MegaMillions Screwup

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Ralebird, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I mean other than the fact that the official winning numbers bear no resemblance to those on my tickets.

Six hours after the drawing it is still not announced if there was a winner but the official MegaMillions website shows the megaplier being 2x while the official new York State website shows it as 5x.

Nevermind - the place I looked for the winning numbers on the NY had Tuesday's numbers showing as the most recent with a megaplier. Strange though, that it has not yet been announced if there was a winner.

#1 Ralebird, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone won. When I drive to work everyday there is a big lottery billboard on Rt 17 South (I think it is Hackensack?) that has the Powerball and Megamillions prizes on it and normally after someone wins the night before it resets. I just drove by it about 30 minutes ago and it didn't reset.

CBG likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

According to the ny lottery app Wednesday drawing is 1.6 billion

The Dark Knight and CBG like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Nope, nobody hit the motherlode. I generally don't play Mega or Powerball unless it's something astronomical. I played a quick pick yesterday. Oh, well. :/ Yeah, $1.6 billion, the cost of that POS Palace a/k/a The New Dump. The jackpot will rise quite a bit by Tuesday. If I win, I'll try to buy the Jets.

Ha, in reality, how much money do you really need. I'm a pretty simple person, so I'm sure I'd probably do some major renovations on my home, always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, but I'd give a huge portion of it to charity. I'm not the ostentatious type so believe it or not I wouldn't be buying or building some mega mansion or buying a Bentley, it's just not my style. I'd buy a modest home/log cabin in the Adirondacks or in Stowe, VT and definitely a small modest home in Italy. I love it there. Going again in either early June or early Oct. I could easily see myself living there six months out of the year.

Just an FYI, a woman who won I think it was $500 million dollars or something crazy like that sued to keep her identity private . She won the suit.but I'm not sure what state that was. Believe it or not there are so many horror stories about people who hit it big and wound up having their lives ruined, and I'm not even talking about the ones who blow it all and go broke . On that note, good luck, all! PB tonight is up to $470 million I do believe. Go jeto! I mean, Go Jets!

Brook! and CBG like this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay,,,,,this could make both of us forget how bad our fantasy football teams are !!!! We could also build our own Indoor / Outdoor all year round ski resort !!!!

#5 CBG, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Brook! and FJF like this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jeto since you asked the question "how much money do you really need." let me put your mind at ease as I don't want you stressing any more than necessary = IF you do hit this damn thing = I DONT NEED MUCH , I just want to" wet my beak" so throw a few bucks my way and all is good . LOL

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

that was in NH

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I
    I thought mega million drawing was Tuesday’s?

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Woman at work got me in our office pool for 4 bucks ...I think for both jackpots

Wishing youhave some good karma dueRale

10. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

If you’re wondering how much you really need, always remember, 1 million dollars at 6% interest, equals $60,000 each year.

11. jetophile

Right, thanks. I think it's bs that it's necessary for you to be 'outed' in most states in order to collect your winnings. Your name is published, your mug is broadcast, you're splashed all over the news. I realize it's a state by state thing, but it should be against the law federally. I read this crazy article once about lottery winners being kidnapped, murdered, stalked, badgered, threatened, suicides, etc. Your best bet is to lawyer up with a prestigious firm who has handled big lottery wins before and stick the money in a trust. Don't tell a soul. Not even family. So after tonight and Tuesday, I'm not telling anyone - except maybe the dog. He can keep a secret. I think.

Oh, and the other thing, sign your ticket(s) IMMEDIATELY and put them in a secure place. And as to the immediately part in case you lose your ticket(s) somewhere and someone finds it/them blowing down the street, guess what? The findee has to prove YOUR identity to the lottery commission. Good luck with that. Then again, I'm sure in today's world of hacks/identity theft, it could be done, but better safe than sorry. There was a crazy story years ago that a cleaning lady stole a lottery ticket from someone's house. The guy left the ticket on the kitchen counter UNSIGNED. It was before the drawing. The numbers came in and he couldn't prove it. Cleaning lady denied the theft and got paid. I clean houses for a living. J/K.

Also, someone won Lotto in my neighborhood when I was a teenager. At the time, Lotto was the biggest game there was, but jackpots would only reach about $3-5 million tops. Well, two neighbors on the street next to us decided to pick numbers together and word of honor they'd split if they hit. Guess what? They won, only the neighbor who actually physically played the slip and had physical possession of the tickets lied his ass off and refused to split the money. And, it was the other neighbor's numbers who actually won it (he wrote them down on a piece of paper). What an ungrateful POS scumbag. He became a social pariah and nobody really talked to him after that. About a year later, they moved.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea Tuesday, my bad

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think anyone in the states that require the winner to be identified could prevail at a trial to overturn that lottery regulation. There is too much evidence that identifying someone who just collected hundreds of millions of dollars could have their safety and that of their extended family jeopardized. That danger should outweigh the need the commissions have seen for identification to protect the "integrity" of the lotteries.

14. jetophile

Does it even fall under the FOIA? Just public record state by state, so if you want to know who won you can. The dumbest part is everyone knows how high the jackpot is going anyway, so identifying someone who won the big one is incentive after the fact for everyone else to play more? It's hilarious to me that on the back of the slip it says if you have a gambling problem please get help with some gambling helpline phone number, which is most assuredly some 12 Step horseshit. Only in NY has graduated to Only in America. Playing the lottery but if you have a problem call this # to get help, haha.

The lottery/numbers people that used to kill me the most were the wheezers when I had to catch my train. I only want a cup of of burnt coffee for fuel! That's it! Fifty box, fifty straight, wheeze, give me a pack of Newports, wheeze. Blup blup this way that way, wheeze. Holy Shit, c'mon, I'm done. I can't tell you how many times I threw a buck on the counter for crap coffee and said there's my money, not stealing!

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have never played before, but something tells me I should this week!

16. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i was gonna win it, then i decided to wait until it swelled up just a little bit on this next drawing, it's esacalted to just about at the right size for me to some serious damage.

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yep, It's not worth my time unless it's over a Bill.... so if you dont ever hear from me again after tuesday, theres a good chance I'm headed towards some remote tropical island with good surf with my middle finger in the air :D

TommyJ likes this.
  18. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

if i won i probably wouldnt even make it to go collect, id be celebrating early in a helicoptor with 27 strippers and shoulders deep in a glad bag of coke and headed for disaster haa haa! done for.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

OK, a semi-serious dream scenario question for money savy folks here....... If someone was to actually win this haul, would it best to form some sort of group Trust, and have the trust claim the prize?

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I would do a blind trust for the privacy aspect as a top reason. Have the attorney claim the prize for the trust. I know someone who won $10 million and the number of people that come knocking for a handout is astonishing, I can't imagine a prize 160 times that.
    Still not sure if I would take the $900M lump sum or $53M a year. Could put $800M in a safe investment getting 4% a year netting $32M and after 30 years you still have the $500M plus the $960M in interest payments. Granted you would have to live off the mere $100M you took from the initial $900M

FJF likes this.