Mike T does a top 10 mock for NFLN

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gsulli5861, Feb 21, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

I wouldnt necessarily compare Hunter to Hill normally, I was basically just saying a completely disagree with a Hill-Patterson perspective... I was more so comparing them athletically, not rawness at all.

You disagree that Patterson is a type of gamechanger that can produce immediately despite being somewhat raw as a pass catcher?

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Because they e brain washed by the last 7 years of offensive ineptitude. Run,run/pass,3rd-long...then blame the QB. And while we had success in Rex's first two years we also had the best online in football, and none ever gave a thought about how most of the successful teams were winning routinely.
    By getting the ball out quick, and runnin second, or with a lead.

That having been said...at 9 if Jordan falls to that spot you take him.

The problem with acquiring Patterson, is Holmes is still on the roster.

Hill,Patterson,Kerley,Cumberland, would be a pretty good set of hands.

G&P comes in when you have a late lead in today's game.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

I actually agree with most of this, but WR is a need, and a big one. Whats a bigger need though? A playmaker on offense that actually strikes fear in a defense. Holmes is most likely gone after this year when cutting him is more possible.

What do the great franchises in this league do? Fill holes before they even open up. I for one would like for this team to finally have some foresight rather than trying to patch a hole after it opens up.

Hill is a major question mark and the only receiver that is somewhat proven and will be on the roster in 2014 is Kerley. I guess my point is, is that having on Holmes on the roster shouldnt even be a factor.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No one is saying anything about Ground and Pound. I want an all-purpose back on this squad. Shore up the offensive line by grabbing the BPA with the 9th pick. Remember how well Brick played with Faneca next to him? There will be other WRs in future drafts. Patterson is not polished, he's raw with amazing play-making ability. We need a dependable option with the 9th overall pick.

Roll with Holmes, Braylon, Kerley, Hill, and Justin Hunter. Justin Hunter is solid all around, can catch the football in traffic, has good hands, runs good routes. Ryan Broyles if you remember came off an ACL injury, but in his limited time with the Lions he was effective when Tidus Young became a bitch and started running the wrong routes.

Get a guy that has the play-making ability but at the same time is polished and can catch balls with his hands.

I can rely on Hunter to catch the football, Patterson not so much. Not if he catches the ball with his body.

#64 101GangGreen101, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

As a general rule, don't draft WRs in the 1st round, especially not the top 10.

NE, Pitt, NYG, GB, the teams that win Super Bowls, almost never do this. If you do your homework you can find guys like Colston and Welker in later rounds or even free agency.

There will always be exceptions like Calvin Johnson and AJ Green but I'd say the bust probability is higher for WRs than most other positions. Unless you can get a can't-miss guy like that, don't reach.

#65 al_toon_88, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Thought I pulled from WalterFootball but it makes sense to me.

Considering Tanny is the former Jets GM, you think he might be using some insider knowledge when mocking Patterson to the Jets? I'm guessing he was receiving feedback from Jets scouts throughout football season.

7. I'm sorry. I disagree w. this. Wholeheartedly.

The Jets have plenty of "dependable" skill guys. Kerley,Holmes,Cumberland, & even Powell have displayed the ability to produce when healthy & called upon. What they LACK is that x-factor big play guy who is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball.

I'm not concerned about Patterson being rough around the edges or the fact that he is a body catcher. He's not a guy who's gonna catch 10-15 balls a game anyway. He's a stretch the field/YAC freak. Jets have plenty of other weapons in place to fill in where Patterson lacks. He's also a potential upgrade as a punt returner..a duty he can handle while he learns better technique w/ hand placement/route running.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Patterson reminds me of Julio Jones. I would be very happy with him as our Jets need some freakin talent in the skill positions. I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo snags him one pick before though....

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The same can be said of every position. Taking any non kicker off your board in round one because of position is just plain stupid.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I have no issue with you disagreeing with my perception on the Jets draft needs. We are debating this for a reason.

Stephen Hill was suppose to be that "X-Factor" was he not? He caught 2 TD passes in his first game, he needs work on catching the football and he needs to get a little stronger, the rest will fall into place. Drafting a WR in the top 10, is outlandish if he's not a Calvin Johnson / Julio Jones type WR. He's a play-maker but he's no where near as good as those guys.

you want to replace Holmes? Look no further than Robert Woods.

You can find punt returners later in the draft such as Honey Badger. Justin Hunter was a reliable WR that has GOOD hands, can make plays inside and out and runs excellent routes. Hopkins from Clemson would be available in the 2nd round that is very explosive and can make anyone miss.

There are skill players in this draft from rounds 2-4. No sense in picking Patterson with the 9th overall pick - not with a surplus of WRs and RBs in the draft.

I'm going Warmack, Dion Jordan or maybe Moore with that 9th pick, then go skill player from rounds 2 and 3 (RB / WR). 4-7, you find that TE that can block and catch, and find a diamond in the rough (such as a QB).

That's my outlook.

11. Indeed. This has been a good debate.

Where we differ is that you want to leverage the value of this draft & concentrate on getting dependable skill players in the later rounds.

My thing is that i want dynamic explosion. I believe it's the Jets # 1 need. When you have a big play threat it can cover up alot of other deficiencies on a football field. The names you mention as prospects are solid football players. That said...I don't view them as those big play threats the Jets desperately need. There's only 2-3 of those guys in this entire draft.

As for Hill...Hill is a big play threat in terms of getting behind a D or using his size near the red zone..but he isn't a threat after the catch & you aren't gonna create offense through him.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

To be honest, Patterson may have better tape than Julio Jones did coming out. If he stayed for next season, he's probably a unanimous top 8 draft pick (would be higher, but next year is loaded).

Go back and watch some tape on Julio... Its impressive, but lets just say he's come a long way since then.

Hill was never drafted as a guy who can take it the distance every play... He's not very fluid at all when he has the ball in his hands. IMO, he was drafted to provide a down field threat and just run as fast as he can. He really should have been a 4th round pick. Im sure the Jets had hoped that he could turn into a Calvin Johnson, but how realistic is that?

Also, I would like to clear something up... I dont really see this conception of Patterson being a body catcher. If anything, Woods reminds me of a body catcher- I watched 6-8 games on him and only saw him catch the ball with his hands maybe 8-10 times... Patterson looks to me, to have very good hands and can extend and get the ball (although yes, in traffic he does tend to use his body more, but doesnt everybody?).

13. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I doubt Rex Ryan would invest in a raw player in his make-or-break year. That being said I think Patterson has great potential.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There are other prospects in this draft that can fill the "dynamic explosion" need and can also be had in later rounds. The same can't be said for other needs (e.g., pass rush).

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

He brought up a good point today that I heard- for a team that is looking to draft a QB in the early portion of the 2nd round, they might push to trade up into the 1st because with a first round pick, there's a 5th year option (which could be very valuable, especially for a developmental player).

16. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was opposed to taking Patterson with #9 but as you take in the draft as a whole we can find a starter at Wr in rounds 2, 3 and possibly 4. Warmack, Jordan, Jones, at 9. I don't know much on Moore so no opiniOn there I'm just hoping we don't take mingo

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets take a QB they'll know by year 3 whether they want to extend him or let him go and at what terms if they extend.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I hope they don't take patterson at 9, while this years draft may not have great QB talent, I agree with the consensus that a good skilled player on the oline and OLB will fall to us at 9, as a matter of fact I don't want the jets to take a WR or QB until the fourth round, I want to see a RB in the 2nd and a Oline help in the 3rd.

Or oline in the 2nd and RB in the 3rd, but I have a feeling there will be the Russel Wilson syndrome for this year, someone might panic and say we have to take a QB early because of the success of Wilson last year coming out of the 3rd round....JMO

19. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

LolololOlolol