My evaluation of the Jet's 2017 draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 30, 2017.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I didn't post this past week, busy with work, golfing and working around the house.

First, let me say the draft at certain times was a circus, it's embarrassing. The NFL has turned it into a laughing stock.

As far as the Jet's draft, I won't give it a grade, grading drafts this early is a waste of time. But, we are off to a good start.

I knew as soon as Chicago took the QB we were going to get a significant player. The key was the Titans' reaching for a WR, very similar to 2 years' ago Washington reaching for the OG and not drafting Williams. If Adams was gone, I believe we would have drafted Howard. I think the medical on Lattimore concerned the Jets and Hooker was overrated which was proven that he wasn't drafted in the top ten.

I never put Adams in one of my 2 mocks, because anyone in their right mind wouldn't believe he would fall to #6. We drafted my favorite player in this entire draft, I can't believe some wanted Hooker over Adams. I was praying SF & Tennessee wasn't going to draft him. There was a lot of talk John Lynch loved Adams and we know what position Lynch played.

Maye is a great player, he is going to impress Jet fans. I know a lot of people wonder why we took another safety, it just says what Mac & Bowles think of Pryor & Gilchrist. I love Stewart, he's an exciting player that is very physical for his size.

I had Elijah McGuire in my last mock for the Jets, I think he's going to be on the 53 man roster, a good addition.

The trading back got a little excessive, but Mac wanted many picks hoping to increase the odds of a few late rounders turning into good NFL players. The old saying, "throw a bunch on the wall and hope a few stick".

I would have liked to have taken a CB earlier, this was the best CB draft I've ever seen. I also wanted one of the centers that was falling late in the draft. The O-Line still is questionable, especially at Tackle and center depth.

There is no perfect draft and you can't fill your needs in one weekend, but it was refreshing seeing almost the entire Jet community rejoicing with the JAMAL ADAMS selection, so rare as long time Jet fans.

Overall, it was a good weekend to be a Jet Fan.

2. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

But Mac and Bowles signed Gilchrist. That wasn't handed to them by the Rex era. Sure Maye is a good player. I actually didn't see anyone in round 2 besides Cook Togo after. It will be a good draft when we look back

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It was a real bummer we did not hit on CB until the 6th. Sounds like they have confidence in Burris and McDougle. Hopefully Skrine plays average. He has been so terrible recently.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Gilchrist was the best FA FS available when Mac and Bowles were hired. He played well in 2015, but was exposed this past season. What were they supposed to do, just no address the FS position?

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Another factor to consider is, despite so much bitching about "we don't need offense" after the two safeties were picked, the Jets added two receivers and a tight end who could / should all immediately contribute and provide more weapons for our quarterback group. While the receivers we drafted likely won't end up as the #1, they should both get opportunities to get on the field and contribute. More competition is always a good thing at receiver. Jalin Marshall let the Jets down and Devin Smith tore his ACL. Rather than allow the offense to deteriorate like Tanny did with Sanchez, Mac acted to keep our receiving lineup fully stocked.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Would you give maye a first round grade i hardly watched tape on him coming into the draft you think he is better then keanu neal? And who you think will play the Free Safety position him or Adams. I love the Adams pick obviously but back to back safetys was a bit excessive i belive while sidney jones and joe mixon were on the board.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I think you meant to say Darryl Roberts instead of McDougle. Dexter has been lucky to dress on Sundays.

Looks like its going to be Claiborne, Skrine, Marcus Williams, Juston Burris, Darryl Roberts & probably be looking for some vet getting cut during training camp.
    I really like this Jeremy Clark from Michigan, though. Was projected 2nd or 3rd rounder prior to 2016 season but he tore his ACL. Big & mean. Excels in press-man coverage. Guy ran 4.59 with 20 reps.

I just hope that 2 or 3yrs from now we don't regret passing on Pat Elflein or Dan Feeney at #70. I know we have James Carpenter under contract the next 2 seasons at a very good $ rate & that we just re-signed Brian Winter. And I was a big proponent of keeping Wesley Johnson at C. You just never know who is going to be at 70 when its OTC as opposed to where that player was projected a month earlier.

8. wewantsapp

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I forgot about Roberts. But, when Coach Bowles was talking he mentioned Burris and McDougle.

10. wewantsapp

Jeez, he talked about McDougle? I missed that. Hopefully we get SOMETHING from this kid. BIG reach by John Idzik in the 3rd round. Kid could've been had in the 5th or 6th round.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow OP, you won't grade the draft but you will grade the players before they have played even one NFL down?

12. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I like what I have seen from Burris. I expect him to be a significant contributor this season.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That is my biggest disappointment, but you can do it all in one draft, overall I'm pleased with most of our selections.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I haven't graded anyone. You still wear your 2008 award very well, loser.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Let's hope you're right.

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I projected Maye to go very late Rd 1 or early 2. I think people are too concerned about FS/SS both players can play both positions and will have similar roles at times. I stated back in Jan or Feb Adams isn't just a SS and took a lot of crap. Neal is a good player, too early to judge how Maye will compare. A lot of people are sleeping on Maye, he's very solid player.

17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

When Mac was hired as GM he made a lot of high price screw-ups on our secondary. He signed Cromartie, Revis, Gilchrist, and Skrine. All were overpaid and over hyped. I'm expecting a new GM and HC next year.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Both were Rookie hires, but Mac is the one thats improving

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Those signings were not screw ups. All played well for the Jets in 2015.

Mac had to over pay to get those first FAs to sign with the Jets. Teams signing big-name FAs always have to overpay. The Jets had to spend a LOT of money, and needed to totally remake the secondary. The only way to accomplish both was by signing vets with bigger contracts who had proven themselves in the league. Mac got the best FAs he could to help the team. Yes, in retrospect some of the signing look like a mistake, but at the time, I doubt that anyone could have done any better.

No one could have suspected that Revis' play would fall off a cliff like they did or that he would dog it. Further, Woody had all but tampered to get Revis to come back. Mac had little choice but to sign Revis. Mac wrote the contracts so that many of those players could be jettisoned after a season or two with little or no cap ramifications. Those signing gave the Jets some instant credibility and respect. They had become a laughingstock under Rex and Idzik.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Edited for stupidity