Mike Mccagnan Season-Ending Press Conference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Video is below. This is the excerpt from Daily New

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/v...nference/a809ef4a-78db-4b07-8aba-780f746f6509

Mike Maccagnan not giving up on Jets’ Hackenberg: ‘The book on Christian is not closed’

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...giving-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3733160

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has not given up on Christian Hackenberg.

"The book on Christian is not closed. He's only 22 years old," Maccagnan said Tuesday in Florham Park during his end-of-season meeting with reporters. "He's made progress, made development. This is going to be a good offseason for him. We're kind of excited to see how he does with a second year in this system, and he's going to have an opportunity in training camp to go out and play again."

Maccagnan spent a sizable chunk of his 30-plus-minute interview session discussing Hackenberg. And for good reason.

Hackenberg — whom Maccagnan selected in the second round of the 2016 draft — finished his second full season this past weekend and has yet to take a regular-season snap. He's one of three quarterbacks taken in the first two rounds in the Super Bowl era (since 1967) to not see the field in his first two seasons.

So it's fair for many to wonder how much "progress" Hackenberg has actually made.

"He works very hard, and there's areas that he's actually improved upon, and, of course, in time, he's going to get the opportunity to go perform on the field," Maccagnan said. "I think we kind of have a feel for him internally, but he'll get his opportunities going forward."

Maccagnan doubled down on his stance from earlier this season, saying he's not "necessarily disappointed" in Hackenberg's snails-pace development. Maccagnan used the phrase "only 22 years old" five times when talking about Hackenberg, who turns 23 on Valentine's Day.

"Players develop at different paces," Maccagnan said. "I don't think his final chapter has been written yet."

Still, Maccagnan would not commit when asked directly if Hackenberg would be on the roster next season.

"I'm not necessarily speculating what our final roster is going to be," Maccagnan said. "There's a lot of things to be done before we get to that point in time."

Maccagnan also refused to address if he believes it was a mistake to take Hackenberg in the second round.

"You make a decision as an organization," Maccagnan said. "You move forward."

As the Daily News reported in August, Maccagnan reached to select Hackenberg when some at One Jets Drive wanted to wait.

"With any player, you look at their potential. But there's always an unknown (of) how fast they're going to potentially reach that," Maccagnan said Tuesday. "You want every player to come in and perform at their potential immediately, but this league is not actually built that way. So sometimes players develop at different paces, different ways, and again, he's a very young player. He's only 22 years old. So I think there's still potential in him."

There seemed to be a perfect opportunity for Hackenberg to finally earn regular-season action at the end of this season, after starter Josh McCown went down with a broken hand in Week 14.

Bryce Petty started under center in Week 15 and 16, but heading into the season finale at the Patriots, Todd Bowles hinted that Hackenberg could replace Petty at some point during the game.

Of course, that didn't happen.

When asked about the decision Tuesday, Maccagnan deferred to Bowles, who has full authority over game-day playing time.

"Todd has always had the ability to determine who to play. And when the players are ready, he'll play them," Maccagnan said. "I trust Todd to make those determinations."

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's also on the Michael Kay Show in a few minutes.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s great Mac, no reason to give up on him. He is young and under contract for the next 2 years. Just don’t let his presence on the roster stop you from finding a qb .

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks. Can you let us know if he says anything interesting?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Yea sure. He won't though lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

When listing positions to address, Bowles said “not just QB, but also DL...” he proceeded to listed off other positions. But starting with DL is not a good sign...

Bowles also said the #1 thing he learned from Arians was to keep fighting. If you get knocked down you gotta keep swinging, if not you will get eaten alive.

Well, Bowles gameplan several times this year reeked of roll over and die. Bowles was never aggressive and I didn’t see much fight out of the dumb bastard.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I guess Christian will fight for the #2 spot this training camp again. Could get cut if he doesn't deliver. There won't be enough reps for Christian, so he better come in next season a completely different QB. It will just be like Petty where he received some reps but not a bulk like Christian did this past off-season.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He should be competing for the #3 job, not the backup.

9. 101GangGreen101

This scenario specifically.

1 - Jets draft QB
    2 - Jets resign McCown
    3 - Jets keep Hack

Hack would be fighting for the 2nd spot to see if he's actually progressed. OTAs, he would be listed as the 3rd QB on the depth chart. If he can't get the backup job, I expect him to get cut after next season, not during the off-season. They can't go into the year with 4 QBs. Not enough reps to go around. So they will keep 3.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i don't think hackenberg's book has a cover. forget it mac. cut bait and move on.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That scenario is fair, but obviously extremely unlikely Hack can do that. Personally, I'd like to see them draft two QBs, a 1st rounder and one on Day 3, but see this as pretty unlikely.

12. 101GangGreen101

Oh it's very unlikely he gets the backup. It's just the base case scenario. I totally agree with you, I would like 2 QBs from this class and just get rid of Hack and Petty. I think there's gonna be some sleepers in this class that will be had in the 3rd round. From there, split all of the reps between the 2 new QBs and have McCown monitor and take an occasional rep.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It is if he was thinking an EDGE player.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Bruce Arians will be at the Jets training camp next year. Thanks BOWLES :)

Maybe we can give him a permanent, less stressful position ala Tom Moore.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They gotta get one or the other, if not both.
    For me, not having an edge pass rusher is just as exasperating, if not more, than not having the QB. That little ditty right there drives me fukn nuts

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Real fluff piece of journalism there. It wasn't worth the ink to print or the bandwidth the Daily News used to send it out.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with getting rid of Hackenberg but not at the expense of taking 2 rookie QB's. We already have one of those in Hackenberg just draft one in the first round.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So inspiring..another Churchill

boozer32 likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Hack has no future here, let that be on someone else's time. Jets should draft 1 in the first round, but I wouldn't be opposed to another one late in the draft.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Absolutely. The Jets’ inability to generate a pass rush is laughable considering they stubbornly rely solely on its organic manifestation from the DLine.

Aside from a bonafide DE rusher, the Jets need to find a happy medium between Reckless Ryan blitzes and Timid Todd blitzes.

Walt White likes this.