My evaluation of the Jet's 2017 draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 30, 2017.

1. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

We absolutely did not need to sign all those high-priced free agents. The rebuild should've started immediately instead of running around like a college kid with his first credit card. We 'went for it' with Ryan frikin Fitzpatrick as our quarterback and as a result we still do not have a quarterback and offense is in shambles. Let's not give Mac a pass he is responsible for the shape of our roster he needs to go !!!

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're wrong. We had to because Idzik and Tanny had not spent enough. It was mandated by the league. Go look it up.

I agree that the rebuild should have started immediately, but that's not what Woody wanted. Woody set a mandate to make the playoffs. Try to keep up.

#22 NCJetsfan, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Revisionist history, they had no intention of starting fitz until the serial face puncher struck again. The idea was to evaluate geno and roll from there. Mac had to spend to get over the threshold and built a team to give a young qb a chance. Fitz ended up reaping those benefits. The criticism of mac was not recognizing the fools gold and going in on fitz a 2nd year. That may have had something to do with the billboard near Newark airport when mac first flew in though so how can you blame him?

4. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

That money could've easily been spent more wisely. We should have signed Mo way earlier instead of waiting and having to overspend. In typical Jets fashion we go bargain basement on the quarterback and spend like crazy on overrated defensive players. Now Mac has completely ignored the offensive line and outfitted our bottom 3 in the league quarterback group with a bunch of WR 3s and replaceable RBs. If our GM is afraid of a wuss like Woodys mandates we are in trouble.

Thanks for getting me up to speed.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you bail on a GM after 2 years and immediately sign a bunch of late prime players you are guaranteeing some pain a couple of years down the road as the late prime guys age out and the ex-GM's plan goes to ruin because he's no longer there to execute it.

That said, Idzik's drafts were so weak that we were screwed either way. 2013 was built in when he took over but they should have massacred the personnel dept and had all new faces for 2014 and that did not happen until after Idzik was gone. If that was his call, well that's how you lose GM jobs. I still think he should have had 2015 to fix things with a new personnel dept instead of handing things off to a new GM who then blew out the personnel dept but I have no idea if he would have fixed things given that year.

I do know he wouldn't have spent like a drunken sailor on over the hill free agents. The question is: where was he planning to put that money?

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Having decided that Idzik was a disaster - what else do you call it when you fire a guy after two years when you promised him 5? - the situation demanded a total rebuild at that point. After all, if the talent was so bad Idzik had to be fired, what are you basing a "competitive rebuild" on? Conversely, if the talent was good enough to attempt to compete, why did you fire the guy who built it? I firmly believe that Idzik was a bad hire, and a poor GM and had to be fired, but it was a crippling decision to not do a total rebuild at that point. What I don't know is: Did Woody demand this approach, or was it Macc's decision? Either way, the guilty party is still on the job, which doesn't provide a lot of confidence that they'll get ti right this time.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You are clueless. It's not a matter of being afraid of Woody. Woody is his BOSS. You do what your boss tells you do, or you don't have a job. It's that simple.

Both Idizk and Mac tried to re-sign Mo earlier and he or his agents wouldn't. They wanted to see what a couple of other players got. You have no idea if they would have been able to sign Mo more cheaply, so quit talking about it as if it's a fact. It isn't. It's only speculation on your part.

Mac hasn't ignored the OL. You don't use high picks on the OL in an awful draft for OL.

You aren't up to speed, and probably never will be.

8. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

I hope to one day have half the knowledge that you do bud. First off Rex made woody his b--ch so There's that. Wilkerson absolutely could've been signed earlier they were many reports of his side being upset without a contract he ended up making more guaranteed money then JJ Watt which is a complete joke, contract values jumped significantly between Macs first and second years.

When it comes to the offensive line in three drafts Mac has taken 2 offensive lineman both in the fifth round while our line was getting older and older. So you're telling me there hasn't been a good offense of line men in the past three drafts. Meanwhile he gives his clueless coach all the defensive players he wants. These guys are so far in over their heads they have no clue what they're doing. The League is set up for offenses to succeed and we have bottom 3 weapons. Our defense is going to get stomped out this year because our offense is going to go three and out every Drive. Why are we giving Mac A pass?