My 2017 mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 17, 2017.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I would love nothing more than to have a offensive heavy draft. Being that our coach is defensive sided I think we will draft majority Defense.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Was Rome eventually built? I agree fans are irrational that is why they shorten it from fanatical. Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Revis, Marshall that was some big chunks of money cut out of the cap. They could have gotten some better players than Beachum and Claiborne. They gave Winters way too much. But hey I understand the scrubs pick up. The big picture is the tank this year. It's gonna be pretty ugly and I'm not expecting the fans to hold it together.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

as it stands now we have almost no money. we have 8 mil but close to that whole amount is our rookie allocation. cutting alot of those players basically just put us under the cap. we started over the cap before the season started and had to make a cut just to not be penalized for being over the cap before the season officially started. we got claiborne dirt cheap on a 1 year prove it deal. we got beechum cheap on a 3 year prove it deal with room to cut after 2 years. he got 45mil over 5 years last offseason from jax but they cut him because of injuries. we have him a 3 year 24mil contract. winters got paid the average for the market. it was actually a pretty decent deal in our favor. he could have gotten an extra mil a year for sure on the open market. we basically only had a little money so we took some chances on budget players with injury rick (but very talented) and retained a few of our own and now we are broke again

boozer32 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

updated C version now posted

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Every year I watch the football-fan world, like TheGangGreen.com, become obsessed with some college QB de jour. Usually a young QB no one has even seen play, but we've heard his name on various sports talk shows. We let ourselves think we really need this guy or that guy.

And every year I see these young future franchise QBs crash and burn, and I think "Thank god we didn't end up with THAT guy". Or "I can't believe we burnt another 2nd round pick on THAT pile of shit".

Here we go again!!!!

Some things never change.

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Version (B) is beyond scary

7. boozer32

Thus you have the problem with the Jets. Only team in the NFL that draft defense and can't stop anyone. People wonder why they lose 41-3 and the coach is thrilled to kick a field goal. Its time to address the offense with the same fury they draft defensive players.

tanknyc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

because you don't trust trub i assume?

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If we get the 1st pick in the 2nd round from the Brownies it will be prime trade bait for any team wanting a QB that falls out of the 1st. I would take the potential 4th round pick from the Brownies and draft Josh Dobbs assuming he falls that far.

Br4d likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

could be a good sleeper pick for sure.

11. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd sign up for Adams at #6, then trade the 2nd and one of the 3rd round picks to move up into the first and take Watson.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Mac is trying to trade down, every pick we have is precious. In no scenario does he trade up unless its to trade up into the late rounds (5th or later) giving up 2018 picks or something like that.

I don't understand this love for Watson other than trying to quantify intangibles, he's got "it", he's a "winner", plays "big" in big moments. When you break down his tape it's underwhelming and he has a noodle arm.

Here are the arm velocities in MPH of the top QB prospects in the this years draft:
    60 - Mahomes
    59 - Webb
    56 - Kizer
    55 - Trubisky, Evans
    53 - Peterman, Kaaya
    49 - Watson

By NFL standards a player should have at least a velocity of 55mph and he's 6mph under that...

13. GasedAndConfused

he reminds me a lot of vince young in that he shot up draft boards based on a bowl game and we all know how young turned out. I really don't want watson. i'd pick him last out of all our options.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I fully agree it would be a dream come true to have an offense that can score. Your also correct we should have an elite defense being we drafted like the last 8-10 picks on defense. I say just watch NFL network and the BPA on the board we take whether its a need or not just fill the team with talent, instead of trying to pick a needle in a hay stack.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. boozer32

Kudos for finding this out. I don't think I've ever seen a QB graph on velocity. Every other intangible has been analyzed to death. I'm curious what Joe Montana and Ken Stabler velocity were. Or even Joe Namath who threw beautiful passes.

16. boozer32

The more I think about it the more I can't see the Jets taking a QB in the first 3 rounds. That Hackenberg pick is really screwing up this team. If he could have made it onto the field for one series in one game then you would have something to gauge. But not seeing the field at all when our QB play was awful tells you he really sucks. Now you carry him for another year you have QB in this draft that might help. Next year you have at least 6 that could come in and play. Can't wait for draft day.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't see how the Jets DON'T take a QB this year. They interviewed all the top guys, and I don't think they would do that, even for a smokescreen, if they weren't strongly considering it. I think much will be determined during the draft, based on how it falls - does someone offer them a chance to trade down, and in doing so they miss out on the guy the guy they want? Or even staying at 6, the guy they want is picked ahead of them. But if any of that happens, I could see them taking someone like Peterman later.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

It doesn't tell you anything but the organization actually sticking to it's plan to redshirt him for the season.

19. boozer32

You had 4 QB and 3 of them got injured. They didn't draft him to redshirt him. Dallas didn't redshirt Prescott when Romo went out. Then you have Jets coaches saying he couldn't hit the ocean. That redshirt noise was a cover. The kid is a mental case and no amount of redshirting will help him. The defining point will be if the Jets take another QB this year. That will say that Hackenberg has no future with the Jets and they goofed up drafting him that high.

20. boozer32

I like Peterman 4 year player and pro-style experience. Plus he played at Pitt. That state has produced some of the best QB in history. Unitas, Namath, Marino, Jim Kelly, Monatna. We have to get lucky at some point.