Megaupload taken down, executives indicted

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cellar-door, Jan 19, 2012.

1. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Encrypt it before uploading so the company has no clue AND then you need a decryption key to access any of the stuff...

No way for the authorities to know what a file is and no way for the company to find out either....

I guess the sharing component will be among your friends/network and not wide spread though like it was before since it involves that decryption key?

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

im still reading the details and comments and my head is hurting from this too. I think you will be able to give out the key to others almost like how some sites give out passwords to its users.

One person writes :

21 hours ago

There could be a public encryption key. which is used to encrypt your encryption key.

Say your encryption key is "45" ... When you "Create a public link" it takes your encryption key, and adds 1 to each digit. "56" is your public key. Now no one knows your personal encryption key. Mega still doesnt have your encryption key (assuming they dont save it, which considering what they're going for, they definitely dont).
    When you go to download the file with this public link, they know how to extract the private key from the public key (-1 from each digit in our example) to give you the file. They give you the file, and destroy anything that is unencrypted after its done being downloaded.

Now obviously the private-public keys and conversions are a lot more complex than I've shown. But this gives an example of how to share data without sharing your private key.

And another :

Basically... its like having a key that splits into two parts.

One part you keep private with you... the other is "public".

Others can use that public key to send you a file that can only be opened when combined with your private key.

Thats the overly basic explanation.

3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Site getting slammed...

I guess people really liked megaupload...