More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Only the Jets take projects in the 2nd round. They're the only team in the NFL that can afford to get absolutely nothing out of their 2nd round pick for several years before they cut them. Well...

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Did you actually read this somewhere or just decide it on your own?

I don't remember reading anything saying he is supposed to sit a minimum of 2 years.

3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

They said it at the time of the draft. But it goes to common sense also? Hack is definitely a project as after his freshmen year he was never the same. His mechanics, stance, pocket awareness, attitude, EVERYTHING needs work. He also never saw a single snap his rookie year.

So once again thinking Hack will take over, PERMANENTLY, after say week 8 or so? that's a pipe dream. He'll see action for sure, but I doubt it's anything more than garbage time? Relief appearances, etc.???

4. The Waterboy

I read a lot and I never read anything about a 2 year minimum, just the one year so they could work on his mechanics in the off season. As far as you saying it is common sense, there wouldn't be talk now about him possibly playing this year if it was common sense. It might be a 2 year sit but saying he was supposed to sit for 2 is just something pulled out of the air.
    Find me more than 1 out of the mainstream article saying it was 2 years all along and I would give it some consideration, until that time I'll read what the coaches have to say.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Sounds like the type of comment Kiper would make.

I would have to say that if the Jets are going into the season with 3 QB's Hack will be in there much more than one would think based on the fact that they need to know if he's their future. Important to note that the OL needs to be relied upon to prevent sh%t that occurred with what happened to Petty last season. 2017 is a wash anyway.

6. The Waterboy

Agree with 2017 being pretty much a wash but my only hope is they actually use it to access a lot of the young guys. I won't care, if they finally build the team correctly, through the draft.

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I hope Hackenberg becomes a great Jet QB, but I don't have much confidence.

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that was woody's , err, texans owner's idea.
    like when we brought in favre, even though mangenius wanted no part of him.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i would think that a guy has to show something in spring to get time in preseason camp and games.
    if he shows there, then he might get time in a game that counts.
    that is how wilson and prescott got into the lineup in seattle and dallas.

10. The Waterboy

Agreed, he will have to show some improvement to get some playing time. I just never saw anything where they intended to shelve Hack for 2 years so when it was posted as if that was the intention all along I asked the poster if he read it somewhere or if it was just his own thinking.

11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The only time I heard a comment about shelving hack for 2 years was from Mike Mayock right before the draft said a fovorable situation for hack would be to go to a team that can let him sit and learn for 1-2 years.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If they really planned on sitting Hack for two years then why in god's name did they take him with their second pick? I mean if they really thought he was that much of a project and some other team wanted him worse than the Jets, what would be the big loss? This pick still makes me question Macc's drafting ability.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

LOL. Aren't you the guy that wants to take Deshaun Watson at 6 because of his "intangibles"????

101GangGreen101 and BomberJet like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah...uh the ONLY thing Hack MIGHT possess are "intangibles" - he apparently can't throw straight and his mechanics are all screwed up, and he's shell-shocked, but aside from those minor issues, he's good to go!

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You tryna avoid what I said?

I don't like Hackenberg. Never did. But you just tried to make a case that he wasn't worth a.2nd round pick.

Let's revisit a recent post from you, because you do apparently think your "analysis" is worth heeding...

Just sayin

#275 abyzmul, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Intangibles is the new buzz word these days for finding reasons to draft a QB in he 1st round. Doesn't matter that he threw 30 INTs in the last 2 seasons. Intangibles writes that off.:rolleyes:

17. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I was going to make this a shitthread, but I'll make a shitpost instead.

Let's say we select Trubisky or another QB prospect at 6, or we traded up or down for him. I don't care how it pans out, but we end up with one of the top QB prospects. He steps in to become our starter and has a typical rookie year on a team who has a decent defense. We go anywhere from 5-11 to 7-9. The team spends 3 years grooming Hackenberg, and he develops into a capable back-up and spot starter. 5 years down the line, we have a chip to trade for a 2nd or 1st round pick. That pick is the next Lawrence Taylor and he proceeds to break the legs of every New England starting QB with unabated, but clean sacks. Bob Kraft can't take not winning the division every year, and he sells the team to Nestle. Coincidentally, and unrelated to this thread, the Rock becomes president.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

^could happen. i mean except for rock being president, thats just fantasy

ChrebetCrunch likes this.
  19. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Can you smell what ChrebetCrunch is cooking?!

#279 playtowinthegame, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    ChrebetCrunch likes this.
  20. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Lol yeah intagabiles are used when theres no other good qaulites about them. in Watson Case he is all intangibles lol. He's got a noodle arm, reads half the field, footwork is meh, Stares down receivers and alot of head scratching decisions with a really high int percentage But as long as he is a winner with Many intangibles he'll be great

Martin&theJETS likes this.