Moving to PA... East Stroudsburg

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by ThunderbirdJet, Jan 2, 2013.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

pizza and hard rolls.

they jsut dont make either of them the same anywhere else in the world.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm about a half hour away from that area, but drive in East Stroudsburg/Stroudsburg all the time. Welcome to the area!

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Poconos has so many transplants from NY, it might as well be called the 6th borough, shit I still have to deal with the blackout rules for Knick games

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

OK, Flood's facebook page has a lot of comments telling people they MUST have a "super" there. People said they tried, but can't make a "super" at home. What the heck is it? Some sort of burger?

Is there a killer polish deli I should try? Thye store mgr at Home Depot told me they have boatloads of new Polish and Russian immigrants and are looking for bi-lingual people to work in the store because of them.

I went to the TOM X pub... the prices were dirt cheap, and the basic food we ordered for lunch was pretty decent. Some of the best sweet potato fries I ever had. The menu for dinner is not a typical pub menu... being it's so close to my sister's town house, I'm sure it will be a regular place we frequent.

Thanks for the replies and feedback. This is a HUGE move for me, and it's great to hear from you folks familiar with the area... I thank you.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but that hardly makes it right.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Many Florida Counties could/should be considered the "6th Borough"....Dade, Broward....

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh that is true, but the poconos on a really good day is only slightly more than an hour away

8. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

That’s the great thing about PA, it's cheap. Buddy of mine went to Lehigh University and never came back, got a job up in Bethlehem BUILT an insane house for around 200k and its easy a 2 million dollar house in NY.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

love the pocs myself - family spends a least 2 weekends a year at the woodloch resorts.

definitely a place i could see retiring to - at least part time.

10. ThunderbirdJet

That is the plan. I don't have the $ to be a snow bird, but I'll take PA over Florida straight up.

Sitting here while some monkeys are replacing my roof. Not the most relaxing way to spend a day off. Idiots crushed my shrubs already. Next is the siding, then the gutters, and then sell this junk joint.

Moving companies... are as far as I can tell, also a bunch of idiots. They make appointments for a quote, then call back and say they can't make it, if they call at all. Mayflower... "um, we're in Brooklyn. We can't go to Nassau for a move to PA. Try calling this number...." Then why did the site direct me to you? Dogs barking in the background along with screaming kids.

Then they whine about me requesting Feb 28. They want ME to be more flexable. WTF? It's a Thursday 6 weeks away for cryin out loud. If I were younger, and had more help... but I'm stuck.

Oh, and Home Depot roof installers... more genious at work. They sent 2 crews to the same house in Deer Park and none to me in Hicksville. They show up at 10:30. BRILLIANT!

Oh well. I'm goin to PA baby!

11. ThunderbirdJet

Well, the move is finished. Some unexpected repair issues with the house, but I freakin love it! On the down side, my best friend, my pup Badger, aged 15, had to go down today. House seems pretty empty, but she was done... I had no choice.

Otherwise.... went to Siamsa and purposely ate meat on Friday in lent... figured I suffered enough today. Corned beef and cabbage. Pretty good, but they should serve some soda bread with it. The other day my sis had the sheppard's pie... mostly mashed potato, little else. My B in law had the open faced corned beef, pretty good. I had the Guinness stew.... awesome dish.

So I hadn't been here for a couple weeks, LOL, I'm sure no one noticed.

Happy St Patty's day!

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

same distance as Rochester is away from buffalo. at least you don't get the lame bills and sabres rammed down your throats.

passed through the area many times on the way to nyc. if I had to work in the nyc area, that's the place I would live in. :beer: