Most likely the Jets will overpay. But for who?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Who/What will the Jets overpay for?

1. To trade up in draft.

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. To sign a free agent QB like Cousins

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. None. Either a cheap free agent QB or a rookie QB without trading up.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know any such thing. With 5-7 starting centers being FAs, the chances are that some of them will hit FA. Some teams have little cap space. I would also doubt that some of the players on that list are any worse than Johnson or Harrison.

I disagree regarding Cousins signing with Denver. They are the ones most likely to sign Mayfield. They don't have a lot of holes, but their window is closing. With Cousins and an elite pick at #5, they could be right back in the hunt. I don't see them trading down..

I've read several articles on Mayfield that focused on the incidents that happened, and not one has mentioned his hitting a player in the head with a football intentionally, either at OK or at Texas Tech. Sorry, but I'd have to see the article in question. If such an article exists, I think it's BS. Based on what I've read about him, that just doesn't fit in.

Just because the Jets sign some FAs, doesn't mean that they would be trying to "buy a title" or abandoning building the team primarily through the draft. That's just nonsense. A fair number of players entering the league are 23 and 24. The FAs I'm talking about are 25-27. That's not a big difference and those players could be with the team long term. They aren't older, more expensive players. They're young and cheaper. Yes, the Jets have a lot of holes, and with possibly $100 million in cap space this year and possibly as much as $140 million next year, they can fill a lot of holes, and would be stupid imo to not use FA to address needs/holes.

We will just have to totally disagree on this one.

Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'll do you one better than reading the article, watch the video. It's posted here on the board.
    Or you can check here
    https://nypost.com/2017/12/01/video-of-baker-mayfield-drilling-tcu-foe-in-the-head-is-back/

Giving up 5 premium picks as was suggested is just that, abandoning building through the draft.
    The Jets will have close to $100 million this off season, the $140 next is only if no new contracts are signed, so we don't get both. Free Agent signings this year ,resigning some of our own will bring next year's 140 to normal range.

FJF likes this.
  3. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as it is better to overpay and back up the talk with action than not overpay and vice versa.

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

That's why we should give up overrated roster players (Leonard Williams) instead of first round picks

5. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping for LUCK. :rolleyes:

6. TonyFtLaud

Williams is one of the building blocks of this team ,and he is far from overrated. I must have missed something, Im sure you weren't being serious.

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I think this is unfair. All due respect, you need to look at the circumstances as to why you are characterizing him as "overrated". Blowes chose to play Williams inside almost all season. As a direct result of that he had to weather constant double teams. So there's no wonder why he didn't gather any of those flashy stats that everyone likes to watch like sacks or tackles for loss. That kind of disappears when doing the job of that underappreciated NT.

If you want to blame someone, blame Blowes. This is the guy that decided he was best on the inside. Meanwhile, the Jets could not generate any pressure on the QB last season. In fact lack of pass rush was one of the big reasons why the defense disappointed so much last season.

Overall and because Williams did not play on the inside ALL the time, I do think he had a rather disappointing season, but not to the point of being considered overrated.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Cousins wouldn't be overpaying. I'd give whatever it takes to get a Top 10 signal caller.

We'll probably overpay for a corner.

FJF likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

List of FA (28 and under) who we could sign

Malcolm Butler CB Pats

Alex Okafor DE

Melvin Ingram DE Chargers

John Pierre Paul DE Giants

JC tretter GB Center

Marquis Lee WR Jaxonville

We have only 7 picks in the draft and I would prefer we shop Offense only...find MOST of what you are looking for in FA...these guys mentioned WONT come cheap but if you don't sign Cousins that frees up 34 million for better use

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Baker another Robbie Anderson??? Maybe maybe not...TBH it's a loaded with talent sh*t for brains league for MOST players sorry to say..kids TODAY are troubled and need HELP

Like I posted for Anderson the family NFL and Team MUST get a player counseling...believe me it helps

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Starter: Baker Mayfield
    Backup: Josh McCown (1 yr deal)
    Waterboy: Crappenberg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting the link. I understand how the video indeed looks damning, but imo there's no proof that Mayfield singled out a player who hadn't played in two weeks due to injury. TCU players shouldn't have been cutting through Oklahoma's warmups. IMO it served them right to get drilled in the head with a pass. I don't see Mayfield's hitting a TCU player in the head as necessarily a bad thing, unless it was with the intent to hurt a player, or unless he did single out the player who had been injured, and there's no proof for the latter. It does raise the question about poor judgement perhaps, but there's no other incident where he tried to hurt a player. IMO it's akin to grabbing his crotch, and trying to plant the Oklahoma flag at midfield on Ohio State's home turf. It just reflects his ultracompetitive nature and perhaps some immaturity and lack of better judgment. Those are things that can be learned and changed.

I will say that if he did single out that injured player and was trying to hurt him, then I don't want him on the Jets, but unless or until there is concrete proof that is the case, then it doesn't change anything for me.

Giving up 5 premium picks to get a QB is NOT abandoning building through the draft. That's simply ridiculous! It's using the draft. Teams trade up for players all the time. You sacrifice some picks to get the player you want, then in subsequent drafts, you trade down and recoup those picks. Tanny traded up all the time (yet rarely [only once I think] traded down, and I never saw you claiming that he abandoned building through the draft.

With regards to the cap, I had not seen that stated anywhere, but that's fine. Most teams use FA to address or fix needs, then use the draft to take the BPAs and improve their overall team talent. Adding players that young in FA is like drafting them. It's very different than signing older, "star-level" players who command ridiculous contracts. Adding some FAs this offseason is not going to prevent them from re-signing their own players, unless they do sign Cousins and some older, more expensive FAs to go all in on making the playoffs, and not only have I not advocated that anywhere, I have been steadfastly against signing Cousins and abandoning the rebuild. If they continue with primarily building through the draft, get their QB in the draft, and continue with the rebuild, they will be fine. Wilkerson's, Skrine's, Forté's and maybe Ijalana's contracts will be coming off the cap. Some of the Jets players shouldn't be re-signed, as they will have been replaced via the draft or FA with better players.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Cousins is not a top 10 signal caller imo, yet he will probably become the highest paid QB in the NFL, or at least one of the top 3 paid QBs, and he isn't at that elite level. Not only that, but if they sign Cousins, the rebuild is over. They'll be going all in to win. That means that rather than signing younger, cheaper FAs, they'll go for the top FAs, who will be a lot more expensive. Abandoning the rebuild and finishing the job to build a team that can achieve sustainable success, will ultimately cost the team a LOT more than just overpaying Cousins and other FAs.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

There's no reason why they can't sign Cousins and continue the "rebuild" path that they're on. An elite signal caller, which he is one whether you don't believe it or not, will change a lot of things around here. He'll be 30 when the season kicks off, meaning we have more than enough time with him, at least 5-6 years, so it wouldn't be like Brett Favre walking through the door. Also, as long as the deals, outside of Cousins, are front-loaded and they can get out of them in 2 years, what's the problem? We have the cap room and it must be used.

FJF likes this.
  15. 6-10 once again

I'm extremely serious, if we are going to make a trade up I would rather send over Williams then a first round pick or a couple of 2nds.

Someone who is the building block of the team wouldn't need an all pro edge rusher to "open things up for him". Better to trade him while he still has value

16. TonyFtLaud

17. TonyFtLaud

I wouldn't consider John Pierre Paul, his brother Jason maybe....(he's 29.)
    I'd add Ziggy Ansah to the list too ,but there's a problem with signing all of them. You can't sucessfully build through free agency.
    Top free agents fetch a premium price, which crowds out spending on other, less glamorous but sometimes equally important personnel. So teams gain a star, but lose too many workhorses. Free agents only work to bolster a roster. If your overpaying 5 ,6,7 players, the rest of your roster suffers. You can't extend your own players or resign your own FAs.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. 6-10 once again

It's a tough step to admit that we shouldn't have taken a below average pass rushing defensive end who disappears in games and needs elite edge rushers to "open things up for him". It's time to take advantage of gms who still believe he is an equivalent to a first round pick.

but noo we can't lose his precious pressures

19. TonyFtLaud

The counseling and help is available for the players, getting them to ask for it is the problem. Most troubled youth don't see themselves as the problem, it's everybody else's fault.
    Mayfield when asked about throwing at the opposing players head said he didn't think it was a big deal, the other OU players were laughing.
    Young kids just don't realize the consequences of their actions.
    I'm sure that there is not 1 poster on this board that wouldn't find something that they did when young and think, how stupid that was. What could have happened. Maybe that's the great thing about being young, the air of invincibility. Not knowing enough to worry about tomorrow. Maturity brings a whole new set of responsibility but it's necessary to survive and thrive.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Do people really think that we should trade Leonard Williams to move up? That's crazy to the umpteenth power.

Brook!, FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.