My take on 2018 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s all from shotgun and every pass he made would of been picked or tipped in the pros from the vids you posted. Take a closer look how close those were to being picked or tipped

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Oh come ON!

People will complain all day long about a player not making “tight window throws” but when you post evidence of tight window throws the same people will complain the pass was too close to defenders. All of those passes are in perfect spots that only the receiver can get to.

3. Big Cat

*Baker hits a wide open receiver*: “who cares he’s wide open!”

*Baker threads the needle between defenders*: “that’ll be intercepted in the NFL!”

4. Rockinz

Stupid? Provide me one link saying Baker Mayfield is a top 5 pick in the draft last year.

5. Rockinz

I never said he can’t make tight window throws... I said he doesn’t fit a WCO. If he goes to a team who runs a lot of zone read and shotgun he has a chance otherwise he’ll bust

6. Big Cat

You said all 3 of those passes would be tipped or picked. They were all perfectly placed.

Unless NFL DB’s have Go-Go Gadget Arms

7. Rockinz

The first one the DB in the pros would have tipped it 100%

The second he didn’t even see number 11 underneath and would have been picked (common with short QBs)

The third is a really well placed ball and I’ll give you the benifit of the doubt

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or, he would've made the proper adjustment to prevent them from being tipped/picked.

Unless you can provide proof that you were on the filed for all these "guarantees" you're making, you don't have any evidence Mayfield wouldn't make these throws anywhere he plays. You're just being obstinate.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Am I broadway Joe making guarantees??

This is my opinion. Take it or leave it. Either way I’m cool with it.

I don’t feel Mayfield has the physical and mental attributes to be a pro bowl QB. Does he still have a chance? Yes of course! I just don’t see it especially in a WCO. Like I said before he has a chance if he gets drafted to a shotgun read option offence.

10. ColoradoContrails

Many of your statements about Mayfield failing and Allen succeeding come across as "guarantees". If you're really open-minded you would step back and consider, among other things, that Mayfield has had to make adjustments everywhere he's played, and yet he's been tremendously successful, so why doesn't that tell you that he would be able to make similar adjustments as a pro? Sure, the players are bigger and faster, but so are the guys he's playing WITH, so his protection and receivers will be on a par with the defenses he faces. And it's not like he's played against chopped liver, nor that his OL are midgets so he won't know how to find passing lanes with an OL that isn't significantly bigger than what he plays behind now. And finally, while he's on the low end of the scale of the height you'd like to have, he's over 6' - we can quibble on where you want to round, but 6' 3/4" is closer to 6' 1" than a flat 6 foot, and we have successful examples of QBs who are that height already.

Again, most of your posts are in terms of "absolutes" - Allen "absolutely will be great" or "Mayfield absolutely can't succeed", but you've provided no proof that either is true. And of course you can't, just like none of us can, but speaking for myself, I try my best to stay open-minded.

NCJetsfan, Noam and Big Cat like this.
  11. Big Cat

Brett Favre 6’2”, Aaron Rodgers 6’2”, Drew Brees 6’0”, Russell Wilson 5’11”. These are some of the best of all time. Why are we acting like there’s no precedent for a 6’1” QB succeeding?

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You are probably not aware of the AIQ intelligence test. It was developed to replace the wonderlink test because the wonderlink test (developed in 1934) has not shown a very good link between high scores and football intelligence along with carrying a number of cultural, economic, language and other biases. Because of the poor performance of the Wonderlink the AIQ was developed which measures a football players intelligence in terms of Field awareness, decision making, reaction time, learning, creativity, and adaptability. Mayfield scored the highest score of any player this year and one of the highest scores ever recorded among the 4000+ players who have taken the test.

That bring said all these tests are just tools to assist, confirm observations and put out red flags. The most important message we get from these intelligence tests are not high scores but red flags from extreme low scores like Vince Young's.

#72 Noam, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  13. Big Cat

Well I don’t see this one bit

14. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I'm not sure you can say that about ANY QB really. Even Brady, when you get in his face, makes mistakes.

Maybe what he means is that he makes some big plays when under pressure, because I've seen evidence of that. IDK.

15. Rockinz

Mayfield has made adjustments in a spread offence and that’s not even close in a pro style offence. It’s not an adjustment it’s a giant leap!!!

I don’t care if he’s 6.625’H to me he looks small and even worse plays small. Brock Osweiler is like 6’7 but why does he get so many tipped balls?? Because he plays small. His release point shortens him a good 3-4 inches. Brees on the other hand plays big! His release point is high and that gives him 2-3 inches. Mayfield has a low release and has practically never been under center. This is a bigger red flag than ANYTHING because you can’t fix this without completely breaking Mayfields throwing motion down and rebuilding it. Which I wouldn’t do because it’s compact and quick. He’s perfect for college football but he will be a bust in the nfl UNLESS he goes to a team that’s in shotgun and runs zone read like Carolina or Seattle.

16. Rockinz

I didn’t know that. That’s a positive sign for his football intelligence. I still don’t feel he is a blue chip prospect that is worthy of 3rd overall. To me he’s a 2nd rounder similar to Drew Brees when he came out.

Noam likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Again, you're glossing over the fact that Mayfield HAS made all the adjustments he's needed to make, and while he does need to adjust to taking snaps under center, his track gives evidence that he'll do that. And you're also overlooking the fact that today's offenses use the SG for almost half their plays, and some teams, like the Eagles, use it 70% of the time, so he'll need no adjustments there. Moreover, if his OC is smart (big IF with the Jets), they'll create a system that maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. Given that, there is no reason to think he won't successfully adapt to the NFL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Rockinz

If we draft him I hope your right I really do. I just have my reservations about him because it’s incredibly rare for a 6’ QB coming from a spread offence to succeed. Also when I watch him he doesn’t pass the eye test... everything looks scripted like a true spread offence should and he looks small. His release point is also low for a short QB and that’s not going to help him any...

I just don’t see it. I think he is a gamer and that’s the best quality he has but the more film I watch especially excluding last year the more I don’t think he’s a nfl qb

19. ColoradoContrails

I guess we can agree to disagree.

20. Rockinz

100%

This is the 3rd overall pick. Not a 2nd or 4th round flyer we have had in the past with Geno, Hack and Petty. The guy we draft is going to lead our team for at least the next 3 years no matter how good or bad he is. I just can’t see Mac putting his job/career on the line for Mayfield. It’s similar to the guy who drafted Johnny football. He will NEVER be a GM again because of that mistake.

There is a reason the football world didn’t have mayfield on the map last year at this time and that reason I’ll let you figure out.

FJF and BomberJet like this.