Mayfield/Andrews Combo?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 24, 2018.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Watching Key play, I was actually more impressed with him than Bradley Chubb. That said, this feels like the Randy Gregory situation all over again. Like the Cowboys did, someone will gamble on his ability.

2. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I think he would have been in the discussion to be a top 5 pick if he could have declare after his sophomore year. Key was a force that year and had 2.5 more sacks than Garrett. I think in the 3rd round, with the Jets desperately needing a pass rusher, Key is worth gambling on.

3. xxedge72x

I don't know. If there is an offensive lineman or tight end available that projects as a starter on the Jets, that is the route I'm going. We've gambled enough in the past, lets bring in solid contributors rather than lightning in a bottle.

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a bad idea. That being said a tight end in the third when we have so many other needs I don't think we should do that. Now if you tell me we trade back and get more 3rds and 4ths then I would or if we could get him in the 4th not a bad idea. Using our third I wouldn't do it.

5. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I'd have no problem with the Jets going the safer route by addressing the OL or TE position. I just think Key has the potential to transform the defense if he is back to his old self.

6. xxedge72x

Read up on Bates offense. TE will be taking on an importance for the Jets that hasn't existed in quite some time. I'll be really surprised if we don't get one somewhere in this draft.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If Key is there in the third and checks out for the off field issues he should be the pick. A top talent but seems to have off field concerns and I heard he put on too much weight last year. If he corrected that and is there he should be the pick.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to a tight end. I just think at pick 72 with some of the oline talent, a need at de/olb and possibly a running back we can get a tight end a little later. Now if one of the top guys falls into the third for sure draft him but if not get another position in the third and look at the tight ends in the fourth. Everything will depend on who is there and what the coaches and front office want. Either way I can't wait to see who we get. Always fun to learn about them and see how they fit in.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

BPA between OL, TE, HB, edge whomever that may be.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have to respectfully, albeit strongly, disagree. If we draft him, I sure hope that you're right. I think he will be one of those guys who does just enough to get by. I can easily see him as being the type that in his contract year (the last year of his rookie deal), he'll bust ass, put up great numbers, get paid, and then coast/dog it. He has been a big underachiever in college. He didn't even work hard to try to improve his draft position this last year. If anything, he has regressed. I don't think he has a love for the game, and does just enough so that he can get one big NFL pay day. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Personally, I don't think he's worth the risk or that we can afford to take that risk. One, the team is already scrambling to make up for all the wasted draft picks by Tanny (by trading up, giving Rex a pick, and just missing on picks) and Idzik (horrible personnel guy, terrible drafts), and Mac. Two, we're trying to change the culture into a winning culture, and we need disciplined players who want to be the best, who have great character and work ethics, not ones who have questionable character/work ethic and are risky. Three, we can't afford to add to the missed picks, especially since we had to give up three second-round picks to move up to get a QB. While there are no guarantees good or bad with any player, I think that we have to go with a player with our third round pick that is safe and solid. We simply can't afford any risky, boom or bust prospects. In all likelihood, we'll have enough of that with our QB taken with the 3rd pick, especially if we wind up taking Allen or Darnold.

11. NCJetsfan

Now this mystifies me. If you're talking about watching Key play a year or two ago when he was playing at a high level, then I perhaps could understand that, but not with his play from this past season. Chubb has a high energy motor, he is non-stop and is very good against both the run and the pass. He has more pass rush moves than many, if not most, collegiate edge rushers coming into the NFL. IMO Key isn't a scab on Chubb's ass in terms of production, character and work ethic. He has great athleticism and talent, but a lot of players do and bust in the NFL. I think he's the type that will coast and not work to maximize his potential. I want no part of him on the Jets.

12. Bowles_Rips

Bowles_Rips New Member

The Jets have a tight end.. His name is Quincy Enunwa

13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

He's definitely a hybrid wr/te combo. I do believe part of the reason they didn't pay more to Jenkins. That being said coming off the neck injury scares me but if he is healthy he'll be used in the hybrid role.

14. xxedge72x

I should clarify that I've spent like less than 1% of the time looking at pass rushers and other positions compared to the QBs. This year, I'm all about the 3rd pick. After that, I want to see the team support our 3rd pick, rather than give him the Mark Sanchez treatment and continue to work almost exclusively on defense talent.

15. NCJetsfan

It would be nice on one hand since they know each other and have chemistry already. OTOH, Andrews is considered a 1st round pick, so there's no way we could get both, and I'm not sure I'd even want both. Andrews knows how to get open and is a very good receiving TE, but I don't think he's very athletic and I think that he is not much in the blocking dept.

I'd rather add his FB Dimitri Flowers in the 6th or 7th round. He's a very good receiver and blocker both in pass protection and the rushing attack. He's a good WCO FB.