Most likely the Jets will overpay. But for who?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Who/What will the Jets overpay for?

1. To trade up in draft.

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. To sign a free agent QB like Cousins

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. None. Either a cheap free agent QB or a rookie QB without trading up.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

So intentionally throwing at a players head is not an issue? Last post it was bullshit and never happened, even if you read it, you wouldn't believe it, and it would be a bullshit story, now that you have seen it, It's not an issue,it's a positive? Lmao

They shouldn't have been there? It's where stadium officials told TCU to enter the field. The girl who gets raped should have been at home, then she wouldn't have been there? Not equating his actions with rape, but making a point that your excuse for his actions has no validity

Why would I possibly say Tanny gave up on building through the draft when he was never rebuilding? He was king of the FA bandaids.

Teams add mid, low level FA frequently, big name FA, top quality cost a premium. Teams add one or two to complete a roster. Rarely does it translate to more wins. When you overpay free agents, you lose the ability to keep your own young players. It hurts the team loosing the FA much more than it benefits the team signing them. Why? Because the team losing them had that talent at a lower price.

As for the cap. You have to see it stated? We had $167 million in cap space this season. Players under contract this season ate the majority and left us with around $16 million.
    That's how the cap works. The future estimates don't account for players drafted, free agents signed, extensions, and your own FAs resigned. Just expired contracts.

FJF likes this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

Don't you read the board. Some posters say he sucks, is a bust, is overrated, a wasted #6 pick.....:rolleyes:

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Crazy to the umpteenth power is extending a retard who drafted hackenberg and petty. Crazy to the umpteenth power is keeping someone who doesn't know what clock management is. Crazy to the umpteenth power is valuing someone who can not throw vs someone who can throw.

Crazy to the umpteenth power is NOT trading a underachieving sack deprived 6th overall pick in a package for a franchise QB

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Crazy to the umpteenth power is taking your crazy to the umpteenth power posts seriously.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think that Cousins will sign here if the Jets are continuing with the rebuild? For that matter, if Cousins were to sign here and the Johnsons have to pay him all that money, do you seriously think they'd be content to continue with the rebuild? I don't, not for one NY second. As it is Woody could grow impatient and end it anyway.

The other thing is that I think you guys who are saying that Cousins would give the Jets 5-6 years are dreaming. Just because a handful of QBs have been able to play that long doesn't mean he will be able to or even want to. At or around 30, players start becoming more injury prone, it takes them longer to recover, and their skills can vanish overnight. He could last that long at close to his present level, or his skills could fall off a cliff overnight, or deteriorate over 2-3 years, or he could sustain a career-ending injury and the Jets would be screwed. What makes you think that Cousins will sign a deal that the Jets can get out of in 2 years?

The cap room doesn't have to be used this year, even so, with what they'd have to pay him, they could sign at least 3-4 other FAs, with at least a couple of them being tier 1 FAs.

playtowinthegame and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Read much? Nowhere did I say it was a positive. LMAO I said it was no big deal unless he was intentionally trying to hurt someone.

How do you know where stadium officials told them to enter? Even if they did say to enter there, they could have entered on the sideline and not gone through where Oklahoma was warming up. Your analogy of rape shows how ridiculous your point of view is, and you want to talk about my statement not having any validity? Right! You are clueless dude.

I know how the cap works quite well, thank you. I don't need an explanation from you.

#67 NCJetsfan, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

the time to compete is always now, you just have to make smartER decisions. This rebuild aka tanking ends now. If the Jets get Cousins, focus on the line, RB and EDGE positions and let's get our young defensive players some playoff experience.

HomeoftheJets, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

You said it's no big deal, in fact you said it's just his ultra competitive nature. Excusing his actions and trying to put a positive spin on his actions.

I Know that's where TCU was told to come out because Bowl officials stated such in post game interview after the throwing at an opponents head.

You Know how the cap works but stated we will have over $140 million to spend next off season and when I pointed out why we wouldn't, you stated you hadn't seen that posted.
    If you knew how the cap works why do you need to see it posted to understand the reality of what cap space will be available.
    I understand you don't watch football but read about it. You have stated as much countless times. You should do more reading.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  10. 6-10 once again

Mayfield beaning the TCU player in the head is a positive, imagine him throwing a ball at a dolphin or a pat before the game, every single one of us would be fired up and praise him

11. TonyFtLaud

No
    You would be searching Google for draft recaps and posting in outrage at all the players Mac could have drafted with the picks he gave up for the suspended QB.

FJF likes this.
  12. 6-10 once again

No
    Ray rice threw a ball at Sean Ellis in the warmup before the opener of the jets Ravens game in 2010 and he wasn't suspended, you don't get suspended for that you get fined

13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

If they don’t sign Cousins I’d expect them to be active elsewhere

CB: It’s a deep CB crop FA corners this year. Look for the Jets to sign (2) of Butler, Johnson, Claiborne, and Fuller

Center- Ryan Jensen/Weston Richburg

RB: I’d prefer to address this in the draft, but with Forte gone and Powell getting up there they definitely need to get younger at the position.Could definitely see them going after Jeremy Hill (age 25)

DL: Perhaps look at bringing Sheldon Richardson back?

ILB: DeMario Davis Re-Sign

TE: Trey Burton or Austin Sefarin Jenkins

QB: In this scenario I think McCown is the guy

Starting roster could look like this before the draft on paper

QB: McCown, Petty, Hackenberg
    RB: Hill, Powell, McGuire
    WR: Anderson, Kearse, Enunwa, Hansen, Stewart
    TE: Burton, Leggett
    LT: Beachum
    LG: Carpenter
    C- Jensen
    RG: Winters
    RT: Shell

DE: Williams
    DT: Pennell/McClendon (not sure if he’s a FA)
    DE: Richardson
    OLB: Martin
    ILB: Lee
    ILB: Davis
    OLB: Jenkins
    CB: Butler
    S: Adams
    S: Maye
    CB: Fuller
    CB3: Skrine

The defense would be an edge rusher away from being really good on paper. The first pick on offense would obviously be a QB of the future and the rest of the draft could we used to try to secure that edge rusher, weapons for the young QB, and OL.

14. TonyFtLaud

It's now 2018. The NFL is all about the image of the shield.

15. 101GangGreen101

Sarcasm?

Then Mayfield proceeds to throw 5 ints, Jets lose and we become a complete laughing stock.

Mayfields dumbass better not pull that shit at the next level.

16. 6-10 once again

Or he proceeds to throw 5 touchdowns and it shot rockets him to super stardom.

Is Brady dumb for screaming at his coordinator and at the refs? No he is a fiery competitor, the last thing I want to do to Mayfield is to neuter him, draft him as he is or don't draft him at all

17. 101GangGreen101

Brady doesn't throw freaking footballs at opponents prior to a game and he surely didn't bitch to refs when he wasn't an established player in the league.

Mayfield needs to humble himself.

FJF likes this.
  18. 6-10 once again

Of course not... Brady is too busy deflating balls prior to the game.

But seriously he is what he is, maybe at the NFL level he will learn to make beaning Julian Edelman in the nuts look like an accidental warmup overthrow.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Yes I do.

Supposedly, Woody doesn't call the shots anymore. I don't know how much of that I truly believe, but if Woody lands a franchise QB who has easily 5-6 years, perhaps more, left in him, why shouldn't the organization be patient?

We can rebuild around Cousins and also take a QB in Round 2 this year to sit behind him as an insurance policy for 2-3 years down the line. Front load the deal, make it so that you can escape after 3 years, and go from there. This team has a decent young defense and similar to Washington's mediocre at best offensive cast surrounding Cousins. You can take the remaining $60 million or whatever's left after absorbing Cousins' contact and bring in other Free Agents, re-sign some of our own and you wouldn't have to sacrifice a single draft pick to do so, unless he's tenured, but we'll see if that unfolds. That leaves the Jets with a lot of draft ammo to shore up problem areas like the Offensive Line and Secondary.

To me, it's a no brainer. We can afford it. He's a proven commodity, not a rookie gamble, and we won't have to worry about developing him because he's developed and we all know how great the Jets have been, as well as how great this fan base is in practicing patience, with young Quaterbacks.

Bring in Cousins, mask the deficiencies of the Head Coach, build around him, win football games.

FJF likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Well, if the Jets do sign him, I hope that you're right about all of those things, but I don't think you're right about any of them. Cousins has clearly stated that he wants to go to a winner. I'm sure that he will ask Mac point blank if the Jets will be continuing the rebuild, or going all in to make the playoffs. IMO if Mac says that the rebuild will continue, the only way that Cousins would sign here is if no other team made him a decent offer. I also don't think he would sign a contract with the Jets that included an out for the Jets after 2 or 3 years.

As far as Woody being patient, why should he be? It's already been a long time since the Jets were in the playoffs. There are no guarantees that Cousins will play at a high level in the Jets offense at all, much less for 5-6 years.

With regards to sacrificing any draft picks, that's not a given. The Jets could stay put at #6 and still get one of the top 3 QBs. That may not be likely, but it's possible.

IMO going the Cousins route is playing it safe, which will keep the team mired in mediocrity. Greatness is NEVER achieved by playing it safe. IMO that's the coward's way. I'd rather the Jets strive for greatness, swing and miss, than take the "safe" route. If the Jets sign Cousins, I don't see them taking a QB in the 2nd round, nor do I think they should. They'll need their 2nd round picks to get two of the following positions: a RB, an OL, or an edge rusher. If they want to use their 4th round pick on a QB, fine, but they'll probably need their 3rd round pick to either get a CB or the third of the previous 3 listed positions. Then again, if Mac drafts defense for Bowles or BPA, he could take another S, NT or DE.

I don't think that Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady could mask Todd Bowles' deficiencies, nor would he allow them to. He's too much of a passive coward who thinks he can win with D.

I can't believe that any Jets fan would just be satisfied with winning "some ball games." That makes me sad. IMO that's just accepting mediocrity, and I'll never do that. I'd rather they go 0-16 than settle for 8-8.

Thanks for the discussion, but don't think we'll ever agree on this issue.