Mike M. has to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

Mo Wilk and Leo Williams are not a weakness, that's a strength. We can't have 3 players tied down to huge salaries on the D Line. So we got a second round pick and a WR that'll help with a young WR core. It was a good trade.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Time has shown that Williams Wilk & Sheldon did not produce together as a trio. Williams best game, IIRC, was against the Bengals, when Richardson sat. Richardson was a long-time, mouth-running pain in the ass. The fact that he didn't like being called out for lackluster effort by Marshall was telling about his personality. He influenced Wilk in a bad direction. They got a number 2 and a good receiver for him Good riddance.

As for Snacks, criticizing the decision to let him walk is a pure second guess. NO one thought he should have been kept over Wilk. He had a good season for the Giants. He played about the same as he did for the Jets, but he got a lot more credit for it than he did with the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way the sequence should have gone is: keep Snacks, let Mo walk, play Williams on the strongside, Snacks in the middle and Richardson on the weakside.

Instead we let Snacks go, gave Mo a huge contract and now traded Richardson at 26.

That's how you flip a surplus into a flat situation 2 years down the road. If Mo doesn't bounce back in a big way the Jets are going to have issues.

NYJetsO12, NYJ79, tbruner12 and 2 others like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree but:

1. I don't think anybody could predict Mo's freak injury a full year ahead.
    2. I still agree with the move to jettison Richardson.

I would think keeping Snacks is about the only point I agree with you.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Like fucking poetry

The Waterboy likes this.
  6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

to quote weeb ewbank, the only coach to win a world championship in both the nfl and afl: " hindsight is always 20-20".

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Richardson doesn't get half the pressure on opposing QBs that Mo does. Mo's a better all around player and more productive, and isn't the pain in the ass that Richardson is, nor is he likely to get in trouble off the field.

Getting rid of Sheldon is addition by subtraction. The fact that we got a 2nd round pick AND a pretty good WR makes it a no-brainer great trade.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what I was posting for 2 years from early 2014 through 2015. Let Mo go - over-priced and keep Snacks - a real bargain at the end of 2014 and still worth the inflated price by the end of 2015.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It was an awful trade.....The d line was the only strong point on the entire team.Wilkerson is overrated and he isn't worth the money he got.Macs drafting guys like Hack in round 2 so I can only imagine what bum he will draft this time.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Nothing because we don't have any real linebackers for the dline to create holes for.They we're good at stopping the run and the occasional sack.

11. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Will Sheldon be in charge of calling time outs from the sidelines on the Seahawks?

HomeoftheJets and tomdeb like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

only if they take away touchdowns

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Seahawks could have used him calling a timeout in the SB.

14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I can think of much better reasons to criticize Mac than committing a perceived snafu with a couple chump change picks.

How about whacking him for the team being less talented than when he started this job 3 years ago?

15. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

S.R.was about the cash. M.M. doesn't have to go. BTW Elway was a great QB and is an excellent GM. Just because Payton was a great QB this wouldn't mean he would also be a great GM. Elway has built his teams on defense rather than offense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This team lacks big time in quality veterans at every offensive group and the linebackers.

The only thing I'm thinking positively about Maccagnan right now is that he's identified that you need to draft a #1 overall type of quarterback to have any chance in this league. He tried bullshitting around with Hackenberg and Petty for two years.

Now he's realized it's time to get the big time signal caller. And then spend a boatload next offseason

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

Revisionist history.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Swapping 7th round picks is really not important as most 7th round picks don't pan out. We got a 2nd round pick and Kearse, to me Macc did well. I honestly did not think he was going to get more than a 3rd round pick, at best, back for Richardson.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Don't say "No one wanted to keep Harrison over Wilk". I was screaming for it.

The moment we announced Leonard Williams I thought for sure we would have Leonard, Harrison, Richardson going forward. This would have been the best 3-4 D-line in football for the next 10 years.

Instead Mac signs Mo to a HUGE contract and lets Harrision walk (the best NT in football). Now Richardson is gone too.

Mac needs to go.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

For me, the jury is still out on Mac. At this point I have more hope for him as a GM than Bowles as a coach. In general, I've mostly been okay with or liked his roster moves and draft picks with the Hackenberg pick being the exception. I just don't get how you can value an underclassman QB who played so poorly over his last two collegiate seasons as a 2nd round pick. However, he's swinging for a franchise QB and apparently did a ton of homework so just have to cross our fingers, but concerning he came to the decision he did.

Otherwise, we need to see how many of picks turn out this season from this class and the past ones. But again, hard to discern how much of a pick is just a poor choice or poor coaching/development. Several underwhelming picks, for example, I thought were reasonable and made sense at the time, but are now seeming questionable.

The offensive line could use more attention, but I also think he made good choices given the situation at certain positions and what was available. For example, Clady was a flop, but was the best option after Brick's retirement. The same goes for Beachum. He got two experienced NFL lineman to potentially make the line workable. Carpenter has been a great signing. He's banking on development of Wesley Johnson and his pick Brandon Shell so we'll see how they play out this year.

All things considered, the most recent move, Sheldon for a 2nd and an experienced young receiver is pretty darn good. Sheldon may be great in Seattle, but that's not the point. With investing in Mo Wilk (I was happy with that) and Leonard Williams looking like a borderline superstar, it was the only logical move. He was going to be a free agent and would you really feel comfortable giving $40m+ to Sheldon given some of his on and off-field antics? It's a huge risk.

NYJetsO12, wewantsapp and CBG like this.