My impressions of the combine....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Trey Ko, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

As I'm sitting here in my hotel room, with yet, another cancelled flight, I ponder what I have seen over the past couple of days, and confirming what I had expected from some prospects.

I believe that a power running game begins and ends with guard play. Just like tackles protect the QB and their value is obvious, it's the same way a powerful, mauling guard sets the tempo for a very good inside running game.

To that end, I would recommend the Jets take a long look at Manny Ramirez, OG from Texas Tech. Not only did he hit 40 reps on the bench, but he does hold the school record at Tech with a bench of 550 lbs.

Now, it does take more than shear power to succeed in the NFL; you also have to have intelligence, well, Manny, as an OG called the plays at the line for the Red Raiders (An assignment usually reserved for centers).

I believe most importantly, playing at Tech, in which they threw the ball in excess of 70 times per game, shows that he is an excellent pass blocker as well. What's even more unique about the Tech line is that their splits are nearly 3 yards wide!!! That means that their linemen are nearly on an island just like a corner; thus, Ramirez has extensive experience in battling one on one. Because of his power and technique, it's a natural for him to run block; that my friends sounds great to me. Guards don't go high, so the Jets have a shot in the 2nd or 3rd round to get him.

6'3" 335 lbs with room to add another 10 pounds??? That's freakish!

By the way, he graded 85.3% and gave up 2 sacks in 656 plays....

#1 Trey Ko, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Interesting. Shame they don't compose highlight reels for guards.

3. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

They do, it's just that the scouts are the ones who watch them.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Yeah, I was thinking more youtube than coaches rooms, if you get my drift. I'd like to see something like that, even though I am largely ambivolent to edited "best of" tapes. I'd rather see a "worst of" tape so I would know what work needed to be done!

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

what I wouldn't give for coaches' tapes. The all-22 is a dream of mine - am I a loser?

Good tip, don't know the guy, but frankly, I don't think I'm qualified to judge any linemen anyway. But still, thanks for your info Trey Ko, you da man.

6. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

GOOD POSTING...

Like I've been saying, this draft is an excellent opportunity for the Jets to solidify both Lines...

Blaylock or Ramirez at G and a slew of DL prospects in their range....

I'd be happy to see the 1st 3 picks go to the lines.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

NIce pickup I'm sure- what round is he projected to land in?

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

im guessing middle 2nd through late 3rd

9. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

more like 4th or 5th i would say.

10. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Well, I'm heading out of here to go to the airport. I've been canceled twice, but I guess they'll make good today.

I'll get back on when I get back to Jacksonville, which is expected around 9:35 pm.

You all have been an exceptional audience!!! :wink:

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Trey, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. You're our inside source to all that is "combine-related."

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Is it just me or is there a general malaise about the combine and coverage this year? I remember it being a bigger deal in the past? Maybe due to the picks we had a year ago?

13. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Great info Trey, you've been awesome all weekend.... I'm sure myself, among others on this board will take a long look into this guy and see if he's a fit. From everything you said, he seems awesome....

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One question about Ramirez: how has his run blocking actually been at Texas Tech? With their air first style he probably has gotten most of his experience in pocket protection and rolling out to form a moving pocket for a sprintout right or left?

15. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Y, thank you very much. I would love for the JETS to take this player!

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info you've been posting Trey Ko.

But, I hate to tell you, Manny Ramirez plays baseball, for the Red Sox.

:lol: But for real, I don't know too much about him, but maybe he's a good pick in the later rounds.