My first Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DonnieIsTheKing, Jan 18, 2007.

1. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Resign
    OT Anthony Clement
    DT Rashad Moore
    CB Hank Poteat
    OL Norm Katnik

Cut or Trade
    QB Patrick Ramsey
    HB Cedric Houston
    HB Derrick Blaylock
    WR Justin McCareins
    LB Eric Barton
    CB David Barrett

Signings
    CB Asante Samuel
    TE Daniel Graham
    (Yea, they're everyone's favorites)

Draft
    1. DE Adam Carriker, Nebraska - Prototypical 3-4 DE that fills a gaping hole
    2a. DE/OLB Anthony Spencer, Purdue- Very balanced in the pass rush and the run defense and will push Hobson inside.
    2b. OG Josh Beekman, Boston College- Massive strong run blocker who can compete right away with Brandon Moore
    3. WR Paul Williams, Fresno State- Burner that will replace J-Mac as our "deep threat" and can also return punts
    5. HB Tyrone Moss, Miami- 5'9" and 230 pounds? He's HUGE! Great compliment to Leon. Also, oft-injured Miami running backs have a good recent history in the NFL
    6. QB Jared Zabransky, Boise State- Very experienced QB with good agility, and may bring an extra something to this O. Good potential backup for Kellen Clemens.
    7. FB Deon Anderson, Connecticut- Very, very good blocker

New player
    QB Pennington, Clemens, Jared Zabransky
    HB Barlow, Washington, Tyrone Moss
    FB Askew, Deon Anderson
    WR Coles, Cotch, Smith, Paul Williams, Dwight
    TE Daniel Graham, Baker, Ryan
    LT D'Brick, Jones
    LG Kendall, Katnik
    C Mangold, Katnik
    RG Moore/Josh Beekman, other backs up
    RT Clement, Jones/Katnik

DE Ellis, Mosley
    NT Robertson, Moore
    DE Adam Carriker, Oelhoffen
    OLB Thomas, Chatham
    ILB Vilma, Kassell
    ILB Hobson, Schlegel
    OLB Anthony Spencer, Chatham
    CB Asante Samuel, Dyson, Miller, Poteat, Coleman
    FS Rhodes, Smith
    SS Coleman, Washington

K Nuge
    P Graham
    KR Miller
    PR Paul Williams/Washington/Dwight

2. The U

The U Member

Not too bad, I;m not sure about signing Daniel Graham. If that was our draft I would be very happy. Zabransky would be a nice late round choice. Carriker is the DE the DL needs. Paul Williams is another nice pick, this team lacks a WR with game changing speed.

3. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

You are getting rid of Houston and keeping Barlow??

4. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

Zabransky would be a great late round pick. Nice late round RB addition and love the Paul Williams pick. You did probably the best job possible in filling all of our holes through FA and the draft and still making some value picks later in the draft. The one thing I don't like is cutting Houston over Barlow. Houston is barely making anything, so I don't really see him as a candidate to be cut. Also, I would try to restructure Barton's contract (depth at LB) as well as Barrett's (he's proven this year he can be a solid CB, and we already have a lack of depth and lack of talent at that position; however, if he doesn't restructure, then definitely cut him).

5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Donnie, nice job, realistic possibilities.

Like others, I'd rather keep Houston over Barlow. I give Houston a slight edge in on field ability and he'll be much cheaper. I also think Barton should stay until we know we have a replacement.... depending entirely on a rookie LB is a bit risky for my blood, but drafting an OLB is a must.

I think Graham is the most over rated FA on the market. I'd rather stick with Baker and see if we can get a TE on day two of the draft.

Love the Carriker pick, but he's going pretty early in most mocks these days... not sure he'll be there. There are some DT's in this draft that could be moved to DE in a 3-4, and it's fairly deep with that sort of DT's. I could see the Jets going in that direction too, especially if Carriker is off the board. That kid Francis could be a nice fit with the second of our two 2nd round picks.

I hope Tangini is thinking the way the rest of us are on Samuel...... CB's in the draft are a crapshoot.

So much will change after the Senior bowl and the combine, but it is fun to guess! Again, nice job here.

6. lightning

lightning Active Member

Daniel Graham as a blocker is much better than what we have. I wouldn't mind that signing.

7. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

This is a good off-season except some major needs were not adressed. We did get better on the front 7 on defense, except our running game did not improve at all. We did not get a better running back and we did improve the offensive line. I think improving the offensive line is our main need right now, we need to get a good RG or RT, and Beekman is not that guy. I mean like a proven veteran at one of those positions. I also think our running back situation GOT WORSE in this. We let go of Houston (our second best back this season) and get back Tyrone Moss. Moss will never be anything in the NFL. He is way to injury prone and too slow.

Good job for the most part, but I think you only adressed half of our needs.

8. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Trying to make it somewhat realistic, I kept Barlow (who I think the FO will keep... unfortunately) and dumped Houston. I think Barlow will be much better if he can get healthy.

As a couple of people have been saying, maybe I should've picked up a solid veteran RG or RT to help improve the running game. How's Roman Oben been playing the past year or two? I know 2 or 3 years ago he would have made a fantastic RT, but I haven't heard much of him since. Steinbach would be the other big name I see on the market, unless we want to overpay for Davis and get an oversized stud.

9. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Unfortunately I think we are looking at an offseason where only half our needs will be filled. Despite the great season and high expectations for next season the Jets still need significant upgrades on both sides of the ball. It will be difficult to address all of our needs in one offseason.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I agree, you can't fill all the needs in one offseason. The key imo is to continue to concentrate on defensive lineman, offensive lineman and tight ends. Once our lines are built then next year they can go get a nasty running back and other skill players.

11. Tight

Tight Active Member

Sounds good, a little too optimistic though. I'd be estatic if the draft happens like this.

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't understand the negative views on Barton and I can't see an offseason going by without more attention being paid to the OL than in this mock.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Woah... Barlow starting at HB?

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I would be dissapointed if Barlow was the Jets starting RB next year like you have it in your Depth Chart.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

No way Barlow starts in 07. Why would we cut or trade barton. he was are 2nd best LB behind Thomas.