My health status

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by KurtTheJetsFan, May 8, 2013.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no sweat - i should have asked u in a PM instead. my bad.

if u have any questions moving forward just shoot me a PM.

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Ugh, Kurt. I'm here wishing you well. You too, winnie.

I feel like I want to make a joke about how you should be encouraged because some people recover so quickly they can be out of brain surgery and home doing their taxes in less than a week.

That still kills me. But I won't make the joke.

Be well and stay well. Both.

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about this, Kurt. You and Biggs both seem like good people. I know you will fight this disease. Believe in God and the universe (or whatever religion you believe in).

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Wishing you the best Kurt. Sending you positive thoughts.

5. *Bump*

I'm happy to report in Feb i underwent a successful kidney transplant. After 3.5 years of multiple forms of dialysis...they popped the kidney in..pumped me full of anti rejection meds & after 3 days i was walking out of Hartford hospital feeling the best I have in a long LONG time.Yep 3 days. Totally unheard of.

I'm very grateful for my new lease on life. Of course...this comes w. a whole new set of challenges.For one..I'm a father now...but a part of me wants to go back 4 years before everything went down to live out some of the youthful joy I missed out on. That's proven to be tricky. I was pretty successful in my career path prior to the doomful diagnosis...now I've been out of work for so long it's hard to get a call back. You'd think explaining my circumstances would be viable for employers..but they just move on to other candidates w.o fail.On a lighter note...I no longer have the dietary restrictions i had before. Food tastes a million times better. It's like I ate cheetos for the first time. You combine that w. the prednisone that I'll be on for the rest of my life..and yeesh...gotta watch the weight.

I lost alot of friends & loved one's company during my down period. When you experience this type of of illness you find out who your real friends are. People just completely shut down...as if you've already passed on. I urge all of you that encounter situations w. loved ones much like this:You don't have to solve all their problems,you don't have to tell them everything is gonna be ok, you don't have to understand everything that is going on medically. All you need to do is show love & support the best ways you know how.Just be there.

I wanna thank everyone who was supportive of me & kept me in their thoughts & prayers. I'm far from religious..But I feel blessed to have such strong bonds w. a bunch of screen names on a football message board.

I hope Biggs and others with significant health issues have found solutions & peace. If anyone should encounter similar circumstance be it personally or with a loved one...do not hesitate to PM me.

Thank you all again

#45 KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hang in there and enjoy the rest of your life; may it be long.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Quite an amazing post... Nothing but positive vibes and love on your continued healing.

So when can you drink? lol... I kid.. Glad to hear you are on the up and up now..
    afa who your real friends are..I know exactly what you mean.
    but no time for that.. your mental state and attitude are so important to heal oneself.

Much Love Kurt..

[​IMG]

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Great to hear Kurt, you've been thru a lot, hang in there, better days are ahead of you...

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Kurt ,as everyone else has said I hope you are doing well ! My dad has been going 3 days a week for years and I know how grueling that is . Feel better

10. Thanks for the kind words.

And yes I actually can drink,lol. Of course,those who know me..know i prefer my vices in an herbal form. That came about as a result of all of this too. I was on peritoneal dialysis for about 3 years after a few months on hemo. For those who dont know the difference..Peritoneal is done completely within a region of the stomach...filling/dwelling/draining dextrose solution about 6 times a night.Every night. There were many days I had to force food down but for smoking..not to mention the mental toll.I was lucky enough to qualify for medicinal.

I had my first drink about a month after my discharge. i made it count at a top shelf open bar at a work event for my wife. Scotch w. a splash of coke. Man did that taste good. It was nice to actually be able to be buzzed after only one drink. Any "lightweights" out there should count their blessings. Of course now..after a few more times drinking I'm back to an 8 beer/4 drink minimum to feel any sort of buzz lol

BrowningNagle and Royal Tee like this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Well... 6x a night would absolutely qualify for an analysis to ones mental status...wow..
    ftr, I love my Medicinal also..although I don't really Qualify :)

We'll set up a sesh... or just come the fk thru! ;)

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Kurt damn an old school poster, glad to hear your doing well bro cheers to u and man those drinks must taste really good right now.

Royal Tee and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Great news Kurt!!!!

Royal Tee and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Kurt,
    I really do apologize....never saw this initial thread. Really happy to see some kind of normalcy returning to your life. Battles like this give us a different outlook on life so enjoy this second chance sir!!! Really rooting for you bud...you have always been a great guy on this site. Jay

KurtTheJetsFan and Royal Tee like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sorry for your troubles. Renal failure/dialysis ain't no joke. I entreat anyone and everyone to make your friends and relatives know verbally that you want your organs donated and also put it in writing. It's an incredible gift of life. Also, write to the DMV and make sure it's on your license. As much as the DMV sucks, you can do it via snail mail, and it's pretty easy to do.

One of my dearest friends is an organ donor advocate. There's a lot of crap that goes on (people shooting to the top of the list), but I don't want to digress. Anyway, she's a double lung transplant recipient (Cystic Fibrosis) going on 17 years now. She met Alonzo Mourning years back at a benefit for organ donor awareness and said he was a little bit of a dick (lol - everyone is entitled to a bad mood), and she also got to ring the opening bell on the NYSE. She's my personal rock star. Blessings and stai bene.

#55 jetophile, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan, mute and Royal Tee like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

God bless man. Glad to hear everything worked out and you're doing well. Everything happens for a reason bud.

Well wishes!

17. Thanks for the kind words.

There are absolutely alot of politics that go on within the transplant community. That said it is a 2 way street. There are alot of transplant candidates who don't do what they are told health wise to remain in optimal status. There are also alot of folks who are lukewarm at best about even undergoing a transplant but for whatever reason don't make their true intentions known which sort of clogs up the whole system.

Despite being a rebel at heart I did literally every little thing my providers told me. I left the thinking to them for better or worse. They told me to jump..I asked how high? It was not always pleasant but I knew that i had to do what was best for my long term well being as well as my loved one's. I was able to make my way up the list despite having a long shot blood type.

Funny about Alonzo Mourning.I'm pretty sure he has the same kidney disease I have(FSGS) & even considered writing him for perspective. Not surprising what your friend said however.

18. jetophile

You're so very welcome. Being compliant is tantamount for sure. I think that also in some cases people become so sick of being sick that they just stop caring (see brittle diabetics - it's classic). Heh, on Mourning. Yes, I do believe he does have FSGS. I'm sure he would've written back to you, though - if he wasn't busy being a little of a dick. ; ) Much luck to you.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Fuck Yeah.... great news. Enjoy Life to the fullest!

20. jetophile

#60 jetophile, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017