My Post Senior Bowl QB ranking - Some big risers

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Jan 29, 2018.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I know many of you will laugh and make comments, but here is my pre NFL Scouting Combine top 20 with the top ten QBs in order. The second group of ten QBs is listed in no certain ranking, since each one of them was left out of the top ten for one reason or another. All my top 4 are seniors and two are late surprises thanks to the Senior Bowl.

1. Baker Mayfield – Height aside this kid can play and play well. Over the last three years he has been the man. It will take the right offense for him to succeed, and some maturing on his part, but he can be a franchise QB.

2. Mason Rudolph – He lead Mayfield in passing yards and yards from scrimmage with an incredible 37 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs. He was second only to Mayfield in yards per attempt and QB rating with a 65% completion percentage. All this without the supporting cast Mayfield had and none of the fanfair.

3. Kyle Lauletta – On a big stage he showed he can play with the big boys. He has decent size and a good arm. After the Senior Bowl I went back and watched a lot of tape and this kid knows how to play under pressure. His line never gave him a lot of time and he made great throws even while being hit. Honestly before the Senior Bowl I would have put him top ten, but surely not top 3 or even top 5. I was a casualty of the small school stigma and didn’t give him the credit he deserved. Is he the next Wentz or just had the game of his life at the right time? Some team will have to draft him and find out. Will he go top five QB? No, but maybe after a few years they will be saying he should have.

4. Mike White- Looked great on Saturday but was out shined by Lauletta as was everyone else. Good stats, good size, good arm, what is there not to like about him? Only 3 QBs put up more yards and his 65.7% was also 3rd highest. His 368 completions were by far the best and 83 more than Mayfield this season. He is coachable and looked good under center.

5. Josh Rosen – Injury concerns are a big factor why he is lower. He has had his share is injuries and is not very mobile. If you add in his teams losing record, some bad performance and losses to some of his peer on the list, he is a risk to take in the top five QBs, be will probably go top 2 QB.

6. Sam Darnold – I feel he is the typical overrated USC QB, and he regressed after a great 2016 season. He will probably be a top 3 QB off the board, and if he was from any college except USC I would have him higher. After watching all his games last year I was on the Darnold bandwagon, but the feeling has cooled quite a bit. I agree he has a higher ceiling than some ahead of him on my list. I think he should have stayed in school, but can’t blame him for taking the money and run.

7. Riley Ferguson – He has the arm and height, but lacks the mass. His stats alone would put him top 3, but he is not consistence and sometimes makes you scratch your head. With a year behind a veteran and at least 20 more pounds he could be something special.

8. Logan Woodside – He lacks the size and not as good as Mayfield, but he put up some good numbers and if it wasn’t for his meltdown versus Appalachian State, he might be higher. His yards per attempt, yards passing, comp%, TDs and QB rating were all in the top 5 of these 20 QBs listed.

9. J.T. Barrett – I don’t care for duel threat QBs because the NFL has a way of taking away their running and they are left with just their arm, but he is pretty good. I don’t worry about the Jets getting him since they will have their guy way before he gets off the board.

10. Luke Falk – He has good size and good arm, with a very good comp% in college, but that is because he was throwing so many short passes. His 6.7 yards for attempt is tied with Josh Allen for lowest of all these 20 Qbs.

Next ten QBs in no special order.

Josh Allan - I expect to get the most flack about Josh Allen, but out of all twenty I ranked he had the lowest stats (except Max Browne who was injured). Allan was at the bottom of all QBs in attempts, completion, completion percentage, total yardage, total TDs, yards after the catch, yards per attempt, and even longest play from scrimmage. Allen was even 18th out of 20 in QB rating, yet many think he is a top five QB. He is the least accurate QB with 56.3% and had a horrible yards per of attempt of 6.7.

Nick Stevens – Colorado State

Brandon Silvers – Troy

Lamar Jackson – Louisville

Max Browne (Injury) – Pittsburgh (He has everything you like, but is very raw after missing most of the season. Up to the injury he had balls to the wall and accurate as hell. Could have been the one year wonder everyone was going to be talking about.

Kurt Benkert - Virginia

Chase Litton - Marshall

Tanner Lee - Nebraska

Matt Linehan - Idaho

Brogan Roback - Eastern Michigan

In closing any of these guys could be great or busts, it all depends on the coaches, play calling and support staff. Look at Case Keenan and Nick Foles who were both on the Rams in 2015 but the Rams didn’t know how to use them and instead drafted Goff. This year Keenan and Foles were playing against each other in the championship while Goff who had looked horrible in 2016 had an incredible year in 2017 thanks to good coaching.

As some have already said, it doesn’t really matter who the Jets draft, they will ruin him anyways.

2. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Lauletta looked absolutely incredible with his footwork and pocket presence. One of the few guys I wouldn't be upset with if we miss out on the big guys

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I like Lauletta a lot. He could sneak into the day two. He screams Patriots to me. His footwork and arm strength are really impressive and he definitely has a touch to his throw. I would like to get him, but we need a hole in one right about now. He is going to surprise a lot of people.

#3 Martin&theJETS, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lmao JT Barrett. What the hell? What is OP watching?

JethroTull likes this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Don’t quit your day job

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. JetsFan

Well being that I live less than an hour from where he played for four years, I'm pretty sure in what I was thinking.

1. Over four years as a starter he never had less than a 61.5% passing.
    2. Over four years as a starter he averaged 63.5% passing completing 769 of 1211 attempts.
    3. Through for 104 TDs and rushed for 43 TDs, with only 30 interceptions and 75 Sacks.
    4. He passed for 9,434 yards while running for 3,263 yards against some of the best defenses in college.
    5. Lead his team to a National Championship.

So why don't you tell me what the hell you were watching.

I don't want him as our QB, but he is a top ten QB coming out of college.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So this is about the best college qbs and not about pro prospects?
    That makes sense of the list but it’s in the wrong forum.

8. JetsFan

You never have anything good to say, and can never think of anything constructive, so you insult what you can't understand. You are a special kind of stupid.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Stop it, Barrett is not a top 10 qb in any sense of the word. Using only statistics / wins as your only argument shows me you know nothing about these players. Let me be for real with you for a moment, why do you make these topics year in and year out?

lmao JT Barrett, imagine someone thinking that

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  10. JetsFan

You seem to lack in reading understanding. This is my ranking on how I feel they should be drafted and how I feel their chances are at being productive NFL QBs. Yet any draft pick needs a coach and offense that matches their skill set. They all could fail if they had the Jets or Browns CS.

11. JetsFan

You make statements with no reasoning. You don't say what is wrong with him or who you like better, because that would take understanding, thinking and actual time to put a coherent thought together. Just crawl back under your rock like a good troll.

12. 101GangGreen101

Anyone that has watched JT Barrett play knows damn well he can't play QB at the next level. He surely wasn't 10 of the best college QBs last year. In recent years he severely limited that offense. They haven't been able to hang with any of the playoff teams for the most part. Huge blowout to Clemson, huge loss to OK ... can't put up points, very good OSU defense as well. He cannot play the position at the next level, that includes every aspect of it.

JohnnyP123456 and FJF like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Oh, my mistake, horrible list then

14. 101GangGreen101

you know this list is just funny to take a glance at ... doesn't list not one strength or weakness of a prospect. It's almost like he went on a stats website did some sorting and presto

FJF likes this.
  15. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

How are J Allen or Lamar not coachable?
    If i'm being completely honest, the first time I've even seen Woodside talked about as a QB prospect and yet he's in your top ten. I don't know about that.
    Also, pretty confident that JT Barrett is not going to be an answer as a NFL QB either

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hey I mean this may be way out there now compared to most others' rankings, but if you looked back at draft classes from years back the rankings in actuality would be WAY different from the order guys were actually drafted or ranked by others pre draft.

Lauletta And Falk are starting to sound better and better, but with how bad this team need a FQB, it would be bold, at best, to wait until the 2nd to get one of those. I'm still on board to draft one of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold at 6, but still just too skeptical of Allen there

17. JetsFan

Point to ponder.
    What people on here seem to forget in when you say 9-12 best QB range, you are talking about guys that will in the 6-7 round if drafted at all. In 2017 there were only 10 QBs drafted, and on average only twelve get drafted in any given year. The most drafted in a year was 15 QBs which even if this is a great year, five of these guys I listed will be FA QBs hoping just for a tryout. You all seem to act like there is a dozen 1-2 round prospects headed to the draft. There might actually be five QB drafted in the 1st round this year, but it would probably take the next 5-6 rounds to see the next five QBs off the board. There is a big drop off after the first 5 or maybe 7 QBs depending on who you like. Most these guys on any of our lists will not be starters and half may never even start a NFL game during their career.. There are always more Hack and Petty than there are Wentz or Goff.

The amazing thing is the odds are probably better that some team out there will end up getting an eventual starting QB as a FA signing out of this draft, than the Jets actually picking the right future franchise QB. I expected flack on some things but the amount of people commenting on me suggesting J.T. Barrett who was a four year starter, and National Championship QB might be a 6-7 round pick was not what I was thinking. Get a grip everyone and realize these threads by all of us are nothing but conjecture by people whose season was long ago.

18. JetsFan

1. I listen to Pat and JIm every day on the radio (Xm/Sirius) and they were at the Senior Bowl all last week. They interviewed the kid, stating White is very coachable and talking about his ability.
    2. I never said that Allan wasn't coachable, but he does lack the accuracy needed and it has never improved.
    3. Even though Allan and Lamar are high on some peoples list I don't think either are worth drafting, unless with a 7th round pick.
    4. If you did your own research and watched film (youtube), you would know the name Woodside. Maybe because I'm in Ohio I know more, but this kid can play and is way more accurate than Allan. Once again we are taking 5th round area at best.
    5. I agree "JT Barrett is not going to be an answer as a NFL QB". He is a duel threat QB that runs too much and in the NFL that doesn't work well. We are talking a 6-7 round QB prospect here.

Hope this explained more.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You did a decent job here..interesting observations

I think Mason Rudolf a sleeper too...Petty not the same class of player so nix the comparison

Baker M a winner

Those Oklahoma boys are Special

Darnold went down a bit in my eyes ...but you should not discount Josh R so readily as JOsh A which I get completely

Have not seen Laletta play will check it out

westiedog1 and JetsFan like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 10k on K Lauletta

Was not Wentz from FCS????????

I went to a school in the FCS and let me tell you there is TONs of talent there

Richmond and James Madison are yearly contenders for the FCS title and this guy is one of the reasons why

Beautiful touch on that ball!

Hey...we took 2 safeties last year LETS TAKE 2 QBS for insurance

Grab this kid in round 2 ...

Go ALL OUT ON a Offense Mike Mcdoodling !!!! It's about time

ColoradoContrails likes this.