Memories of Clyde Gates, Greg Salas, and David Nelson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetaho, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

So we released Decker and Patton, and today there is news that ArDarius Stewart recently had groin and thumb surgery. We're bound to have some injuries over the course of camp and the season, and our roster is filled with young, inexperienced pros. What was once hailed as superior depth could quickly become a point of weakness,

Is our plan to bring in cast-offs like Gates, Salas and Nelson again once they get cut by other teams? Those were some dark days and they certainly did little to bolster our QB situation. I guess that if the FO has little faith in our rostered QBs, we might as well gut the team, but it is going to be hard to watch and I might have to spend more time doing things with the wife on Sunday afternoons.

2. greasyt

greasyt Member

Ahhh, the posse! Comparable to Monk, Clark & Sanders.

egelband and Jetaho like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Is Chaz Schilens available?

4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Yes and so is Chazz Michael Michaels

Jetaho likes this.
  5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Josh Cribbs is out there, and he can probably remember how to find the practice field, which is a nice bonus.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I fonder memories of David Clowney, our version of Randy Moss!

FJF and NYJalltheway like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Someone actually married you?

Jetaho and FJF like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

You bring up surgeries to that of ArDarius Stewart but fail to mention how he's expected back before the start of training camp?

Quincy Enunwa.
    Robby Anderson.
    Charone Peake.
    ArDarius Stewart.
    Chad Hansen.
    Jalin Marshall.

Those should be our top 6 receivers heading into 2017. All talented and all youthful.

Don't forget about pass catching TE's in ASJ or Jordan Leggett either.

If injuries do happen, it'll be the "next man up" who gets an opportunity, rather than looking for players off of the streets.

Nesquik and Devinthedude like this.
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Marshall is being suspended, and Anderson is facing legal problems, correct?
    ASJ has a lot to prove. And as soon as a rookie starts to miss time it can slow his progress, so Stewart has work to do.

We could be doing better there, but we'll see how things go and develop.

10. Since essentially the CBA in 2012 the Jets have had a chronic issue of WR's being on the mend seemingly from the start of OTA's through TC onward, w. all sorts of ailments many of which soft tissue. Alot of this is due to lack the proper conditioning & preparation that the CBA eliminated from the equation. That said the Jets conservative philosophy at this position has not done them any favors w. getting young prospects the reps they need to properly develop. That's when depth really suffers come the regular season & you're forced to sign guys like Clyde Gates off the streets

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I really don't have much in the form of memories of Clyde, Greg or David. They might as well have been Peter, Paul & Mary considering their combined contributions to the Jets... :)

Red Menace likes this.
  12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

My memories of David Nelson was that he a good-looking guy who spoke like an articulate surfer dude, but was from TX. Caught some nice passes, bit the dust.

15. jetophile

Before anyone starts a thread on Justin McCareins, please let me stop you. I was actually excited about his signing. It got better when it denigrated to McStiffy, McDroppings, and McMissedit.

[​IMG]

FML.

Cman68 and Peebag like this.
  16. jetophile

I miss Derrick Mason. Just sayin'. I forget what happened now, who was demoted in favor of him, but then Mason said some things that landed him in the dog house. Derrick Mason, basically a stellar move with lasting impact. God, will we fckn suck into perpetuity. I left the question mark out, because basically I'm waiting for Godot.

Peebag likes this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

ASJ is suspsended too. Two games

Walt White likes this.
  18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Damn, missed that one. I'm not counting on him. He has a looooong way to go.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

This thread really has 'Alex Van Dyke's' name written all over it.

Dude was a legit NFL bum.

And after being the #1 pick of the 2nd round (31st overall) he went on to become one of the biggest Jet WR busts of All-Time.

3 years with the Jets from 1996-1998 but yet only combined for 25 receptions for 211 receiving yards and 3 TD's.

Simply pathetic.

We could have selected players like Mike Alstott, Tony Brackens, Amani Toomer, Lawyer Milloy, Muhsin Muhammad and Brian Dawkins there in the 2nd round. Those players could have helped us get past Denver in 1998 for a SB too.

But instead we drafted Van Dyke who was a two-time All-American and led the entire Nation in receiving yards per game (168.6) and receptions per game (11.7) coming out of Nevada.

Even a bust in Stephen Hill put up more production in two years, than what Van Dyke did in three years as a Jet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was the first and last player that our Franchise has ever drafted out of... NEVADA.

20. jetophile

^Oofa, Van Dyke, but OP was talking about signing WR schlubs from other teams to shore up our wondrous offense. Curtis Conway says hello.