Most likely the Jets will overpay. But for who?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Who/What will the Jets overpay for?

1. To trade up in draft.

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. To sign a free agent QB like Cousins

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. None. Either a cheap free agent QB or a rookie QB without trading up.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Considering this is year 4 for Mac and Bowles duo it seems likely that they will have to resolve the franchise QB issue. What do you think they will do? Overpay but for who?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There are several good free agents available at QB. There are also guys like Nick Foles that we could trade for.

I would add two veteran QBs before the draft so we have the flexibility to focus on other positions in the draft. If the right guy falls late in the first round or to day two it would be icing on the cake.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I see a mediocre vet QB and a rookie. The roster has far too many holes to fix atm to be trading away picks. Things may change after FA depending on what Mac does with all this cap space.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mac has said he wants to build through the draft, hence why I don't see him trading away the future for any one including a QB.

He might overpay for a FA CB.

#5 Red Menace, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Kind of a negative slant to your Post Brook

It assumes overpaying is a BAD thing and in a perfect universe you pay exactly what the player Is really worth whether to draft or pay a FA

ALL teams today OVERPAY for quality players Plus if you want to draft someone good unless you sit at spots 1 or 2 you must TRADE SOMETHING to move up!....the problem in Jetland is that decisions like back to bac Safeties ..Revis and Fitz ...were BAD CHOICES TOO

FTRM ...you have to determine what quality IS..and whether worth it or not

So I voted overpay in Draft because going the FA QB route is disasterous...

Listen guys ...you can't do a Rebuilding Process without a FQB and that takes 10000% precedent
    And the future is not even there to trade away since we have NOTHING today that we could lose: e.g. Best receiver in Jail , ASJ recovering alcoholic meh, Defense in the Toilet with Toilet Bowles, holes at every position 2 aging rbs no OL etc etc

When you ain't got nothin ..ya got nothing to lose

#6 NYJetsO12, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

After his a little above mediocre season he will probably ask for 19 mil/per.....bye!

8. matt robinson 17

I'll take Alex Smith and Josh Allen

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it's for Andrew Luck.:)

FlaJet and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. matt robinson 17

I would love that, but if he came to this snake pit he would turn into Boomer Esiason

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets have a much better infrastructure in place than Indianapolis.

Take away Manning & Luck the Colts would've been Cleveland or Oakland or Detroit for the past 20 years one of the worst run organizations in sports.

The Jets have been able to put together top defensive teams, top rushing attacks they just haven't been able to solve the QB position long term. Andrew Luck would LOVE it here I think.

12. matt robinson 17

Luck would be great here

13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Most likely? ?? In any of the scenarios presented it's virtually guaranteed the Jets will overpay. The fact is Blowes won too many games (I damn near throw up I In my mouth every time I have to say, Blowes won too many games) and put Mac in a tough position in the most important draft for Mac personally.

However, I really don't understand why everyone is worried about it? Any time you gamble on a QB it's a huge risk. This is par for the course. Get used to it. Did the Jets gamble on Mark Sanchez? Not everybody can pick up a 3rd string QB in the 6th round and have it all work out to the tune of multiple SB's. In fact, wake me up when it happens again.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Jets should not be trading any picks away for any free agent QB as we have way too many holes to fill and we can theoretically get one in the draft.

I would think the most likely candidate to be overpaid would be to Cousins but I'm starting to think that Elway will overpay and sell the "I'm a former QB great so trust me" narrative. It will likely work because the Broncos will shed salary by cutting Aqib Talib and Cj Anderson. This is good in a way because it then allows the Jets to go QB at 6 if the Broncos don't trade away the pick (let's pray this doesn't happen). I could really see the Broncos going o-line to appease Cousins.

It's going to be a bidding war but Cousins has a file on all the teams in the NFL (I believe his former GM, McLoughlan said this) and he will be going through his options.

15. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I would give up our whole draft the same way Dinka did to get Andrew Luck if he is healthy, I don’t get how anybody would take the head coaching job at Indy if their was even a chance Luck is about to be let go.
    Whoever gets or has been guaranteed that job would have to be guaranteed 3 years to rebuild without Andrew Luck, a total rebuild.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Overpay" is relative. If you get the franchise QB this team has been seeking for decades, then it's hard to call that "overpaying" IMO.

But are you asking what WE would do, or what Macc will do? If Macc, I don't think he'll "overpay" for anyone. Having been burned with Revis and then Fitz, and to a lesser extent Wilkerson, Forte, and the other vets he's signed, I don't think he'll overpay for FAs. As for the draft, he's shown he's not a big gambler, with his one "big bet", Hack, blowing up in his face. I fully expect him to take the "safe" route and sit at #6, maybe even trading down, and going BPA - D again.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Indy won't give up Luck if he is healthy.

The only way we get Luck is if we gamble on him before then.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Indy is reportedly going to hire Josh McDaniels as their new HC. Why not follow up that dumb move with another by moving on from Luck? One can hope they're actually that stupid.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good point CC. My bad English. Overpay wasn't the right term maybe. But Mac/Bowles will have to do something significant to address the QB position. I don't think another year of McCown will happen. The fans will revolt. That's why I want to find out what board things Jets will do. Spend big for a QB or trade up by giving up whatever it takes to get their favorite QB.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Sign Kirk Cousins. He's gonna demand big $$$ to come here.