More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

this all makes perfect sense, and I would agree.... BUT... Bill O'Brien is the Texans HC, not GM. While he may have some input, ultimately the GM calls the shots, and may not have been willing to risk his job / reputation on O'Brien's recommendation...as glowing as it MAY have been.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Especially since they want to give up on him in favor of some other proven failure of a QB who has never done anything noteworthy in their career and is somehow expected to do more with the Jets even though the Jets are likely worse than their last situation.

ADD never sleeps, and never surrenders.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Red Menace and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think people just ignore the fact that the GM builds the team, not the coach haha

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't like the Hackenburg pick and I like it even less now, but everything you posted just sounds wrong to me.

Do you think O'Brien is considering a mutual split with the Texans because they gave him control of the groceries? I beg to differ.

The Broncos had an offer on the table for Osweiler for 16mil per year. The Texans outbid them to the tune of 18mil per year.

That's not letting a guy walk. That's deciding that a QB without a full season of starts isn't worth more than the highest bid. Shit, if you give 16mil to Brock for his limited resume, you are overpaying. They didn't let him walk.

And do you really think that was O'Brien talking? The Texans had just watched their former head coach Kubiak win a Super Bowl and jumped in to outbid his team for a young QB after his HOF starter retired. That sounds like a bitter organization. And it goes to show that there was no forethought in their actions.

So, while I had initially assumed that O'Brien didn't have interest in Hack, the actions of the Texans last off-season tell me that he really had no choice in the matter.

And that makes the rest of your post completely irrelevant.

#84 abyzmul, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It's also possible Houston was interested in Hack, just not in round 2....especially after dropping all that coin on Brock.

If he was sitting there in round 3 or 4, maybe Obrien would be able to sell the GM on developing him.

kevda5n9ne and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

What he said is stuff we already knew though. Does Hack have work to do on his mechanics yes, do his mechanics become inconsistent and his accuracy suffer, absolutely, but thats why he was red shirted. He will likely get more reps this upcoming season, his mechanics will get ironed out, and we will see what he has.

The only way this changes is if the Jets go out and sign a free agent QB, or take another QB in the draft high. If they draft a QB high it means they aren't high on hack, if they sign Tyrod Taylor for example to a 4 year deal then it means they don't believe in hack.

But, if they get a stopgap 1-2 year QB, or draft a QB in the 4th round or later it means they want to give Hack more time, or more competition. We have to also remember that Petty is still on the team and both Hack and Petty will be fighting for starter or backup on the depth chart.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i was pretty fucking awesome at 21.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

There's always one.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The Jets QB situation is grim...

Mac knows it everyone knows it. He needs to make a big move for "his" guy and hopefully it's the right move. So far his guy has been Fitz and we know how that turned out!

There are only 3 options realistically:

1 The FA route. I think if he tries to get Cousins or Tyrod we will have to over pay... Glennon would come with no guarantees but could possibly work.

2 The trade route. Romo, Cutler or AJ ? Depends what the compensation is. AJ intrigues me because the kid can be great in the right offence. Romo won't last 5/6 games and cutler isn't worth it.

3 Draft route. Mac has taken a QB every year but not one has stuck... If he is going to make a splash and likes a QB he needs to go up and get him.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

And there is no point in putting him on the field with swiss chees protection. we saw what that did to him at PSU.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cimini's comments make sense but I am not all that discouraged with Hackenberg...........yet.

It's like bowling or golf. It's not just having the right mechanics it is learning to stick to those mechanics over and over. A kid like Hackenberg who's mechanics were completely jacked up, he needed to both fix them first but also do them consistently. I have no doubt he was sailing passes like a MOFO during practice. They fill his head with one thing, he tries to do it right, then he gets other advice, forgets about the first, etc. etc., the staff doesn't have time midseason, they get frustrated, he gets frustrated, it was probably a mess. ugly.

He has to make strides this offseason though. That dude needs to throw a zillion passes this offseason. If he works his ass off he could come back improved with better, consistent mechanics, then he can just settle down and learn how to be a pro quarterback.

It's too early for us to make broad assumptions like he'll never amount to anything though. You had to know his rookie year would be a mess like this. Whether you hate that he was a 2nd round pick or not, is irrelevant now. He's in the building now, its time to work with him. If Hack is still a mess this training camp/preseason, then its fair to question him long term, IMO. This is a big offseason.

12. xxedge72x

If the Jets are having buyer's remorse internally then draft has to be on the table.

As hard as it is to draft the right QB, the draft is also the most effective way to get a QB who can elevate your team into the long term competitive ranks. Free agent QBs are always overpaid because of their position and are almost never worth their coin. The only way to truly make the FA QB work is to have a dominant defense and OLine, and the Jets have neither.

So, admitting they made a mistake on Hackenberg by drafting another QB would look bad for Mac, but the alternative means he ends up getting fired anyway.

Rockinz and FJF like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

another thing to consider as well...... last offseason when they were engaged in that horrible contract "negotiation" with Fitzpatrick all of these same media pundits were saying the same thing about Bryce Petty. "[league sources] believe Petty has no future", "I'm told the Jets have been very disappointed with Petty in practice" yada yada yada.

Of course Petty didn't light it up this year or anything but he also didn't look like he didn't belong in the league. I guess my point is that maybe in today's day and age these media guys are just exaggerating too much to stand out. Hackenberg looks like any raw rookie would and has in practice but they call him a mess and stuff today just to exaggerate.

xxedge72x and hwismer like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Petty looked like exactly what you'd expect given his draft position: a guy who can hold the clipboard and take some snaps in an emergency and maybe even turn into a decent QB at some point if he gets lucky and everything falls just right.

He was hesitant, he heard footsteps, he made the wrong read on a bunch of plays and he generally looked bad unless he was heaving one up for Robbie Anderson (and Anderson wasn't dropping it) or checking down to Bilal Powell or Matt Forte.

If the Jets want Petty to play QB for them they need to put a lot of work in front of him, and a lot of reps in the OTA's and the pre-season. It probably won't work out anyway but the "Petty has to force his way onto the field" path clearly isn't there because he's been a quiet prospect so far who does not show enough in practice to give the CS confidence in him. That's not what was happening with Brady in 2000 and early 2001.

I'd go into next season with Petty, Hackenberg and a cheap vet as the options. Maybe throw in a draftee at some point. See if the first two or the draft pick can separate themselves from the rest before the season starts.

If not then go with whoever you want to develop the most next season and figure the fall-through is a top 2 pick in 2018 when QB's/LT's may be in better supply at the top of the draft.

SonofDinger likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't agree with that, if they signed Taylor up for 4 years it would leave Hack in the background until he is 25yo, not ideal granted but that is the same age as Petty right now.

I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Taylor with Petty back up and Hack learning hard as the 3rd option.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's clear that the Jets don't currently have the Franchise QB they need yet. Could Petty or Hack be that FQB? Maybe, but not likely.

It's also unlikely, IMO, that any of the FAs, or those available in trades are FQB. Certainly there's no guarantee that they are, but the Jets WILL have to overpay to get one.

It's also not certain that they'll wind up with a top 3 pick in 2018, and even possible that they'll have a worse than #6 pick, so banking on that FQB in 2018 is risky.

So that brings us to looking to doing what it takes to get Watson this year, IMO. I would still work with Petty and Hack, but if Watson shows that he's FQB material, I would make him the starter and let Petty back him up, and allow Hack continue to mature.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

The gm also signed Brock for 37 million gtd. Doubt he would spend 2nd round pick on project qb.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

As he got older he realized, wow I was not all that at 21...;)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think it is far too early to give up on Hackenberg. He just needs something to click in his mind. He has all of the tools. He just turned 22. Don't you think it is possible by the age of 25 he could be a strong NFL QB? I do. Hopefully the Jets do him right.

Dom, xxedge72x, NOVAJET and 1 other person like this.
  20. xxedge72x

The real issue here is the team providing him with appropriate opportunities to succeed while balancing against not putting all their eggs in that very volatile basket. Nothing you said is wrong, but the team still put themselves in a position where they need to walk a tight rope because of his selection in the 2nd round.

Only way out now is to draft another guy and blow up any legitimate chance he has at the job, effectively admitting the mistake in the process. Otherwise, they will continue walking that tight rope.