Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Reyes looking for a way to blow this game. Typical.

2. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I read some oh no St. Louis fired their manager so that mean Joe Girardi is going there. Maybe I'm alone in this but I actually don't want Joe Girardi.

3. Walt White

No way he isn't gonna piss off Yadi Molina.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

JUst saw this.... makes sense from Jacob's perspective. I wouldnt want to just spin wheels in the mud in this mess:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-now-if-theres-no-interest-in-long-term-deal/

“We’ve been open to discussing long-term deals with the Mets. There’s been no numbers discussed, and I’ve enjoyed my time here. … I would love it to be here with the Mets. We’ll just have to see what happens.”

5. Walt White

Looks like Familia is a goner.

Lugo is burned. Maybe they get Gsellman for a little Sunday nite.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Cespedes is playing the Mets for suckers. He's trying to run out his contract on the DL. His latest: He needs surgery on both heels and will be out another 10 months... His contract is turning into an even bigger heist than the Fitz2.0 contract.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Here's an idea, Cman60. Trade Cespedes to the Yankees for Ellsbury. Maybe the Yankees would even throw in the rights to Nick Johnson and Don Gullett.

#8367 Since1969, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  8. Cman68

Throw in Dave Righetti and you gotta deal!

9. Since1969

Nah, the Mets wouldn't want Righetti. He was always healthy. They want the the injury-prone guys like Ellsbury, Johnson and Gullett.

#8369 Since1969, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Familia gone for a couple of minor leaguers. No idea if they’re any good,but I do know that he isn’t - even in 2015-2016 with his 94 saves he was never anywhere near as good as his numbers might have indicated. Another Armando Benitez.

Cabrera should be gone soon. If the team wins 70 games it will be a shocker.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

FUCK THAT GUY.... I can't wait until that overrated drama queen is gone

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Since1969

Don't forget that Mets fans were clamoring for the Mets to sign him long-term. At the time, there were rumblings in the media that Alderson was concerned about how motivated Cespedes would be once he got a long-term contract. Now we have our answer. The red flag was that the Mets were his fourth team in like five years. Guys with that kind of talent don't move around that much unless there's an issue. The Mets are stuck with his contract through the 2020 season. When a needy team has a chance to sign a talented by temperamental player, there's a real temptation to engage in wishful thinking: "Oh, we can get through to this guy; we can handle him." When it doesn't work, it ain't pretty.

#8372 Since1969, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  13. Cman68

Kinda like taking the local one nighter home to meet mom.. You just know it isn't gonna end well..

#8373 Cman68, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  14. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I never wanna have suspicions about a player with respect to injury but something fishy. This day to day is ridiculous enough but day to months? If he says he needs surgery get it now so he ready for next year. This whole thing has been asinine.

Some takes on the Familia trade

Mets get weak payoff for trading Jeurys Familia early

If the New York Mets are just going to trade their most valuable major league assets for salary relief, rather than to try to improve the club, then it's time for MLB to step in and force the Wilpons to sell the team, just as the league did with Frank McCourt and the Dodgers. Trading Jeurys Familia for two fringe-at-best prospects is not how any team, regardless of payroll level, should operate in this environment. For a franchise that operates in the largest market in the league to do this -- and do so 10 days before the trade deadline rather than waiting for someone to offer a legitimate return -- is embarrassing for the Mets and for Major League Baseball as a whole.

15. Cman68

I think the reality is closer to Cespedes doesn't feel like playing for a team going nowhere anytime soon. He can keep coming up with injury reasons why he can't play and next thing you know, its 2020 and he's in a walk year. He'll magically recover and play lights out for a month. Back in the day, we used to call that "running the game" on someone. Seeing how desperate Met Mgmt. is to keep up the front, there's nothing they can do but pay up and shut up to keep from looking like complete suckers about this contract.

Since1969 likes this.
  16. Since1969

Bingo.

17. Walt White

You guys are daft. Cespedes loves to play baseball. He lives to play baseball. Joy exudes off of him when competes.
    He carried them '15 and '16 he carried them on his back to the post season. People were comparing him to Willie Mays.
    In '16 he played on one leg and even had to change his swing to play and still hit, and carried them. Nobody does that. Every player on the team has nothing but good things to say about him. Watch his interactions with his teammates in the dugout.
    That's why he was re-signed. In hindsight complaining about the money is fair considering the injuries. But he was biggest reason they were good. The results this year just about prove that.
    It's funny tho when fans turn on somebody when they know nothing about him. I think Mets fans are worse that Jets fans. The media loves that shit. That guy gets hurt and this team collapsed and lost whenever he couldn't play.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. Cman68

Sorry, but dude has not earned his check so far. He really hasn't played much since signing that contract. What he did back pre-contract really doesn't matter as its not doing anything to help the team now. It certainly doesn't appear as if Cespedes is in any hurry to get back on the field. He was one game and already talking surgery.

Just a really bad optic WW. At this rate David Wright will beat Cespedes back on the field. Whether he "lives to play" baseball doesn't matter when you're not playing, show no signs of playing and coming up with new reasons why you can't play much anymore.

19. Walt White

They just talked about his injury on ESPN. It's real. Or somebody should memo ESPN that he's pulling the wool over their eyes also. If that man could play he would. It's a joke to think that that guy doesn't wanna play. When that guy plays his team wins. Look it up.
    It's sad that people project bs onto to someone and question their injuries or their tolerances when they haven't any idea what's really going on with the individual.
    That dude played hurt harder than anyone. He left it all he field for that fucking team. Too bad some fans can't see that or don't wan't to believe it. Please.

20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't really buy the conspiracy theories. As I said before, he's not really that good (despite his two scoreless innings today), and he's a free agent after the season. The idea that the Mets could get that much for him seems dubious at best to me.