More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Why does Cutler equate to giving up on Hack? Once upon a time, QBs sat and developed for years. Cutler would be at most a 2 year stop gap. I'm 100% in favor of legitimate competition. If Hack isn't ready to beat out Cutler in 2017, he needs more time to develop. That does not mean that he won't develop further. Rodgers sat for 3 years. Pennington sat for 2 years. Brady sat for year and lucked into a Bledsoe injury. A rookie QB not starting in year 2, especially if the roster doesn't put him in a position to succeed, is not indicative of giving up on said QB.

K'OB and Mogriffjr like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Yeah, I suppose it's not completely giving up on him. It's just rare in their current NFL that a prospect the FO believes could be the FQB sits for 3 years without a start. At that point once he starts he will have a limited window to prove he is legit before his rookie contract needs to be negotiated turning into a Kirk Cousins ordeal.

3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Actually, there are three reasons that I can see....... Now, you may want to question that or delegitimize the sources or whatever, but here they are:

1) Hack basically had ONE good year in college. After his freshmen year if you watched long enough, you would see so many head scratching throws, you always thought to yourself, "this kid is going to need a LOT of work".

2) Now, one year after being in the league? The CS trusted him and his development SO much that he never took a single regular season snap? Not one. I've heard of plenty of QB's taken in the later rounds that never take a snap in their rookie years, but a 2nd rounder? I would love to know just how many 2nd rounders never took a snap in their rookie season? There cannot possibly be many. Meanwhile, he took ZERO snaps for a team that had about the very worst talent at QB in the league? A team that out of playoff contention altogether by week 10.

3) And last, but certainly the most important reason..... The ODDS...... Every QB chosen is always a crap shoot. The odds of a QB being successful in the mold of a Brady or Manning, or Montana are so astronomically LOW. It's not a ridiculous thing to have skepticism attached to just about EVERY QB taken in the draft with the exception of very few. Now, throw in that what MANY different sources (legitimate sources and probably some that coached him) are saying about him and I do NOT think it's a stretch to think we are looking at the New York Jets next BUST.

I certainly hope that isn't the case. I am also happy to say the CS will give him more time. But, the tendencies coupled with the other reasons I gave, would make anyone think this is a bad selection in a long list of bad selections made by MANY GM's over the history of the game...........

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Chad Pennington was a 1st Round pick. Sat behind Vinny in 2000, 2001, and the beginning of 2002. Came out on the field like lightning out of a bottle. That was the past I guess. No patience anymore. Now if the Jets sign Cutler they have given up on a 2nd Round pick after one year? Disagreed.

LAJet, K'OB, nicg4360 and 4 others like this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What is all they hype about this guy, my thoughts are he may not survive camp if all the leaked rumors are correct about him.

Attackett likes this.
  6. NOVAJET

So far the only leaked rumor is 1 Mehta article involving an anonymous source. That's all. As far as I'm concerned a Mehta leaked rumor=baseless speculation. Don't get me wrong, maybe he sucks. I just have a little more faith in him I suppose.

ajax, Jake, Walt White and 1 other person like this.
  7. NOVAJET

This is a long video and it's a year old but I watched it after we drafted him and actually really like the film room videos. The guy does a good job with all the prospects and sheds light on a lot of things the #s miss.
    That said his prediction at the end was off the mark but that doesn't mean much. The concensus was that he could have slipped to the 3rd or 4th.
    His Fournette video is pretty good too and Legler82 posted his Dalvin Cook video in the Cook vs Fournette thread.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay. Watched the video, thanks for posting it. My first question is: How much did Hackenberg pay him to be his agent? I appreciate him pointing out where Hack did good things, despite the looks on the surface. but still...

What I saw, was yes a good arm, but from the looks of things he wasn't very accurate, even when he had time. And yes, poor footwork when not under center. Now the analyst said that this issue was "waaay easier" to fix than the mental aspect of the game, which is likely true, BUT then why hasn't Hack fixed this yet? I mean if Hackenberg was SO polished as an NFL-ready QB, why did he have to be red-shirted, and not even play one snap in a regular game? If you listen to the analyst, Hackenberg not only should've been taken in the first round, he should've likely started, as advanced as he thought he was. Instead, his own original college coach, O'Brien, had a chance to take him and passed. The analyst mentions that most evaluators pegged Hack as a 3rd or later pick, and that now seems more accurate than this guys assessment.

I think there's good cause for worry about Hackenberg ever becoming an NFL QB until we see some evidence that he's fixed the issues he had in college. I feel badly for him after watching the atrocious play of his OL and poor coaching, but my sympathy does not extend to making excuses for him. And it REALLY makes me question Macc's ability to assess talent given he used a 2nd round pick on him, because 2nd rounders should be able to contribute their first season at some point, and we're hearing that he may not be ready even in his second season! It looks to me that Macc and Bowles have screwed this whole thing up, and that is cause for alarm.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

SMH

How can ANYONE voice ANY opinion about C Hackenberg?? Who is he??????

An enigma inside an enigma The best kept secret on the Jets

I may be getting old but I can hardly remember SEEING him play lol

The Texans got B Ostweiler for millions after a sample size of 7 games at Denver (pretty stupid)
    With CH we have less than that but at least Mac did not pay him big $....the cost was a second round selection (pretty stupid)

Now that the kid is here Toilet Bowles doesn't even let him play the last couple of games of 2016 for more experience (also pretty stupid)

I hope the dumb decisions end with the mollycoddling and they let PettyHack split the games of 2017 and we finally see what we got

jmho

nicg4360 likes this.
  10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You're right. We don't know anything about Hackenberg yet. We don't know what improvements he's made. We don't know how the team views him in the context of their plans. For all we know, we're currently connected to every FA QB under the sun because the Jets are trolling the league. Who knows?

I wonder how much truth there was to the rumor that the Jets knew Gailey would retire after the season and for that reason didn't have him work with Hackenberg at all.

If true, it does explain why he wasn't allowed anywhere near the field, but simultaneously it is a baffling maneuver and makes me question their judgement. Assuming it's even true, I would have understood it more had they retained the QB coach. The fact that they didn't is a red flag.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Always remember that our MORONIC GM picked hack over Dak :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cant believe the Pats took Jacoby Brissett over Dak. Fire BB.

13. BroadwayAaron

Letting Hack on the field last year would have been dumb. He's clearly got many mechanical issues to fix. I don't know that tossing him on the field with a patchwork OL and a fledgling offense would have done any good. Probably would have done more harm than anything. Have we not learned from our last few high QB draftees that putting them on the field when they aren't ready is a recipe for disaster?

Other than Derek Carr I can't really think if a QB that's thrived when deemed clearly not ready.

Edit: I should add that since this site loves to fall back on the term "homer" quite a bit, I think the Hack pick was awful.

14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Just shows how much everyone thinks they know about a qb and how much scouts feel they know how to scout a qb...It's the biggest crap shoot. Brady picked in the 6th Dak picked in the 4th Wilson picked in the 3rd yet these are now premiere QB's in the league. Aaron Rodgers even slipping to the second half of the first. Wonder why everyone thought these guys sucked? We have no idea what's gonna happen with Hack until he gets on the field.

15. NOVAJET

One thing that's great but sucks for fans and media is the total lack of transparency with this regime. Noone knows dick about what they think about anything. Maddeningly pleasant.

FJF and nicg4360 like this.
  16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

At least the Pats have a pretty good QB to rely on eh? Now Belly has 5 SB & during his tenure the NYJs have NONE. What MCC did by blowing the Dak pick is set our organization back some years IMHO. What a idiot MCC turned out to be :mad:

17. NOVAJET

Dak would be a shadow of what he is on Dallas with this team. He would have been unrecognizable as a Jet last year and would have sat behind Fitz regardless. If he did start people would be calling him a bust by week 3. NYJ

18. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

What's interesting to think had say Wentz or Goff been drafted by the Jets would they have redshirted them to and I wonder if even those 2 would have played the last game in Buffalo.

19. BroadwayAaron

You are one of the most fascinating people on the internet. Not even this site. The entire internet.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Players drafted in the 2nd Round should have an immediate impact...end of story

No they couldn't play A Rogers right away because he was drafted behind a HOF playing QB..but this situation here demanded IMMEDIATE answers at QB and Mac picked a dud imo

Whats this with the "redshirting " of players on an NFL team? Are we Mich State all of a sudden??

I never liked the Bowles hire but speaking of homers I was a big one for MM...not now

He is trying to make smarter decisions and Mac will definitely improve his C minus grade I gave him