My biggest fear: Alex Smith becomes a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Alex IMO would do fine here too because the short passing game and his decision making is top notch. You just won't get a ton of vertical down the field type passing. But it's a bit of a shiny new toy syndrome here. We all want someone the Jets to build on their own, or someone relatively young. Not an old retread type.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Great idea, a failed shItty ass Buffalo QB, where have I read this book before....hmmm

3. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I would be okay with Smith next year. We have tons of cap space. We can add more talent around him. But hey, let's finish 2017 first. Beat Carolina.

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater or Kirk Cousins will QB the Jets in 2018, it is known.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  5. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

I think a second would be too high for Smith. But a third? (without a "big fat extension") Why not?

The OP says Smith would be a disaster, but says there is nothing wrong with bringing back a 39 year old Josh McCown. Really? Smith is an upgrade. There is cap money. A two year deal, with not a lot of guaranteed money on the second year makes sense.

Why couldn't Smith be the bridge QB to whatever young guy they end up with?

6. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

How many years do we need a bridge QB? That would be the 4th year in a row. That's not a bridge scenario, that's a team that has no plan. You sell the farm and grab Rosen or another rookie that you may like. I could care less what it costs at this point. Watching McCown with this team has been as uninteresting as watching Fitz. They can't take us to the playoffs so what's the point? Play the young guys and at least bring a touch of interest to the team.

ColoradoContrails and harts24 like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

why do you think teddy field goal is leaving Minnesota?

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Why would the Vikings let their franchise QB go?

Alex Smith is the only QB I'd like that's been mentioned and is semi-realistic. Only thing I don't like is he's a short term option as he'll be 34 start of next season.

Keep Petty and Hackenberg. Draft a QB round 1. Give Petty and/or Hack their one year to prove something. Enjoy having a franchise QB in 2019.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Teddy is as big of an unknown right now coming off a major surgery. It's not so out of the realm that the Vikes simply don't trust he can be himself. I think Teddy can be had among an new guy that maybe cheap and be a guy that can either be a steady starter or nice backup in Case Keenum.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

He's a FA in 2018. So depending on what Bradford's prognosis is an Keenum's level of success they likely won't pick up his 5th year optioin.

FJF likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins is third in the league in passing. He is the answer to our problems at QB. I would also try to keep McNown as a backup.

DarrelleRevis.Human? and harts24 like this.
  12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Was I asleep during Teddy Bridgewater's breakout season?

Bring me Kirk Cousins or bring me Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, Falk or Allen.

harts24, FJF and LAJet like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No to Smith and fuck no to McCown. You hit the nail on the head about not having superb coaching, not even close. That we should fix first

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’ll take Alex Smith to start for a year while Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield watch and learn would be A-OK with me.

Being an emotional hysteric and worrying the Jets would trade a 2nd for Alex Smith is an indictment of the worrier and doesn’t negate it would be a good set up to develop a high pick QB that we know will be put on the field when the team is ready.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

teams that never win do stupid things once they get a taste of success. We are seeing it now as they are rolling with Case Keenum. After they are eliminated from the playoffs with Keenum they will guess (incorrectly) that Keenum was a reason they made the playoffs and they just need another piece or 2 elsewhere to win. Jets offer that piece in terms of a draft pick or player for Bridgewater in a contract year? I could see the Vikings biting on that.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The Vikings never win?
    They have one of the better win percentages in league history..

They are very ready to compete, but the injury bug has bitten them pretty hard.
    Hard to say if Bradford or Bridgewater will ever be the same. I could see them drafting another QB, or going after a different vet like Smith.

As a Jet fan, I'm not interested in Bridgewater or Bradford.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

their SB trophy case has less bling than even ours and we suck.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Oh that's right, if you don't win the Super Bowl it must mean that you are absolutely clueless and uncompetitive.
    nothing in between.
    got it.. :rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I mean, there are many worse fears than Alex Smith signing with the Jets, but I don't want that either. Most responses have been correct. Draft a QB, sign Cousins, or something of that nature. Smith isn't terrible though. He would be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick and McCown. He wouldn't be worth it cost-wise though.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How would Smith be a cast off ?

If they want to resign him but he chooses to leave in free agency, surely this means he is not a cast off or a discard, Smith is the guy currently keeping out some people's idea of the messiah, I wouldn't say no tbh but I would prefer a shot at a young one instead.