Mehta: Scouts ‘shocked’ to see out of shape Wilkerson at Temple’s Pro Day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's it!

Mehta keepin' it real in the NWO bustin' Mo usin' the y2ky jelly...damn

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This is the first picture posted here that we know when it was taken because the content says when the event was; none of the other pictures were dated. Again, it is not the content that was in question here, it is the idea that no matter what Mehta says (and some other guys to a lesser extent) it is the idea that some here have that anything other than lollipops and roses should ban a news guy from the facility. I hate that type of homer shit. Nobody wanted to throw the guy out the window a couple of months ago when he came to Wilkerson's defense in that "fuck this game" bullshit, but some here wanted Wilkerson gone. You can't have it both ways boys, just be consistent.

(Actually, that was probably Richardson with the "fuck this game" nonsense blown way the hell out of proportion, but it was still Mehta who defended him while TGG guys were ready to torture, kill and dismember him.)

#142 Ralebird, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The problem with this notion that we shouldn't have written it off immediately just because it's Mehta is that we weren't the only ones doing it. Other members of the media were calling him out for how stupid and clearly false that report was. Coz from the Post flat out said if someone doesn't give Manish access, he buries them.

So it's not really a "homer" thing. It's a logic thing.

Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mo Wilk got overpaid by the GM and is now untradeable

Why is it that as soon as he gets his big contract he "has an off year because of injury"

Lemme tell ya something at that type of money ($1 million plus a game ) I would hire the BEST personal trainers to help me do at least average performance or BETTER)

Didn't he miss meetings too? ,,,,,,Great

I await the barrage of Mo homers and posters who think I whine about players ridiculous contracts

jmho

#144 NYJetsO12, Mar 25, 2017
  5. BroadwayAaron

A few things here:

-He broke his leg before he got a big contract. The implication that the injury "excuse" is invalid is... invalid.

-Unless you believe Manish Mehta which only a fool would do, Mo's conditioning is not a problem. He was elite for years leading up to this past one. He was at basically the same weight the entire time. He didn't need to hire any personal trainers.

-His contract is not absurd. The day it was signed it was deemed by most to be pretty team and player friendly. It's actually one of those rare big contracts that's good for both parties.

-Before you go falling back on the "homer" garbage, I think Mo had a bad year last year and the fact that he missed meetings is inexcusable. That also doesn't taint my image of a guy who was top tier at his position and a model teammate for years.

Mogriffjr, Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Overpaying a player runs a real risk of lowering his drive, particularly when he was known as a high motor player who took plays off to compensate and when you gave him enough money to happily retire on.

You cannot buy great players. Great players are great because they put 100% into every play and they're invested in being great. Paying anybody who is not clearly headed for the Hall of Fame the way the Jets paid Mo is a move highly likely to backfire in the end.

Hopefully Mo, who really is a high character guy, will put all this noise in the rear-view mirror and have a better second half of his career than the first was. That's what it will take to justify that huge contract. Not doing silly things like blowing off meetings and being late to them is obviously a must given the millions the Jets have given him to be a great player (and again you can't purchase great, it has to be there or not already.)

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The contract is absurd.

No good team would have given him that kind of money. He'd have gotten it from a mediocre to bad team trying to make a splash.

The Jets should have locked up Snacks earlier to a more affordable contract than the Giants wound up paying. They'd have a 3 man line right now with Leo Williams on the strongside, Snacks in the middle and Richardson on the weakside. They'd be paying their line about 60% of what they are paying at the moment and they'd have more value out of their recent draft picks in the process. They'd have the same 3rd round comp pick this year that they got for Snacks.

If the Jets cut Mo to get out of the deal in 2018 they're still living with $9M in dead money. However his very high cap numbers ($18M, $20M, $18.5M, 19.5M) will put real pressure on the Jets to renegotiate those numbers out into the future and cause long-term impacts like the ones that D'Brick and Sanchez contracts caused.

#147 Br4d, Mar 25, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

In theory your DL makeup is great. But 1, paying Snacks what the Giants did (or more considering we'd have to fight them off) would be dumber than giving Mo the contract he got and 2, are you really comfortable putting your faith in Sheldon Richardson who also had a bad year and is a head case on top of it? Also why would you assume Snacks would have been locked up earlier for cheaper?

Next year we could cut Mo and save $11 mil if we wanted to. So that's basically two years of a deal that really hampered us. Also, let's not pretend it's hampered us. We will have almost $70 mil in cap space next year so it's kind of hard to call the contract absurd. Again, you're getting a top tier guy at the time he signed the deal. It's not like you're just putting money in a paper shredder for fun.

You can get on Macc for a handful of things. Mo's contract isn't even in the top 10.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense imo. That would have been a terrible series of moves.

10. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Im to the point where unless you are talking about Reggie White in his prime I'm not giving any defensive player $40-50 million guaranteed.

Mo is a good player, but we paid him like a hall of farmer which he is not

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I did not expect much form him early because he was coming off the broken leg. And I have never been in the MO-Is-The-Greatest-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread camp. But he laid down on the team when it seemed that it was out of contention. He never got back to where it was reasonable to expect him to be: a talented, overpaid DLineman. And it appeared a lot of that was due to indifference rather than lingering injury

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep

Someone hands me 86 million , 57 million after tax Say 6 million to his Agent thats 50 million net ...and why should I break my body ?

Like someone else posted You can't BUY greatness. If he wants HOF status the guy has to earn it. Even if tens of millions is the going Market rate.

Being an Accountant Store Manager or Salesman are less dangerous jobs but still require you to meet some standard based on your salary

imho

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was Richardson. People just don't read Mehta, so likely nobody even knew he defended Sheldon. Of course Mehta defends the locker room cancer guy on the team. No surprise there, he wants dysfunction, because it sells. The story about Mo, however, is big and falsely claims one of our top stars is out of shape, so it spreads all over. If it was just Mehta talking about it, I'd have never have heard about it, but a bunch of places had an article about it, it's impossible to miss. Every news outlet was talking about it.

#153 Sam Hammer, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Can I please see the crystal ball that you have to somehow already know this? No offense but fans have extremely short term memory. One bad year and he's done forever. You guys are crazy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Then you'd probably never have a great defensive player for long. I don't like the ridiculous salaries and guaranteed money any more than you or anyone else on this forum, but it's the new reality in the NFL. Like it or not, teams are making money hand over fist. The players deserve to get their fair share.

I don't see any of this changing unless fans start staying away from stadiums en masse, and advertisers stop shelling out big bucks. If the owners stop making so much money or actually start losing money, then players' salaries will go down, but I don't think it will ever happen.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's not about him being lazy, he came off a broken leg and when things like that happen, especially a serious injury, in the offseason he's basically trying to heal the injury, and not working to get better. He basically had a lost year. Now instead of rehab, he can get stronger, faster and work on his technique. I'm willing to bet Mo will either have a year comparable to his 2015 year or better than that.

FJF likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

BINGO!!!!

looking from this standpoint every single piece manish wrote makes perfect sense!!

18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt last year because of the broken leg and the fact that the Jets were totally out of it early. 2017 will be a make or break year for him in my eyes - the effort better be 110% from the start.

Mogriffjr likes this.