Mock Offseason 2.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Jan 30, 2015.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This is my second mock offseason this year. Maybe I'll look to do another after the combine and before free agency. I talk a little about every move and offer some estimates on salaries based on comparisons using overthecap. Hope this makes for a little more offseason discussion

RESIGN

- RB Bilal Powell (2yr/3M): He’s an ideal reserve who has gotten better every year. He’s not ultra-talented and won’t fetch much on the open market. He’ll be a contributor here.

- FB John Connor (1yr/750K): This is a non-guaranteed deal for Connor to compete for a roster spot. Depends if and what this regime values in a FB

- WR Greg Salas (1yr/850K): He was decent when he played and will have a good shot at sticking on the back end of the receiver-group

- OT Ben Ijalana (1yr/750K): It’s a minimum deal for Ijalana to audition for the new regime.

- DL Leger Douzable (2yr/3.5M): He’s been a good role player and bargain for a couple seasons and the Jets welcome him back on another cap-friendly deal.

- NT Damon Harrison (1st round tender ~ 1yr/3.25M): One of the league’s best against the run. They would have to consider a team offering a 1st for him, but that doesn’t seem likely.

- LB Nick Bellore (1yr/900K): He’s been a top special team player

- CB Phillip Adams (1yr/800K): Will vie for depth in the secondary, not guaranteed a spot

- S Jaiquawn Jarrett (original round tender ~1yr/1.5M): Was solid in coverage even after his monster game against Pittsburgh

- LS Tannder Purdum (3yr/2.7M): Been consistent enough unless they want a bargain-priced snapper

DO NOT RESIGN DUE TO CHOICE
    - QB Mike Vick: There was a brief period when it was thought he could be a bridge player, but not anymore

- OG Willie Colon: He’s regressed and is no longer a viable starter. Upgrade at OG needed immediately

- OLB Jermaine Cunnigham: Injury-prone and now with legal issues, probably out of chances in the NFL

- CB Kyle Wilson: Not as bad as we often say, but he’s been a disappointment and I find it unlikely the new regime would want him back unless it was for 1M or less on a 1yr.

- S Dawan Landry: Tough call because he sneakily had a very nice season, but Bowles will probably put Pryor, who had a better season than given credit for despite some atrocious plays, in a better position to succeed. Have to consider him if it’s at a bargain of 1yr/1M or less, however.

DO NOT RESIGN DUE TO BETTER OFFER ON MARKET
    - NT Kenrick Ellis: He’s been a solid rotational player, but some team will probably give him a chance for significant playing time and pay him more.

- ILB David Harris: To me, he’s worth 2-3 yrs and about 4-5M, but he might fetch more with Rex in Buffalo and the Jets may want to get younger, faster, and cheaper via the draft

RELEASES
    - RB Chris Johnson (saves 3.5M): This is a no-brainer. Johnson had some moments, but is aging, was not content with his role, has legal troubles and is making a lot of money. Jets can get younger and upgrade via this loaded draft class or swap him for CJ Spiller, who had a monster year with Gailey.

- WR Percy Harvin (saves 10.5M): He’s not worth that kind of money and no team will give it to him. But with a creative offensive coordinator, this ultra-talented weapon could return at a better deal once he sees no team will pay him close to this much per year.

- TE Jeff Cumberland (saves 1.9M): Tough one because I do like Cumberland, but he’s making a lot for a guy who consistently grades out as one of the league’s worst by PFF as he’s mistake-prone and not a good blocker. Sudfeld is just as good or better a receiver; Pantale is a better blocker and combined they make much less than Cumberland

- OLB Calvin Paces (saves 2.1M): Been a solid player for years here, but it’s time to move on. The Jets keep Babin instead, who was very effective in 2014.

EXTENSION
    - DL Muhammad Wilkerson (6yr/52M): Need I say more? This must happen.

FRRE AGENCY
    - QB Dan Orlovsky (1yr/975K): This is one of the worst years to need a starting QB I can think of. The main source of competition for the Jets is still to come. Orlovsky offers a veteran presence and will be given the chance to even start games, but he could lose his roster spot also. I am assuming Matt Moore goes back to Miami and the Jets need someone with more experience than Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet or Christian Ponder, who are not impressive anyway.

- WR Percy Harvin (3yr/20M – 1-2M guarantees beyond 2015): Harvin really isn’t a bad option at WR at all. With the creative Gailey coming in, Harvin could be absolute dynamite on offense. Offering value all over the offense and special teams, but also with questions, this is essentially a 1-year deal.

- OG Orlando Franklin (5yr/30M): This is the same deal former teammate Zane Beadles got last offseason. Franklin switched from RT to LG and had a terrific season. The Broncos will be severely cash-strapped if Manning is back and need to get Demaryius back for Peyton. Franklin will come cheaper, offers much more in pass protection than Mike Iupati and could even play RT effectively.

- OLB Sam Acho (2yr/5M): The Jets starting OLBs aren’t that bad and Acho, who played for Bowles in Arizona can at least become an impactful rotational player at a good price.

- ILB Jamari Lattimore (2yr/4M): This is a depth-signing to help replace Harris. Lattimore offers more in coverage and will probably contribute on passing downs early on.

- CB Antonio Cromartie (3yr/18M): Had a phenomenal bounce back season under Bowles and offers a veteran presence for a young group; simply too many connecting dots here and offers just as high caliber play as Maxwell for a lot less.

- S Devin McCourty (5yr/43M): Here’s a bit of a splurge for the Jets, who get the game’s best coverage safety. Should be a little more affordable because he’s coming off of a year with less glowing-statistics, but the Pats aren’t in a good cap situation and would struggle to afford Revis and McCourty. The Jets secondary instantly becomes significantly better

TRADE
    - Jets trade 2016 conditional pick (4th, 5th or 6th) to Tampa Bay for QB Mike Glennon: I’m convinced that Glennon could be available and is one of the best options for QB competition. He’s young, offers a great skill set, had a very good rookie year and was out of favor from the beginning when the new regime came in. TB will obviously choose Mariota or Winston and the Jets get a much better QB than Geno. Wouldn't be surprised if he even requested a trade; he's dead in TB. Maybe he’s their starter for the near future, maybe he’s just depth, but I think this guy can play

DRAFT
    1. Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami: The Jets got a lot of pieces in free agency and trade and go with a riser at OT with Flowers, who was outstanding in 2014. This will spell the end for at least one of the Jets mediocre, aging OTs next offseason. Flowers will have a shot to start at OG over Aboushi in the meantime, but is under no pressure to play before he’s ready. Important not to get screwed at LT especially if Brick regresses even further

2. Denzel Perryamn, ILB, Miami: Back-to-back Canes for the Jets, who must find an ILB and should have a shot at a good one at the top of the 2nd. Perryman will need to outplay Lattimore to start, but could open on early-downs while he learns the nuances of NFL pass-coverage more

3. Ameer Adbullah, RB, Nebraska: Undersized, but explosive, Adbuallah will be an immediate compliment to Ivory and add another dimension to this running attack and passing game

5. Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas: Very experienced, undersized corner from Texas will get a shot to become team’s nickel corner sooner or later.

6. Tyeler Davison, DL, Fresno St: Jets lost Kenrick Ellis and usually go with just one DL behind Sheldon and Mo. Davison has ability as a pocket-pusher and run-stopper and could add versatile depth on the line. Jets met with him at the Shrine game

7. Gerald Christian, TE, Louisville: Offers athleticism, some blocking ability and upside. Will compete for a roster spot

2. JetFanInPA

2015 DEPTH CHART

***This is what the roster looks like entering camp with projections. A “ – “ indicates a clear cut reserve with a “ / “ indicating competition. With a whole new regime coming in, expect UDFAs to have reasonable chances at making the roster in various spots, but I’m not even going to try to predict that...

QB: Mike Glennon / Geno Smith / Dan Orlovsky / Matt Simms
    RB: Chris Ivory – Ameer Abdullah / Bilal Powell / Daryl Richardson
    FB: John Connro / Tommy Bohanon / Gerald Christian
    WR: Eric Decker – Greg Salas – Shaq Evans
    WR: Percy Harvin – Chris Owusu – Quincy Enunwa
    WR: Jeremy Kerley – TJ Graham
    TE: Jace Amaro – Zach Sudfeld / Chris Pantale / Gerald Christian
    LT: D’Brickashaw Ferguson – Ereck Flowers
    LG: Orlando Franklin – Dakota Dozier / Brian Winters
    C: Nick Mangold – Dalton Freeman
    RG: Oday Aboushi / Ereck Flowers / Dakota Dozier / Brian Winters
    RT: Breno Giacomini / Ereck Flowers – Ben Ijalana

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson – Leger Douzable
    NT: Damon Harrison – TJ Barnes / Tyeler Davison
    DT: Sheldon Richardson – Tyeler Davison
    OLB: Quinton Coples / Sam Acho – Trevor Reilly
    ILB: Demario Davis – Nick Bellore
    ILB: Denzel Perryman / Jamari Lattimore
    OLB: Jason Babin / Sam Acho – IK Enempkali
    CB: Antonio Cromartie – Dexter McDougle / Quandre Diggs
    CB: Dee Milliner / Marcus Williams – Darrin Walls / Phillip Adams
    FS: Devin McCourty – Jaiquawn Jarrett
    SS: Calvin Pryor – Antonio Allen / Rontez Miles

LS: Tanner Purdum
    K: Nick Folk
    P: Ryan Quigley

ROSTER COMMENTS
    - Expect Glennon to start; Geno and Orlovsky aren’t necessarily locks to make the roster if they tank hard and Simms or a UDFA outplays them
    - I’m projecting Shaq and Enunwa to be out; like Owusu’s potential and Salas as a reserve, but could see a UDFA sticking at WR too
    - Amaro will often function as a WR too
    - Flowers will get a chance to start at OG and RT, but ultimately I project that he doesn’t play much as a rookie or perhaps gets starts over Breno down the line. I predict Aboushi will play well at RG
    - I project Winters to be cut and Dozier to get a depth spot
    - OLB is a pretty open position as is CB behind Cro

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

You had me until McCourty. These Patriots players simply do not perform well anywhere but with the Patriots. Having advanced knowledge of the other teams formations and signals puts them in good positions. He won't have that advantage anywhere but NE so no thanks.

Otherwise I like the look of the OL and I think Glennon could be a good trade. I don't think he's the answer to all our problems but I also don't think he'll be the cause of our problems (i.e. Geno).

jetsons likes this.
  4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I didnt say this other mocks as I should have but Denzel Perryman is not the 38th best. I'd start to consider him only at our 3rd rounder (approximately 70).
    Sorry, but not a fan of an RB in the 3rd round.
    I like the Mike Glennon idea a lot. We have a difference of opinion on FAs to sign and who of our own we keep.

But I like seeing entirely different perspectives and fresh ideas. People are really thinking.

CleveSteve likes this.
  5. JetFanInPA

And with a completely new regime with the GM and HC in their first stints and so much cap space, we really don't know what to expect so seeing many different ideas and perspectives are all the better

6. JetFanInPA

That is a legitimate concern with Pats players, but McCourty looks like more than a system player. Plus, he would be playing under a defensive guru who really gets the most out of his players. I'd bet he'd play at a high level under Bowles

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm in almost total agreement with your FA moves. I like signing a bunch of the younger, cheaper guys to non-guaranteed contracts to compete for a roster spot. The only exception to that is John Conner. I don't know why the Jets even brought him back.. I'm not sure how much Gailey will utilize the FB anyway. I want Ellis re-signed, but he could get offered more to sign elsewhere than he would by the Jets, so it could happen.

The moves in FA I didn't like are the signing of Orlovsky and re-signing of Harvin. IMO Orlovsky is awful. Geno Smith is better. Even if Matt Moore stays in Miami, and the Jets don't think the QBs you mentioned have enough experience, Shaun Hill is better than Orlovsky, and Ryan Fitzpatrick could be cut, and he has experience in Gailey's system. I'm also not nearly as high on Glennon as you. I wouldn't make that move. At least you didn't keep Harvin at $10.5 million, but with his injury history I just don't think he can be relied upon. I don't hate the move and can understand it, but I'd rather see the Jets draft a young promising WR and wouldn't give up the 4th round pick to keep him.

With regards to your draft, at this point I still don't like the Flowers pick. I like the Perryman and Abdullah picks alot. I don't know anything about your low round picks, but like your explanation and the positions, especially if Ellis signs elsewhere.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way that Babin would be starting at one OLB spot. He's a role player, a designate pass rusher. Acho would be a better choice to start.

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

i love your 1st 2nd and 3rd draft picks. I'd be happpy with this offseason... think we need another WR though.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

If you cut Harvin before the start of the official NFL year, you would have a 4th Rd pick, you would only be giving up a 6th. Don't like our WR depth, it will be an issue.

I can't argue with your 1st 2 draft picks, they were the same in my recent mock. Flowers will emerge as the best OT in this draft, as long as he's cleared medically. I disagree using Flowers at OG, he could step in right now and upgrade RT and take over LT in the near future. A few people don't like Flowers, can't understand why, he's one of the only truely solid LTs available in this draft. other highly rated OL are mostly projected to be OGs.

I seriously doubt Ameer Abdullah will be available in Rd 3, especially with a solid Senior Bowl.

"Starting Jet OLBs aren't that bad"...........really? Pace will probably be gone and Coples is out of position. Babin can't be a fulltime player any longer. I like Acho, but he's not played the postion consistently for Zona. I prefer my option of Worilds. Even Brooks Reed could be another possibility.

Overall, nice effort!!!!

#10 WW85, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Double post

12. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

WW, after your thread i watched a couple more Miami games (Duke and Va Tech) and i have to say iwas impressed with flowers. He was pretty ordinary vs Nebraska (and not just against Gregory) but he was a force in those other two games.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Flower's wasn't expected to declare by some, especially after missing some time with a knee injury last October. It seems early on, the"U" (Golden) was trying not to reveal too much info, his injury was kept as quiet as possible, All I heard it was his meniscus and it was a minor procedure. All this leads to a late start in the draft process that has kept his stock down slightly. I'm certain teams will check him out extensively medically and if he's cleared his stock will rise considerably. There is no question a healthy Flowers is the #1 OT prospect in this draft.

I'm not a Miami fan, but I really love some of there prospects this year: Flowers, Perryman, Duke J, Phillip Dorsett and Chickillo.