Mehta: Patriots castoff Antonio Garcia looking for redemption with Jets after health scare

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Jun 10, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Antonio Garcia speaks with a matter-of-fact edge that masks a frightening year that could have cost him much more than his football career.

The Patriots’ 2017 third-round pick missed his entire rookie season due to blood clots in his lungs before getting a harsh reminder of the realities of this business. Bill Belichick cut Garcia one year after trading up for him, leaving little doubt that The Evil Empire doesn’t believe that the young left tackle could help New England in an obvious position of need.

Garcia, a fluid athlete with good lateral movement skills, didn’t allow a sack in more than 900 offensive snaps in his senior year at Troy. He admittedly was thrown for a loop upon learning of his diagnosis after a few training camp practices last summer.

“It was definitely unexpected,” Garcia told The Daily News. “It’s never happened ever in my life. How did I react to it? I was caught off-guard. But I had no choice but to accept it and try to improve every day.”

The Patriots placed Garcia on the reserve/non-football illness (NFI) list in September. Patience was required for him to ever have an opportunity to play again.

“I didn’t really have a choice,” Garcia said. “You have to (be patient). It wasn’t easy, but you got to take stones when they’re thrown at you.”

Garcia was placed on medication that made it impossible to take part in football activities.

“With the medication I was on, I couldn’t have physical contact,” Garcia said. “But I did everything else. I lifted every day. I ran every day. I kept myself in shape. You just got to try to stay away from (things like) jet skiing, bike riding.”

Garcia lost weight, though he refuted a report that he dropped nearly 40 pounds off his 302-pound frame. He was cleared for football activities in March before participating in the Patriots' voluntary offseason workouts.

Garcia told the News that he’s “about 290 pounds” these days (12 pounds lighter than his weight at the 2017 Scouting Combine). There are fair questions, however, about whether he can maintain a 300-plus pound frame.

It wasn’t long ago that the Patriots believed in him. They traded their third-round pick (No. 96 overall) and fourth-rounder (No. 124) to move up 11 spots to take Garcia, who appeared to be in line to replace Nate Solder as Tom Brady’s blind-side protector in 2018. It was surprising that Belichick and respected offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia gave up on Garcia so fast after their investment in him. They obviously didn’t think that he’ll be able to stay healthy.

“I just wasn’t cleared medically in New England. So, it is what it is,” Garcia said. “I think they knew I was a good player.”

Maybe so, but the Patriots’ decision to draft Georgia tackle Isaiah Wynn in the first round coupled with their trade for veteran tackle Trent Brown left little doubt that Garcia wouldn’t have a role for New England.

The Jets claimed Garcia off waivers hoping to get him back on track. Garcia, who’s been taking backup snaps exclusively at left tackle during OTAs, has the skill set to fit into the Jets scheme that will put an emphasis on outside zone-blocking principles (aka stretch runs).

“They’ve added the wide-zone schemes, which I’m pretty used to considering they did that in New England,” Garcia said. “I’m just figuring out my role here. I just want to earn a role. That’s what I want to do. ... I’m acclimating well. I’m just trying to get into a rhythm.”

Maybe the Jets can cultivate all his talent.

101GangGreen101 and egelband like this.
  2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

This might be just the LT that we need. Have some faith in him. Pick up a few more pounds and get healthier. The Pats may have given up way too soon after moving up in the draft to pick him. Welcome Antonio.

LF911SC and FJF like this.
  3. Thought he projected as a potential starting LT coming out of school. Jets met w him prior to that draft.He was a perfect fit for a ZBS who just needed to learn better pad level & get stronger. Patriots traded up right in front of Jets to nab him;No coincidence im sure.

Ya have to wonder if theres more to the health situation than weve been told given the Patriots moving on so quickly.That said if he really is medically cleared he has a chance a year down the line.The key will be Beachum staying healthy to allow this guy to get his feet underneath him & start honing in on his development.

It would be beyond huge if he could be the long term answer at LT. We could then use critical resources to improve other deficiencies like pass rusher,top end offensive skill, & the rest of the OL. Likely a pipe dream but these things do happen

4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

And fuck the Pats!

donkey, Jets_Grinch, LF911SC and 4 others like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Which would be the cherry on top :)

LF911SC likes this.
  6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am hoping this guy looks promising for us. Although the Pats did pick up someone this offseason (can't remember his name) at LT, its extremely strange that they didn't give this guy another chance considering he only had 1 season there.

Usually it takes more than 1 year to learn the position and Garcia was thrown for a loop with the medical condition. If reports are true and he is 100% healthy then we could have landed a steal. He reminds me of D'Brick, who wasn't the biggest or strongest in the league but had amazing technique and could keep up with the quickest pass rushers.

Props to Mac though, he is clearly looking under every rock to find talent at a reasonable price. Most GMs would have panicked by now and went after every overpriced FA to build an unsustainable team. Yeah, we could have possibly made the playoffs for the next couple seasons, but wouldn't get close to a Super Bowl.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Normally I would worry about his situation behind the scenes that would cause the Pats to cut him, but the Pats have acted very weird lately. It could be that the Pats are in win now mode and this guy needs a couple years to develop. Perhaps Belichick thought Garcia would be the starter after his first year and that hasn't panned out. Garcia will need some more development if he is to become a starter for sure.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I read between the lines that there might be some other, ahem, shall I say, alternative self-treatment issues at play? 40 pound weight drop? Let's face it, there's still performance enhancing drugs being used in sports today. I excuse it in my own mind more in football than baseball just because of football's gladiator aspect, but when you see linemen all around the NFL look shockingly smaller after only a year or two out of the league it ain't from not working out as much. These guys are still doing whatever it take to get big.

I'm not accusing the guy because I know nothing about him and I sure don't even care if he's now wearing green, but, I'm just adding a possible reason. When all of a sudden baseball players started needing hip surgeries ten years ago, I said to myself "I don't remember baseball players EVER having that injury" And sure enough, that injury (A-Rod, Utley and many others) has subsided. I don't know what caused the hip issues - it was never a specific play or a slide that caused it. I have no clue what can cause blood clots in the lungs, but what young man, especially an supreme athlete gets that? Just an inkling that the Pats later found out something.

#9 LogeSection2RowJ, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

As if the Cheats would care that someone was cheating the system! The only way Garcia can find redemption is if he becomes a whistle blower! But he might get murdered in his sleep! I keep saying it, but one of these days, someone will have the guts to expose how the Cheats cheated at Monopoly! It's not just a board game! Hopefully one of these days Belichick won't get out of jail free! And for everyone calling the Cheats a dynasty, you should watch that show Dynasty! Forget about who shot J.R.! Who shot Bob Kraft! Ricki Lander, you idiots!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

11. He could very well be on prednisone present day to help manage the clotting..i would assume that would be exempt from from nfl test results.Other than that have a hard time seeing this guy shooting up muscle juice when his life could hang in the balance..

Now prior to the clotting he very well could have been juicing & perhaps thats what caused the issues to begin w.But thats irrelevant at this stage.

Personally i never thought he was a great fit for the Patriots to begin w.They like lunch pale man scheme blockers w long arms & stoutness at the point of attack.Garcia has the long arms but is more agile than he is stout. Hes a much better fot in the Jets ZBS.

12. LF911SC

So the Pats dumped a player because people on a board think, with not a shed of evidence, that he was juicing? Guess a midget WR who was juicing was ok. Or Harrison back in the day. Or Ninkovitch a year ago. And all the others

Royal Tee likes this.
  13. LurkerInGreen13

I'm honestly really excited about this signing. I was fan of this kid coming out of the draft. If his health is good and he really has kept himself in football shape he could be HUGE for us.

14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Hey, despite the topic I brought up, I like it too. We must keep trying to embarrass the Patriots in all possible ways. On the field would be the preferred way of course, but any way counts. We got close to doing that last year with Kony Ealy.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

We let Ealy get away. Should have locked him up at first sign of talent and potential.

Dallas just got themselves a ball player.

Royal Tee and stinkyB like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Maybe...

But there's something wrong with that guy. He's like afraid of contact or something. It's why the pats cut him and it's why he doesn't play as much as he should

Physically gifted no doubt but he doesn't take on blockers for his teammates. Dude just likes to stand upright and rush the passer

17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Maybe the problem was the Pats felt like he wouldn't ever be able to use steroids again?

I mean how useful is an OL who had problems keeping on weight who medically can't juice anymore?

That was my 1st concern I heard he lost 40 lbs and when we signed him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18. LF911SC

Maybe we should just wait to see what happens instead of making the guy into a roid head without a single fact to back it up or any of your other wild claims

19. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Its nigh impossible to play D1 college ball on the offensive/defensive line with taking steroids...

The pros? Be real. If you aren't on roids you aren't playing in the league.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So even though all those players, according to you, are taking steroids, almost none of them get caught?

You have like any facts to back up your statements?