Mayweather vs McGregor

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by matt robinson 17, Feb 14, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The perfect ending to justify a rematch

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Ref was right to stop it. He was out on his feet and was seconds away from getting knocked to the ground snoring. No way he would have been able to protect himself from a solid power shot.

I loved it. They let McGregor get away with some MMA stuff and Mayweather fighting a style we never see.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, that was predictable. Wife beater DV poster boy wins.

Greenday4537 likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

McGregor. Started like Petty , finished like Hack............
    No surprise . Predictions were May weather by TKO Rounds 8-10

5. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

This fight felt WWE staged. Floyd purposefully made it last longer.

MJK likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He had conditioning on his side.
    McGregor could never handle the distance and was gassed by round 3. Mayweather let him punch himself out.
    May have been able to end it in the 8th but wouldn't risk McGregor landing a good punch. Smart by Mayweather.
    Don't think he purposely extended the fight.
    McGregor didn't belong in the ring with him. Same as Mayweather wouldn't belong in the octagon.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

A UFC fighters endurance will never be able to last 12 rounds against a great conditioned boxer such as Floyd in a boxing match. Ever. They just don't train for that type of stamina.

Floyd was truly genius tonight. He protected himself early on (when Connor was most dangerous) and took ALL of Connor's energy away as the fight continued. Connor was physically dead at the end.

In a UFC or street fight? Floyd stands no chance. But in boxing? He's king of the ring. A 40 year old fighter just out lasted a fighter still in his 20's. Magical.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

SCORECARDS were a joke Thank god it did not go the distance there would have been a riot. I had it 4-4-1,,,,,,judges had it 89 -82 Mayweather,,,,one guy had Mayweather up by 4 pts ,,, what a joke,,,,ref did stop it a little early but Mcgregor was spent. He has nothing to be ashamed of it was a good showing but Vegas and the judges are a joke

JetBlue likes this.
  9. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

oh boy

joe likes this.
  10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Most entertaining Mayweather fight in a VERY long time.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mayweather did exactly what I expected him to do. Avoid the power early on and let him tire himself out. McGregor even does this in UFC fights and comes out guns blazing before slowing down. Luckily he was always able to go to the ground when his arms got tired.

I still give him a shitload of credit. He lasted longer than I thought. I was a bit nervous for Floyd early on. He looked very hesitant but it's likely because he has no idea how to handle that fighting style.

I thought the referee did a great job as well. Mayweather kept turning his back and baiting McGregor into those hammerfist opportunities. McGregor luckily never hit him too hard to qualify for a DQ which at times looked like what Mayweather wanted him to do.

I mentioned this to my friends before the fight. It had to be tough for McGregor as I'm sure his instincts were just kicking in everytime that happened.

Entertaining fight. Was well worth the money as compared to Mayweather/Pacquaio.

GordonGecko and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Commercials were Condom commercials earlier. I didn't watch the fight. I ended up sleeping. :) I hope you guys enjoyed it.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thanks for the link brook

Brook! likes this.
  14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Judges were bought and paid for. Standard in boxing.

Two of the judges (one named "Guido") scored the second round for Mayweather.

If you watched the fight, Mayweather did not win the second round.

So McGregor wasn't winning by a decision even if he somehow didn't gas and kept up the striking.

[​IMG]

FJF and CBG like this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Yisman , 2 of these judges gave Mayweather rounds 2 ,3,and 4-----lol. The first 4 rounds were easily Mcgregors. after that I did not have Mcgregor winning a round, but I also had one rd even it was either the 5th or 6th can't remember. Maybe my math is offed up AND I know Mcgregor was spent that last rd but 10 -8 ? How do you score a rd 10 - 8 with no knockdown ? Its done now but thank goodness this did not go the distance or boxing would have another black eye

FJF and JetBlue like this.
  16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

There's plenty of poor decisions each year (Bradley/Pacquaio and Pacquaio/Horn are the first two that spring to mind in recent history) but this one dwarfed those fights in terms of publicity, betting, PPV buys, etc.

I can only imagine what all those Irish fans would've done. Lots of rioting had McGregor kept it up and the judges did what they were planning to do.

They had all decided who they were scoring it for, and who knows if they were even paying attention to the fight.

Literally no one (among all the fans, boxing pundits, etc.) thinks Mayweather won round 2, because it wasn't a round that could've gone either way. Clearly McGregor's.

CBG likes this.
  17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Mayweather threw 10 punches in the first 2 rounds..he was checking out McGregors power..once he realized his power didn't translate to a boxing ring he stood in front of him till he gased out then started throwing bombs...Mayweather was clearly old and didn't train hard for the fight..if Conor gets in there with a top ten guy he will get destroyed within a round.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I was pretty surprised myself to see them giving Mayweather a round early on. McGregor dominated the fight early and Mayweather looked incredibly hesitant even if it was part of a predetermined strategy.

At the same time I think Mayweather won 5-10 and would've absolutely beaten down McGregor in the last two rounds which would've lead to an easy decision win for him.

I think the angles and the unusual style of McGregor is what threw Mayweather off. McGregor fought exactly how he does in UFC/MMA. Low hands and keeping one hand up the entire time. McGregor also looked huge compared to him. I wonder how many pounds he put on in between Fridays weigh in and the start of the fight. I'd say maybe as much as 7 pound, yeah?

It seemed unusual how quickly they called it without a knockdown but at the same time Mayweather landed 9 straight shots on him without McGregor throwing a punch back.

It was well worth the money this time IMO though at least as compared to the Pacquaio fight. I think it was also good for both sports.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

I was talking to a friend that's been in the boxing industry for 20 years and is a former pro fighter with 10 career fights. He said the same exact thing when I wondered if McGregor would stay in boxing for the money. Said that any of the top boxers today would outclass McGregor and incredibly quickly.

MJK likes this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

This is why professional boxing cannot be taken seriously as a sport.

CBG likes this.