Morris Claiborne signs with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 16, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I really like Forrest Lamp as well, but he's going to be a guard I think and we have 2 guards already locked up. Budda Baker is a favorite of mine as well, but he is a little undersized in comparison to Hooker [Hooker has 3 inches on him and is faster]. TJ Watt what's his stock really like? Is he a first rounder or a 2nd? You might be able to get a Ryan Anderson in the early 3rd. But the elite talent level is there.

2. 101GangGreen101

Absolutely Foster or Howard would be a great selection and to be honest you can't go wrong with either. Fans I think will be much happier with Howard over anyone else because they are selecting offense, but I personally would be happy with any of the choices as long as it's not Lattimore. The key really is the 49ers, Bears and Titans. Will the 49ers or Bears take a QB? Maybe they both will? Personally, I do expect 1 of the 2 safeties to be taken before the Jets are OTC. I really hope the Jags just go and select Fournette to push the talent down.

LAJet likes this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Ultimately that's the difference. With a roster that desperately needs young talent and depth, I'd rather pick up one more mid- or high- second round player that can contribute than ensure my pick for FS is three inches taller and a couple of tenths faster. It's a game of inches, sure, but this roster is not one player away, it's 35-ish players away. To me the vast talent that's available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year very much outweighs the value of the handful of guys at the top. Now, if I'm scouting for the Seahawks, Broncos, or Pats, that evaluation probably changes, but for these Jets, the value is there for trading down.

4. 101GangGreen101

I'm with you, but I don't see how a player like Hooker won't contribute right away when he absolutely will and might have more of an impact then Baker in terms of erasing the big plays down the field. People want to talk about his injury, but it's been confirmed he will be ready for rookie camp. The reconstruction of the roster doesn't happen in one draft, you get the best players that will help the team. If I can get a potential all pro safety, I think I would rather take that over trading down for a lesser talented player.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Absolutely

6. TwoHeadedMonster

Who says Hooker wouldn't contribute right away? Who is talking about his injury? I think he would be a heck of an addition.

I just think that with the depth of this draft, if the Jets have any opportunities to trade down in the 1st and accumulate more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, they need to lean heavily toward trading down. There's a ton of talent in the top 100 this year, and this team is in dire need of young talent. The Jets are way overdue to hit on some 2nd round picks, this would be a great year to hit on 3 or 4 of them.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Lamp Watt Hooker and Baker. Compared to those guys Anderson sounds like a safe pick.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with the bolded sentence. IMO the draft has sure-fire stars at the RB position (Fournette), TE position (Howard), FS position (Hooker), SS/FS position (Adams), and ILB position (Foster). The Jets have needs at every one of those positions. Not far behind that is the WR position where Mike Williams or Corey Davis would look awfully good in green and white. They may not be on the same level as the others, but they aren't far behind.

9. NCJetsfan

Many times I'd agree with you, but not in this draft. Being a young team without an identity, they need playmakers/stars/leaders/players who can forge the team's identity more than they do one additional player.

Adams will probably already be gone, but he was would be an absolute homerun. He would be the leader of the D and have the other players playing at a higher level. I think Howard could be a star and leader on offense. Hooker and Foster would be stars and probably perennial Pro Bowlers if not All Pros, and a dynamic presence in the Jets' D, but I'm not sure about their leadership qualities. Much as Revis solidified half the field when he was in his prime, Hooker would solidify the back half of the field. He would stop those long TD passes. Foster would be a force in the middle stuffing the run, covering TEs and RBs over the middle, and rushing the QB.

10. NCJetsfan

3 or 4 second round picks? LOL You're dreaming, my friend.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

Obviously. I'm just saying it would be great. It would take trading down more than once in the first, and is obviously unlikely.

In my opinion, Adams is the perfect fit for the Jets, and Hooker would also be a great choice. The other guys you mentioned, in my opinion--everyone is entitled to disagree-- aren't worth staying put if there's an offer on the table that keeps the Jets in the top half of the first round and adds a pick in the top half of the second. I see more talent in the second round of this draft than I've seen in years--once again, my opinion. Of course, we're talking about the Jets here, and they'd probably manage to pick duds in the second, even if they had 32 second round picks.