Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Okay so we are 3-0 and our irritating bronx friends are 0-3 and in melt down already!

Long way to go as we all know and I am sure there will be the usual 6 or 7 Mets fans here to the bitter end!

Thought we would start a thread for the season rather than individual threads..it worked last seaso but then again there were about 3 posters by July!!

Anyway good barometer coming up in the Nats and Santana v Strasberg will be a good one!!

Lets go Mets!!

2. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

The good thing about this series is even if we lose 2 out of 3 games we'll still be 2 games over .500 going into Philly. I think the Mets will actually surprise people and win this series as well. Tonight-L Tuesday-W, Wednesday-W.

3. maynardsmyhero-uk

I agree that we will surprise a few people all season, big worry for me is depth for season. But at least we have positive stories fir a while oh and bay got a RBI!

4. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

We are going to start off 19-1. Only to go 40-102 the rest of the season.

5. maynardsmyhero-uk

That would be the mets way!

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Or we have a shot of contending in the playoffs and tank the last games BUT were 3-0 baby championship!!

/sarcasm

7. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

8 of 9 homegrown players playing tonight. 7 of 8 Omar draft picks/signings.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the only damper to this start is knowing Pelfrey is pitching tonight.

9. maynardsmyhero-uk

Which would be great if it wasn't for the fact Bay is there. Omar generally ignored the farm system and almost via default or injuries players like Davis,duda and Turner got their chance

10. maynardsmyhero-uk

Fuck I had forgotten aboutpelf and his 5th inning meltdowns

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Of course we're all pleasantly surprised by this start, but any objective person would have said that the Mets had 3 pretty good starters and a good starting lineup, so a 3-0 start isn't completely magical. In a 162 game season the problem, of course, is that you need at least 2 other decent starters, a bullpen, and everyday lineup depth, and right now it's hard to see that on this team.

Hey, I saw the Mets play at the Polo Grounds - 50 win seasons didn't scare me off then, so everything now is just gravy!

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I was thinking, say the Braves do still suck, could we have a shot at the playoffs? the NL Central sucks, the NL West isnt much better. I could see 85 wins being enough to get the 5th playoff spot.

13. statjeff22

If Terry Collins can get 85 wins out of this team he should win Manager of the Year.

14. DFW_Jet

DFW_Jet New Member

I'm not too concerned with wins this year. Really just want to see how this team develops since we have a lot of young players looking to prove themselves. It'll be fun this year just watching how the talent grows if nothing else. If Duda and Murphy can improve defensively, we might have something.

15. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Agreed. That extra wild card spot I think will make this year interesting. Some people are starting to compare us to the Arizona D-back of last year. If Johan can slowly come back to form, and maybe add a pitcher or another bullpen personal at the trade deadline (without giving up any real prospects) the Mets I think can compete throughout the year. Wright has a contract year remember, so he'll be putting up some good numbers this year too.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Mets won 77 games last season with, what, 24 blown saves and no Santana?

How many additional wins may Santana have been good for last season. Maybe 4? and if the Mets just convert 20% of those saves that is essentially another 5 wins. Last year could have easily been an 85 win season.

I'm not saying this team is destined for greatness, just that this team wasn't as far from being a playoff contender as most fans want to believe.

the drawn in outfield will compensate for the loss of Reyes, so if the pitching can hold up and the bullpen just be a little bit better than last year then this team can certainly compete for a wild card IMO. of course, maybe the 3-0 start just has me delusionally giddy.

17. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

We also lost our best player and a very good player we had for over half a season.

18. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Houston's 2-1. Astros/Mets NLCS.

19. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

The Mets bullpen is significantly improved from last season. In fact, that's the only area Alderson decided to focus on for whatever reason.

20. statjeff22

Exactly - it is completely unrealistic to expect anything remotely close to what they got last year from Reyes and a half-year of Beltran from their replacements. The 2005-2008 David Wright could help make up for that, but the fact is that he hasn't been that player in years. Ike Davis was great for 6 weeks, but who is to say he'll be that player again this year.

Forgive me if I'm not all in yet on a closer whose WHIP has gone up and whose K/BB ratio has gone down each of the last two years.