Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

A month ago it seemed like a no brainer that Wilk gets traded for if no other reason salary cap relief. It seemed logical to try and fill other positions of need since we had a logjam at DL.
    Now the chances of trading Mo are waning so what now? Could we possibly sign him long term? How will that effect Fitz coming back? Does that mean we shop Sheldon after this season?
    Not trading Mo is the best thing from a why trade away superstars in their prime argument but the trickle down could be a hinderance.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

keeping Mo probably encourages Mac to bring Fitz back even more. Teams generally can't find record setting QBs for $8-$10M/yr, and if Mac's gonna slide some serous dough to Mo then we absolutely have to find stable QB play on the cheap. That's Fitz.

#2 Footballgod214, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I personally would be fine with us giving Mo a large contract. Who else are we going to spend a large chunk of change on? A rookie qb who turns into a franchise qb woulnt have a contract for 4 years, screw it give the man his money.

4. NOVAJET

I think it's the right thing to do, MO has 0 off field issues and is a flat out stud but losing him next year for next to nothing would be tragic. Imo we need to find cap space and go ahead and sign him long term at this point.
    If it comes down to Mo long term or Fitz I would be fine with a 3 way camp competition between Hoyer, Petty and Geno because I think Petty is the future.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Even if we traded Mo, it would probably be a day two deal. Don't get your hopes up yet.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

"No brainer" for some of you

Definitely not a "no brainer" for others

7. NOVAJET

With MO staying does that push Sheldon outside again?

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Aren't teams allowed to franchise a player for up to 3 consecutive years?

9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I hope we keep Mo too but then we essentially have three Pro Bowl caliber players (if we think Williams is heading in that direction) for two spots. Yes we play a ton of nickel and can get them all on the field together (which is why I believe we went after Lee last night) but in our base 3-4 who is the odd man out?

Trading Mo would have allowed us to use a great asset to strengthen other parts of the team.

With that said now that we arent getting a 1st rounder for him, I would be upset if he is traded now.

10. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

11. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

yeah but it gets pretty expensive after year one of the franchise tag.... the 3rd year costs a brazillion dollars

12. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Not trading Mo has been my favorite move of the offseason.

rohirrim665, JetsVilma28 and NOVAJET like this.
  13. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

I like what Carolina just did with Josh Norman.

The only people worth $15 million a year are franchise quarterbacks, period.

I can't stomach a defensive end (who's not even the best at his position) taking up approximately 10% of our cap room.

Unfortunately Mo's final year under contract happened to come during the deepest DL draft in years, so we aren't getting a high pick for him.

I think we've gotta let him walk at the end of the year.

Br4d likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we sign Mo to a huge deal it will cripple the team when negotiating with the other young guys coming up for contracts. They won't even have to be consistent pro bowl players to demand a contract as if they were one.

This is really big deal. We're suffering right now because we let Revis run the negotiations while he was in his prime. Everybody else looks up to him in that locker room and nobody is going to do anything other than what he did, which is to get the top dollar possible.

If the Jets fold to Mo Woody is basically finished as owner of the Jets. He might still own the team but it will be clear that the players and agents control the purse of the Jets.

It's unfortunate but it is likely the case.

Woody Johnson has been a good owner in my opinion but he has paid a high price for his mistakes when they happened. It's time for the Jets to begin operating from the standpoint of a high quality organization, not as if they were a middle of the pack team always trying to get into the top third and always falling short.

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

We already spent a large chunk of change on a player named Mevi$

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Might as well hang onto him and get the most we can outta him this season. Try to work it out before he leaves but worst case scenario he walks next march and we get a 3rd round compensatory pick. Since we can't trade him for a 1st, keeping him 1 more year + 3rd round pick > losing him and a 2nd.

might have to cut some other guys though if we wanna keep him and the draft picks and sign Fitzpatrick for 2016.
    --

If we DO hang onto him this year and try to work out a deal before he walks one guy that could be in quite an interesting situation after the season is Darrelle Revis. As I understand it the Jets have a pretty decent out if they wanted to get out of his contract after this season. Something like only $6 million hits the books instead of $15 mill if they release him. If 2016 plays out like 2015 did - with Wilkerson earning his money and Revis not playing up to his standard, the Jets could cut Revis and use the savings on Wilkerson I think.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Correct

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem again, is that really good teams don't have players other than the QB slated to make 10% of the cap. It just doesn't happen. The closest we have right now is the Seahawks and it appears they are on the decline now after paying Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Russell Wilson over the last 3 years. Their offensive line is trash and they're losing other key pieces around the big 3 and they'll be lucky to go 8-8 one of these years soon.

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The fact is that Mo and his demands have to go. There is nothing to be done about that. You do not give 50 mil guaranteed to a 3-4 lineman. I also dread having to play Sheldon out of position for another year. If he plays of course. I consider him the more talented, if behaviorally riskier, of the two. It is a waste.

20. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Spot on. I think Denver might let Von Miller walk for this reason. If I'm Elway, there's no way I'm making Miller the highest paid defensive player in the league, even if he's "worth it."