Mike M. has to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Jets, Steelers, Phins, Texans, Chiefs, Chargers, Giants, Eagles, Skins, 49ers, Seahawks, Rams are just a few where the HC and GM both report to the owner or head of football operations. This was as of last year so one or 2 may have dropped off but others where it wasn't clear, that I didn't add may also belong on the list.

Did you actually try and do some research or did you think no one would call you out on your "Only 2-3 teams have a nonlinear structure"?

#281 The Waterboy, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't care how the structure is set up to be.

The problem with the current Jets is, both Bowles and Mac are reporting to a moron that has absolutely no fucking clue as to how to run a football operation. This needs some serious fixing - as a lot of people suggested, a Director of Football Op or a President of Football Op that presides over both Bowles and Mac will do it for me.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Technically, that moron has given his owner responsibilities to his brother. We might see a change, then again a pig still hasn't flown.

CBG likes this.
  4. The Waterboy

I agree, it's not about how it is set up but need to have someone other than an owner, who has probably never played football, even as a kid playing in the yard, making football decisions.
    Some posters like NC think the head coach answering to the GM is going to fix the team, when it really makes no difference.

#284 The Waterboy, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well it may not fix it, but what they have right now isn't working - as far as I can tell. I would assume - and I know that's dangerous - that Macc would prefer that Bowles play the youngsters, especially Petty/Hack, but Bowles is coaching for his job, if not with the Jets, then some other team. If that's true, then they're working at cross-purposes, and if Bowles reported to Macc that could be fixed.

OTH, if Macc is on board with how Bowles is using the roster, then they ought to both be gone, although I don't think Woody/Chris are going to do this.

In short, we're stuck with Macc and Bowles and Woody, and even if Jesus were the Pres. of FB Ops. it wouldn't help.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Welcome to The Flying Dutchman..

CBG likes this.
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Well - at least we are not the Dolphags.

They have Tannenbaum, not as their GM, but as their EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT. Yes. He runs the show. From draft to managing FA to communicating with coaches. GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

P.S. Dennis Hickey isn't hired by anybody yet. If Jets do pick a pres. of football op, he might be a decent choice for a scouting dept or even GM. [He's the one that drafted the recently decent dolphins players, like Jarvis Landry and whatnot.]

8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Woody is an excellent owner. The reporting structure for Mac and Toilet is not different from many other teams in the NFL. Woody is trying to avoid another mess like Rex and Idzik. It makes sense and I would have done the very same thing given the he said, she said nonsense and general hatred Idzik and Rex had for each other.

The key to fixing this whole thing is sticking with one plan. If their plan was to rebuild from the ground up, they should have started with that in 2015.

Another key is consistent, good drafting. Mac may or may not be good at this? He's great at taking the BPA and has done it many times now. He just needs to remember that sometimes the BPA is NOT the BPA for your team. It's obvious Mac never even considered that with Sharron Lee. He needed to trade up or down to avoid that mistake or just simply take someone else.

Mac's future all boils down to the success/failure of the 2017 draft. All of Mac's mistakes from the prior two drafts have already been forgiven. But the 2017 draft must succeed and lay the ground work for a young and improving team.

I think that's happening so far. Jamal Adams is an excellent player. Marcus Maye is an excellent player as well. The back end of the defense is so much more disciplined than they were in the past. Dylan Donahue is actually starting and doing an admirable job holding down the fort for Mauldin. Ardarius Stewart is a steal and I think he'll eventually show that besides Enunwa, he's the best WR the Jets have. Hansen is a good player but needs to be more involved in the offense to show his value to this team. I think Morton should get Hansen more involved. Jordan Leggett needs to get off the DL and start to show something. I think he can if healthy and given reps? Elijah MacGuire has a big test coming up this weekend. He'll be playing for Forte and I think McGuire is perfectly suited to replace Forte in that role?

Another important factor will be spending wisely in FA. The Jets need play makers to build on. Mac cannot spend like a shit faced sailor. He's got to add players that are still young and will be good, solid players far beyond next season. An OL is almost always a wise choice through FA? Not a play maker but a solid foundation guy.

So by my count, I see two starters already. Another starting and doing a good job so far. If Mauldin doesn't start to perform as advertised, he'll lose his job permanently to Donahue. The Jets are right where they need to be so far to continue this rebuild. They have a ton of cap space. They've drafted poorly in the past, but seem to be getting better at it. They'll have a lot of ammunition to trade up in the draft if need be to trade up and get a QB.

Mac just needs to stay away from taking miscast, little twerp linebackers in the future.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Still talking Woody as if he's the acting owner.

FJF likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

You say if Bowles reported to Mac and Mac wanted to run things different then Bowles, then having Bowles report to Mac could fix the problem.
    But if Mac was over Bowles, and they both think the current way is the correct way then nothing would change. That right there shows you it is not about the structure but who is in each position.
    The Steelers, Seahawks and Giants don't have the GM over the coach and they have done fine with that structure with 6 SB appearances and 4 SB wins over the last 12 years.

Once again, the structure does not matter if you don't have a good football mind making the final decisions.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's on your boi Woody

12. Mainejet

So he made a mistake and thought a quick turn around was possible? Shit happens. Get over it. That's what I did. It took me a while to embrace the idea of Safeties with back to back picks, but I got over it. I think fans should do the same with Woody. He's always wanted what is best for the NYJ.

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Get over it? Do you see me ranting over stupid shit everywhere you look for scores of weeks? Btw, I never had single issue with the Safety picks, so I didn't have to get over that.
    But setting back the team two years and putting Mac & Bowles behind the 8-ball of some Jets fans, and the abominable media that those fans heed is okay, gotcha. It's working beautifully, and has been for years.

[​IMG]

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree...the problem is the owner. The Steelers, Giants, Seahawks, have owners that know football, the Jets don't, and haven't since Werblin and Ewbank.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The problem is " THE OWNER ", he is trying to run a business that he has no knowledge of ! Woody knows not one iota of football, even after all these years, not a clue . He goes to "outside" people for advice on how to run HIS franchise , simply amazing . If Mac really is a lemon there is no accountability , Casserly and company just say "oops ". I guess in a perfect world what Woody Johnson has been trying to do would work but that said this world is not perfect and what Woody and company have been trying , over and over and over again just aint working !

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What I really want is someone with an extensive history as the director of pro player personnel. It gives them the best of both worlds, with the college scouting along with scouting NFL players. Maccagnan went straight from the director of college scouting to GM without any pro personnel management experience. It showed in the shitty way he managed the 2015 free agency period.

Maybe he learned from his mistakes.

We just need one unified vision as others have alluded to. If we're rebuilding then rebuild and stop wasting time with McCown. If we're trying to win games then we shouldn't have gotten rid of Decker, Marshall, Mangold and Harris even if they haven't been great this year. They'd still be contributing to this team.

We're on track to correctly rebuild. And then we have a 38 year old quarterback who is finally out there balling for the first (second sort of?) time in his career. There's no reason to bench him if he keeps playing the way he's playing and gives us the best chance to win.

And at this point, Petty will be an UFA before we know if he can even be a quality backup.

Everything in the rebuilding process has actually been run correctly but the most important position on the field which is quarterback.

It doesn't make sense.

I'll give you the Steelers and Giants as football has been in those families forever. But Paul Allen purchased the Seahawks in 1996 to save them from moving to So Cal. Dude made his fortune in computers, not assembling football rosters.

The Seahawks window is about to shut anyways because of the mismanagement of their roster on the offensive side of the ball. They hit on a quarterback and a bunch of defensive players. They sacrificed the rest of the offense to keep the defense together. Once Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor/Wagner/Bennett start to slow down even a little bit, and it's coming soon, the franchise will likely fall flat on its face unless Russell Wilson can do his best Peyton Manning impression and hold the entire team together despite there being garbage everywhere else.

John Schneider did an excellent job in assembling this team when he put that nucleus together. He's done a piss poor job recently of drafting and choosing who should stay and who should be sacrificed for the betterment of the offense. Their offensive line selections in the draft have been pretty terrible. Guess ya can't blame him too much though cause at least he's trying to build the offensive line. He's just failing.

He took a tackle in the 2nd in 2014, two guards in the 4th in 2015, a tackle in the 1st/guard in the 3rd in 2016, a center in the 2nd in 2017. And they all kind of suck. Outside of taking Frank Clark in the 2nd round of 2015 their drafting has been atrocious since 2012.

#296 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    HomeoftheJets and Red Menace like this.
  17. Mainejet

You can't tell me you know for certain that the whole FA spending spree and competitive rebuild thing was all Woody's fault. Mac could have just as easily been the guy that thought a competitive rebuild was possible. You know as little about who was responsible for that as I do?

Quite frankly, I think you're probably right? But I'm still not going to piss and moan about it? Especially after last weekend, I like the direction the team is headed in.

18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

It is still very early, but it seems that Mac has found a couple possibly gems this offseason

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm a long-time FSU fan so i was so upset when we passed on my boy Dalvin Cook. But i got over it & started loving the thought of two SEC stud Safeties in Adams & Maye back-to-back.

I feel bad for #4 but it's looking like Cook is done for the year. I believe an almost full ACL tear; done.

Macc hit the nail on the head with Adams & Maye out of LSU & UF 1 & 2. Our defense looks so fast on the backend. Almost blazing. Super athletic. And physical too. And we aren't getting beat deep for 80+ yard TD strikes over the top either.

Loving this draft class more & more.