Mort on ESPN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 2, 2006.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If your arguing that only 10 MLB teams have major league talent and 20 teams have minor league talent how would spreading that talent over 30 teams create 30 teams with major league talent?

2. nightowltom

nightowltom New Member

Where did I say I didn't want a cap? I want a cap, but a reasonable one for all. I don't blame the owners who've built their franchises for not wanting to fund everything while the stupid, cheap or lazy owners ride along. As it is, they split $100 mil a year already which makes running an NFL franchise almost idiot proof. There has to be some type of middle ground found where the high revenue owners chip in more but not ALL of their revenues like the low revenue franchises and the union would like.

I remember other owners laughing at Jerry Jones when he made Pepsi the "official drink of the Dallas Cowboys". When the Patriots started their own website (before the NFL) everyone thought it was overkill. Innovations like these are what built the value of these franchises and the marketing efforts of individual teams thinking outside the box has added value to the NFL name.

Look--there are no saints here. The players started all of this because they want more money. The low revenue owners thought that would be okay as long as it was other owner's money that was going to pay their players and not their own. And the high revenue owners are miffed because everyone's tossed the bill in their lap.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'll need to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I heard the lower market teams are pissed because they are paying 70% of their revenues to the players while the larger market teams are paying less..It's all very confusing

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Great post. Imagine even in an idiot proof environment that rewards doing nothing some owners still want to do better. What is the world coming to?

5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Mort = Barney Rubble

6. nightowltom

nightowltom New Member

What's your point? That Kraft is an idiot because he built a stadium by borrowing $325 mil himself and never hit up Patriots fans with PSL's or saddled the taxpayers with a huge debt?

What's the better situation: Cleveland--where they struggle to pay for the stadium while they lay off teachers and close fire stations? New Orleans--where before Katrina $12 mil had to be taken out of an economic development fund to make up revenue to the Saints? Or Cincinnati--where Mike Brown gets all of the income from his free stadium and practice field and does not even have to pay for security or maintenance which all comes from taxpayer money? No wonder Jerry Jones calls some of these guys welfare cases.

Give me the New England situation any day.

#46 nightowltom, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Just responding to your post about it being unfair that the Pats have to pay $30 million a year. That was his choice to build that stadium. He is making plenty of money off that stadium to, so no I don't feel sorry for him

8. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I agree that all the cuts isn't going to be good for the league in general, at least in the short term. I also agree and think there should be a way to relax the cap on players you draft or at least your own players in general. Doesn't the NBA have something like this where a team has an exception under the cap to re-sign their own players?