Mocking the Jets' 2017 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Too early to mock the Jets draft, it hasn't happened yet.

Now is the time to mock the Jets. Time enough to mock the draft in June

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think the Jets need a repeat of 1965. Draft 4 QBs in a single draft, and let them fight it out.

Rd Pk Pos Name School

3. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

I am also on board.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

that's sexy

5. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

He hasn't declared yet, but I think he will after the bowl game.

cgrec likes this.
  6. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Let's draft a skill player for once. Sick of drafting these defensive "studs" and there's no amazing OL in the 1st round that we couldn't get someone in the 2nd and 3rd.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

10. Beki

Beki Active Member

And do u think Fournette is worth of the 6th pick on this draft? Is he a can't-miss pick Zeke was in last year?
    Let me help you: no, Fournette can be easily a big bust and till we dont even have a game manager type QB and good OL, it is nin-acceptable to draft a RB with 6th pick, plus we have Powell.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  11. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think he's a can't miss.

Jetphan73, westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I've only seen Fournette play 5-6 times, but I don't see how anyone could say that Fournette could be a bust, much less "easily be a bust." That's just nuts.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. Matty Jets

Like Gurley? How are the Rams doing?

14. NCJetsfan

Gurley was great last year coming off a major injury. The Rams/Gurley situation have no bearing on Fournette. The whole Rams team, and based on what I've read, especially their OL was crap this season. Gurley is a great RB and Fournette will be as well.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. Matty Jets

It's all about cost. I'm not investing a top 5 pick in Fournette who's not even the best playmaker in the draft. If I wanted a two-down back I'd get one much later or via free agency.

Pats get a guy like Blount for free and we burn a top 5 pick.

16. NCJetsfan

I'm not saying that we should draft Fournette at #5. I was just pointing out that Fournette is a great back. I'm hoping we can either get a stud pass rusher or trade back and get Ramczyk.

I can't believe that you'd even compare Blount to Fournette, even in jest.

How do you see Fournette as only a 2-down back? Who do you see as the best playmaker in the draft? Cook?

17. Matty Jets

I mentioned Blount because he's exactly what you need in a running back. Cheap but effective. Mix in with a passing back. Or draft a player with elite agility like David Johnson and Le'Veon Bell.

Fournette had around 40 receptions in three seasons. If he was such a huge playmaker where's the receiving production? I understand it's also about coaching and quarterback play, but it's a fair question at this point.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I guess it depends upon one's definition of "playmaker." IMO Fournette has shown the ability to catch the ball, he doesn't have to be a Matt Forte-type receiving RB to be a playmaker. I don't know how good his hands are supposed to be or not be. I'm not saying it's not a fair question. I just know that he runs with power and speed and can score from about anywhere on the field, if not anywhere. Having a workhouse RB like Fournette would take a huge load off of a young QB. Fournette has the ability to break tackles and make his own holes. If we could find a RB like Johnson or Bell, I'd be delighted.

The problem with going with RB by committee is that one's offense becomes to predictable. If your Blount power back is in, the opposing D knows that it's almost certainly going to be a run or a pass to a WR, not to Blount. If your RB with elite agility is in the chances may be greater that it won't be a run up the middle, but will be a pass or a run to the outside. It makes the Jets' D easier to defend.

As I said, I hope we can get that stud pass rusher or trade down, but if no trade downs are available and the Jets don't have an available pass rusher rated that highly, and the LSU S isn't there, and Fournette is the BPA on their board, I think they have to take him over a DB or reaching for an OT.

Catfish Billy and westiedog1 like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

From an article at ganggreennation.com http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/1/5/14176092/check-out-this-seven-round-jets-mock-draft

Matt Miller has a seven round mock draft up. Here are the players he has the Jets picking.

First Round: Tim Williams, EDGE, Alabama

Second Round: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

Third Round: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

Fifth Round: Jon Heck, OT, North Carolina

Sixth Round: Riley Bullough, LB, Michigan State

Seventh Round: Psalm Wooching, FB, Washington

He offers a curious explanation for the Jets not drafting a quarterback when he notes the team took Christian Hackenberg a year ago. I’m not saying the Jets should definitely take a quarterback. I am saying the Jets definitely need a better reason to not take a quarterback than, “We drafted Christian Hackenberg a year ago.”

The picks on paper don’t look terrible to me right now, but the Draft process has a long way to go. We still have all-star games, the Combine, workouts, and more.

More than indicating who the Jets might draft, this mock might be better used to gauge a player’s current stock before we get into the offseason.

20. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

No thanks to williams at 6. There will be better options