Mawae says goodbye to Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gafher, Mar 7, 2006.

1. gafher

gafher New Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114171385050870.xml&coll=1

Mawae says goodbye to Jets
    Tuesday, March 07, 2006
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

It was as unceremonious as unceremonious can be. After eight seasons and six Pro Bowl selections, the Jets tossed center Kevin Mawae aside like yesterday's newspaper.

Mawae, who showed athleticism and speed during his stint with the Jets, is coming off a torn left triceps injury but he has been given a medical clearance. Though Mawae and the offensive line struggled a bit last season, it was believed that the 10 games he missed would only serve to rejuvenate him and add a year or two to his career.

At 35, Mawae, entering his 13th season, felt he was getting his second wind and could perhaps mentor a young center for the future. The Jets, however, thought differently and officially released him on Sunday.
    Advertisement

"I'm not angry," Mawae said yesterday in a conference call. "I'm disappointed but it wasn't a shock. In the last eight years I've been here, I've given everything I had to the team and organization on and off the field.

"I spoke with (general manager) Mike Tannenbaum prior to the end of the season. There was too much rumor out there (concerning him being released). I told Mike whatever they did I understand. It's a business decision."

Mawae's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said a number of teams have already called and Mawae plans to continue his career. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are possible destinations. Bartelstein said the Jets really didn't try to rework Mawae's contract, in part, because they apparently had their mind made up that he was expendable.

The release of Mawae saved the Jets a meager $1.1 million on the salary cap. Instead of keeping Mawae, the Jets opted to extend the contract of center/guard Pete Kendall, who is expected to replace Mawae as the starter. Kendall is 32.

"I really don't believe it was a money issue," Mawae said. "In my eyes, there's nothing I can see that I've done wrong. Just with a new head coach (Eric Mangini) and Mike Tannenbaum taking over, they just wanted to go in a different direction.

"I still believe that I'm probably the best guy on the (free-agent) market. I guess people look down on 35-year-old centers who made the Pro Bowl six times."

Fact is, the Jets want to add some beef to their interior offensive line and didn't want to keep both Mawae (6-4, 289 pounds) and Kendall (6-5, 280 pounds) as starters. Mawae was the oldest.

"Obviously, they have a high interest in Pete and I'm happy for him," Mawae said.

Mawae was signed as an unrestricted free agent by then-Jets coach Bill Parcells in 1998. Underrated before his arrival, he quickly showed his worth. He anchored the Jets' offensive line, paving the way for running back Curtis Martin, and helped the Jets to the 1998 AFC Championship game.

In 2004, Martin won the NFL rushing title with 1,697 yards and he had rushed for 1,000 or more yards in 10 straight seasons before last year, tying Barry Sanders for the NFL record.

"There's nothing more that I'd love than to retire as a New York Jet," Mawae said. "My name has been known in New York for quite some time and I've been successful here. ... The only regret is we didn't get it done in 1998 when we had a chance. My goal now is to go and fulfill that goal somewhere else.

"I wish (Mangini) the best of luck. I've got a lot of heart and emotions tied to the New York Jets but it (getting released) is part of the business."

2. gafher

gafher New Member

this is the only move so far that really upset me. i would have let kendall go instead.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Mawae is a class act, I wouldnt be at all surprised to see him return to the Jets in a coaching role in a few years time.

4. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

hmm one part of the article was a bit troubling. It seems like Kendall will replace Mawae at Center, but I heard that he played better at guard, so what gives?

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This just sucks. Mawae was a great one. I don't care about those who don't think he has what it takes anymore, or those who feel he cheats a bit. He was always a class act, and he will always be one of my favorite Jets.

It does disgust me that this was planned all along. We were led to believe over the past couple of weeks that he was released because he wouldn't restructure, but it doesn't sound that way now. So far I have liked the Tangini era, but this is not cool.

As far as Kendall, he improved last year at center as the season went on. He will be functional. Maybe they plan on picking up someone in the draft, and Kendall is only being kept around long enough to bridge the gap.

6. promos

promos Member

You know that Mangini is from the BP and BB tree. It has made me wonder if the real reason behind Mawae's release isn't because of the $$ or not because of what him and Fabini alledgedly said to the press about Chad.

But, maybe they got released because they talked to the press period. It has always been a given from the BP family tree that players/assistants and such don't talk to the media.

Could a message have been sent?

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I wish kevin the best as long as he's out of the division, he's been a great player for us for a long time and one of the faces of the franchise during the best period in Jets history.

8. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

yeah, definately wish him the best. He was probably our best player over the last 8 years, or at least very close to it.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is it in a nutshell:

"The Jets want to add some beef to their interior offensive line and didn't want to keep both Mawae (6-4, 289 pounds) and Kendall (6-5, 280 pounds) as starters. Mawae was the oldest."

We need beef on the O-line, plain and simple. Show me a team that builds upon young, fast, big linemen on either side of the ball and I'll show you a team with the greatest chances of success.

10. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I'd like to believe this is true, as I subscribe to the HOGS philosophy for the offensive line, but I think this is just a little spin to cover the Mawae cut. Once the numbers came out in the press, everybody can plainly see the cut has nothing to do with numbers.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is what I'm saying, GSourJr. We're saying the same thing. It wasn't the numbers, it was more Mawae's size and age and perhaps diminishing strength. Mangini comes from a mindset (particularly Parcells') that size, speed and agility on both lines are critical.

With a draft coming up heavy in O-line I can just see Mangini going for bigger, younger, stronger people. Guys on the other side of the ball are getting bigger and bigger. We've got to step it up and I'm sure we'll be able to do that. Can't wait for draft day!

12. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I've also heard a rumor the Fabini and Mawae were the two guys who slammed Chad P in an article for being so injury prone. If that is true I can see Mangini getting rid of them to send a message, while freeing up some cap room....

13. MawaesDaMan

MawaesDaMan New Member

Definately going to miss Mawae. In my opinion, he was our resident tough guy. Some would say a little dirty, some would say just physical. He will be missed. I dont know who will take his place in that respect. We have talented ball players and exellent athletes, but nobody jumps out at me as a true old school, badass. Herms fingerprint on the team, a bunch of good guys who can play. I for one, like a thug or two, keeps everyone else in line.