Mike M. has to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 2, 2017.

1. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with Mac in general is that he turned a 2-3 year rebuilding project into a 5-6 year rebuilding project. The reasons are - #1 this stupid, misguided concept of a "competitive rebuild" and #2 missing badly on 2 QB's (although I'll give him a pass for Petty since he was 4th round).

When he drafted Hack, I remember thinking that he's either a genius who can see talent where nobody else can or he's a moron who will get eternally roasted for this pick. Pretty sure we agree on which outcome is more likely.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO you can thank Woody for the "competitive rebuild." Woody gave a mandate to get back to the playoffs. I'm pretty certain that if Mac had his way, that he'd have begun the rebuild immediately, but wasn't allowed to by Woody. It doesn't matter if Woody refused to give permission to begin a complete rebuild, ordered Mac to try the competitive rebuild, or just let it be known that he expected the team to be back in the playoffs within a year or two, the result would have been the same. Mac would have had no choice but try the competitive rebuild or face being fired before he had a chance to get his feet wet.

3. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

We'll never know for sure but I suspect you're right about Woody's influence. If I could change one thing about this team it would be the ownership.

4. NCJetsfan

http://nypost.com/2017/09/19/mike-maccagnan-was-right-in-getting-rid-of-these-ex-jets/

Mike Maccagnan was right in getting rid of these ex-Jets
    By Brian Costello

September 19, 2017 | 10:05pm

There was a lot of hand-wringing this winter and spring over who the Jets let go as they tore down the roster, but so far Mike Maccagnan looks like he made good decisions.

Darrelle Revis and Nick Mangold are out of the league, unable to find work. Ryan Clady is retired. Brandon Marshall has two catches in two weeks for the Giants, plus a monster drop in Monday night’s loss. Eric Decker has six receptions in two games for the Titans. Breno Giacomini is starting at right tackle for the Texans, who have allowed 13 sacks in two games. Marcus Gilchrist is a backup on those same Texans. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a backup in Tampa Bay. David Harris has played three snaps in two games for the Patriots.

Those are just all the salary-cap casualties. Calvin Pryor was cut by the Browns after Maccagnan traded him there and is now on IR with the Jaguars. Sheldon Richardson has four tackles in two weeks for the Seahawks after his trade.

About the only ex-Jet off to a hot start is kicker Nick Folk, who made all three of his field-goal attempts Sunday for the Buccaneers.

Even that move looks good for Maccagnan, though. Chandler Catanzaro, Folk’s replacement, is 4-for-4 on field-goal attempts, and costs $2.1 million less than Folk was due to cost.

The Jets roster might look ugly, but it is hard to quibble with the decisions Maccagnan made this offseason.

JetLifeLo, ajax, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If anything, he knows how to shed suck.

EDIT: Except that Toilet of a HC.

JetLifeLo and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He comes across well whenever I've listened to him, but the results speak for themselves at this point

When he took over we had a ton of cap room and draft picks to work with and 3 years later we are intentionally tanking games in September.

We had one season of overachieving against the softest schedule I've ever seen and didn't even make the playoffs....since then we've been in an absolute tailspin

To blame this on Woody (competetive rebuild) is a joke....You would first have to show us proof that he said playoffs in year one or else. He also neither made us a playoff (competitive) team nor rebuilt the team even close to properly. So either way you slice it, it's been a failure all around

I guess we'll see how it pans out if he even gets a shot at fully rebuilding this disaster, but so far he's done a piss poor job.

7. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I actually think the "competitive" part of the "competitive rebuild" worked a bit better than they originally thought...I'm guessing they tried to put together a team that might win (and attract the fan base back) w/ a bunch of "hold the fort" guys, while trying to build up the roster in year 1...But after winning 10 games, they got caught in no man's land in that they couldn't gut the roster in year 2, despite the expected regression, so they were left to double down so to speak...So instead of a further pairing down of the roster in year 2, they forced it a bit trying to chase the playoffs when the bottom fell out. My guess is that after that, Mac sold Woody on "total rebuild" instead of the "competitive rebuild" which led to the wholesale gutting of the roster in year 3, instead of more slowly pairing of the roster in year 2 leading into year 3...Either way, I think both paths were leading to where we are this year but am thinking they'd have probably like to see more production from their year 1/2 draft picks to this point...Again, just my two cents, but what the hell do i know...Good plan, the right plan finally, but need to see full execution of the plan by way of the influx of talent through the draft. QB being the number one priority, that goes w/out saying, but which is why a high draft pick is so crucial for 2018 draft...w/out that, plan will be tough to execute in full.

8. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

He doesn't make that decision. Bowles is his equal on the organizational chart.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Which is why Toilet Bowles is an exception. Deficiency this glowing would have been shitcanned by day 1 in Mac's reign otherwise.

10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

New to the thread, sorry if I'm repeating

What pisses me off, is that we keep ignoring the RB position.

Last year we should have drafted Cook in Rd2 and the prior year we should've drafted Derrick Henry, but we keep throwing picks away.

Granted Maye could be a stud but we can't keep ignoring the RB position. or WR for that matter

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

There were rumblings that a lot of Jets people wanted Alvin Kamara but Macc passed on him....http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-up-for-alvin-kamara-rankles-some-with-jets/

Granted, it is from Manish, but still wouldn't be shocked if people were pissed with Macc for not adding a stud RB in a draft that was loaded with RB talent.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There's definitely an article like this for every NFL draft when it comes to the Jets. I guess people trying to save grace or it could be just Manish and his BS which is more likely.

There was an article about Russell Wilson and Derek Carr.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Don't you know? We don't need no stinking RB. Hack is gonna throw 5-6 TD passes in every game!

CBG and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

There is this new RB named Elijah McGuire. Have you looked him up yet? It would do you wonders.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess if you're going to waste a RB's talent, no need to use a high draft pick on him.

16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It worked a bit better but it wasn't good enough which is all that should matter...In the NFL you should be happy with sustained success and being at the very least a playoff contender over multiple years barring injury

They made a gamble to throw their eggs all in 2015 and 2016 instead of maybe rebuilding slowly from the time Macc took over and it failed miserably....No playoffs and now rock bottom

The smart move was to sign younger free agents in 2015 and try to land a potential franchise QB at all costs either in that offseason or last year's offseason

If Petty or Hack panned out that would also be a bail out but that doesn't seem to be the case at all either

I'm not sure which route I would have went at the time but Macc gets paid the big bucks and his decisions and philosophy has ultimately failed the franchise...not really debatable, the results have spoken

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I took a look at the salary structure of the current Jets, out of curiosity.

The only albatross contract on the book is Wilkerson contract. [18M/yr]

After that - it's very healthy, all across the board.

This year's salary cap is at 167M/yr. After 10% off [for fringe players] You'd get about 150M to play with - and you need 22 guys on the payroll.

Thus, 150/22 ~= 6.8M

This is the average figure of a starter.

That said: currently Jets have 4 guys over the figure, out of which only 1 is over 10+M. [Wilkerson.] And 4th player, James Carpenter, exceeds 6.8M figure by only 5k, not by a million or more.

Currently, Jets have about 17M cap space this year, and that will baloon to 60+M next year.

=================================================================

I almost screamed Hallelujah when I saw the structure. It wasn't that long ago when Jets tied up like 65% of their cap to 6 players. [Thanks, T-Bomb!]

If anything, Mac 1. has eyes for talent - that is, we can say he knows how to shed bad players to say the very least. and 2. his cap management is actually very good.

What more should we ask from a GM? Eye for a talent? Isn't that why scouting department exists? And - coaching them up, and putting them in a position to succeed is the job of the HC, no?

#257 Zach, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Jersey Joe 67 and LAJet like this.
  18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I think Mac at least deserves 3 yrs minimum with his own coach

JetLifeLo likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Todd does not work for Mac. Another Woody major mistake.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I like Macc, I think he's showing this season that he is able to find under the radar talent and has put some pretty good young players on this team.
    The thing that I find hardest to swallow is drafting Lee ...not even Hack in the 2nd bothers me as much as Lee does, but this years crop seems to be showing some promise.

I'm not sure who will be available in FA but I think after QB our major needs to be addressed are OL & LB... these are HUGE needs.