratio of safe and potential out of the rest of the bunch. I don't need another year to know that he is accurate, has great feet and footwork, possess above average athleticism and arm talent, has shown the ability to manipulate safeties with his eyes, go though progressions and protects the ball. The only thing Stidham has yet to show be is the ability to carry his team to victory like Rosen and Darnold. So at worst Stidham ends up being a guy that may not be able to carry a team but will not lose the game for you, not unlike McCown this year. Best case scenario is that we get an Aaron Rodgers type QB. If you are old enough to remember one of the negatives on A-Rod coming out was the some feared he would be just a "system" guy who can't create on his own. Based on the tone of your posts, I doubt you are old enough. Like with Rodgers a good OC could work wonders with the skill sets he already possesses. Lucky for us we seem to may have finally found a good OC. The cherry on top is that those skill sets are ideal for the WCO which we currently run. If I was advising him, I would tell him a year under NFL coaching would make him a better player than another year of running Gus Malzahn's gimmicky offense. But I'm a moron with a specific agenda of trying to get him on the Jets.

Lastly I feel compelled to respond to the referenced Clemson and LSU games, not by coincidence I'm his only 2 losses and worst games of the season. First the Clemson game, while he showed a little rust but holding on to the ball too long a few times, his WRs did fail to separate and the offensive line did not hold up against Clemson's top rank defense. In the post game interviews that week the coaches admitted as such. The LSU loss was a byproduct of Auburn's gimmicky (there's that word again) offense. The offense lacks intermediate throws and routes. Everything is either short or deep. After jumping out to an early lead with deep passes, LSU made adjustments to take away the deep ball. Yet Auburn continued to call the passing plays. Even the announcers on air were questioning why Auburn was not trying to call more pass plays that tested the intermediate part of the field which was available to them. l'll repeat while staying in school may be good for his pockets, I don't believe it will be good for his game.

FJF likes this.
  9. JetsFan

You told me everything you need in these two lines. You actually think he is the 2nd best option for the Jets?

Let me get this straight, you are not interested in Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk or Sam Darnold, but you are interested in a 5th round project that would take a couple years to get NFL ready, if he ever did even become NFL ready. Haven’t you had enough with project QBs, hell we have two on the roster right now. Less than 50% of 1st round QBs make it and the odds go down every round in the draft.

Why not have him stay in school another year and see if he gets better or not. A year on the bench or practice squad in the NFL would be less helpful than playing a year as a starter in college. We could keep the three we have now at QB since the two projects are under cheap contracts anyways. Sign McCown to a 1 year extension. I would rather spend a 3rd round pick in a year on a more proven QB than a 5th round this year for a possible practice squad player.

I feel we need a QB that we can put on the field in 2018 as the starter. Whether from day 1 or at mid-season, we need a QB now and cannot afford to keep kicking the tires of older backups.

10. legler82

I never conceded to the 5th round projection. I was just expressing that getting him that late would be tremendous value. You and only you have designated him as a 5th round project/practice squad player. No offense but your designation means nothing. I'm confident in my QB evaluations always am. I'm also confident that he would climb up boards during the pre-draft process. Being that this class has the potential to be so deep and his limited amount of starts, his rise may not be as high as the aforementioned Wentz and Mahomes but he certainly would NOT be drafted as late as the 5th round. Just because he is new to you don't think for a sec that he is some late blooming came out of nowhere prospect. This is a former 5 star high school recruit (#1 rated dual threat QB) that was being pursued by almost every major school in the country. He was in the same Elite11 class that Rosen and Darnold were part of. If memory serves me right I think he had a higher Elite 11 rank than those 2. If not for Art Briles leaving Baylor in the midst of scandal, he'd be in his 3rd year starting putting up stupid numbers in that pass happy offense. The kind of numbers your stat obsessed ass would be masturbating to.

11. legler82

Oh oh could the bandwagon I'm driving be starting to get some passengers?

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/11/10/new-york-jets-jarrett-stidham-target-2018-nfl-draft/

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. JetsFan

Tell us the truth, are you related, from the same home town, that's your old school, or maybe you just have a bromance going on? NO way he goes as high as you hope, and that is if he even comes out, even though you're talking like is the second coming and every team loves him.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last great duel threat QB? How many SB rings? No, Russell Wilson is not a duel threat in case you were wondering.

13. JetsFan

"Normally when evaluating quarterbacks, it’s safe to go with an experienced player who’s won and shows the tangible skills most scouts look for. Sometimes, though, you should stray from convention and go with your gut. " Even if you had just ate a big bowl of bad mexican? That is so stupid of an article. Forget the top proven QBs with the most experience, get another project and cross your fingers. Less than half the 1st round QB pan out and they are usually the safe picks. How many "gut" feelings pan out? lol