Mason Rudolph 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well boyz, here's a darkhorse candidate for us to follow..

NYJetsO12 and PennyandtheJets like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mason Rudolph plays tomorrow night at 8:00 PM. The game is on ESPN2 against a cupcake team.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but I do enjoy these threads. Gives me something to watch other than the Jets and offers a sliver of hope that we might draft one of these QBs.

I am still in awe of what Chosen Rosen did and how we handled himself throughout the game. Never put his head down and never acted foolish on the sideline. This is what intrigued me the most about him. Can't wait to watch his next game on Saturday.

NYJetsO12 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agree that these QB and OL-follow threads are a great idea as we enter week 5 of the 20 game preseason. It seems like Rudolph is similar to Falk in that he comes from a very QB-favorable system, but put up eye-catching production and many scouts think he transcends that system.

Would caution people not to get too up (Rosen, Jackson) or down (Darnold, Allen) from game to game. With that being said, Rosen did show a lot of what you need to see to invest a high draft pick in a QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about Mason Rudolph. He throws some pretty balls and has a big arm and certainly command of that Air Raid offense, but he only looks at one receiver. He locks on and doesn't move any sort of defender with his eyes.

I'd stay away. He's just like all those other system quarterbacks only bigger and stronger. Colt Brennan's stats were impressive too.

6. legler82

Rudolph doing his best Big Ben imitation with that last scramble and TD pass.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. legler82

My biggest concern with Rudolph is how he likes to float the ball on the deep passes with a ton of air underneath the ball a lot of times under-throwing the WR.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

I just think it's the ultimate crapshoot with Rudolph. He doesn't need to read defenses in that system and therefore he doesn't do it. So it's tough to say whether he will or will not be able to in the NFL. Maybe he can? Maybe he can't.

Won't know until he's in the league and trying to do so.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't see him as a 1st rounder - maybe 3rd or 4th even. Hell, after Macc picks his 3 "D" guys, maybe he'll consider taking a flyer on his to give some "competition" to Hack in camp.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I watched the game live and just rewatched this throw by throw. He's locked on to one man the entire game. He actually reminds me a lot of Geno Smith. Big strong player, makes simple reads and delivers the ball on time on target. He's bigger than Geno though.

And as I said before with all of these Air Raid quarterbacks you're just gambling on their ability to end up being able to read NFL defenses. Because they don't even have to read college defenses. Hasn't worked out for any of them really.

Let's not forget that Geno's touchdown to interception ratio for his career was 98 touchdowns to 21 interceptions, while completing 67.1% of his passes. Their stats are eerily similar, although Geno Smith through for more yards and touchdowns.

That's about the last I'll post about him before I bore y'all with the same speech over and over again. Pass.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey Cman was ready to start a thread on this dude and here you did..WTG

If he is is this years P Mahomes WHY NOT??? Rosen is on my top list along with Sam D

But If they both stay in school and try to make the Honor Roll...I say we roll with this guy

Gut says this kids a winner...already beat OSU. Let's see how he does against okie state and Kansas state

Respect your opinion Vilma but he is no no no Geno!!!!

First and most importantly guy is a lot smarter than G Smith ...very much able to learn NFL mechanics

So this draft shore up your OL and take a QB a must

JMHO

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a more talented Bryce Petty IMO, but I agree this guy isn't that good. I think at best for the Jets, 3rd round.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Watched the Pitt game and I agree with what was being said in the article, even though he's posting bonkers stats, I don't think he's anything special. I could see the unbelievable talent that Mahomes had and I just don't see it with this guy. I don't think he'll be competitive for the Jets first round pick.

He could be an option later if for some reason crazy ass reason we don't end up with a QB. I don't think he's bad, I just don't think he's great and the Jets need great.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

What makes everyone think he's much smarter than Geno? Have any of you interviewed him? Geno was a standup guy at West Virginia, well respected by coaches and teammates, and put up gaudy stats to the point where he was once in the Heisman conversation.

Geno is so much smarter than most give him credit for, especially coming out of college. And I absolutely RIPPED him as a pro player.

But I don't get this whole mantra that Rudolph is smarter. They're literal college clones of each other, only Rudolph is bigger with a deeper and more talented group of receivers. Many are saying Oklahoma State has the most talented offensive roster in all of college football...

legler82 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Correct

My bad...

All I really have is not his Wonderlic Score but Masons college games/wins

Why do you say Geno is much smarter than we give him credit??? Wow....sorry but their is no evidence of that based on his bonehead on and offfield antics: poor game management, stupid bets with other players that got his jaw wired, can't set an alarm clock correctly, eats a hot dog in the middle of a game as a professional..please

Maybe Smith is more mature now but I really can't say

Nothing is certain ..but we need to keep drafting a QB for sure

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Rudolph didn't light the world on fire today playing against a top 25 team. 22/41 398 yards, 2 TD/2 INT. You can't take away anyone play but if we were to do so he did hit one 86 yard touchdown. Without that play he's 21/40 for 316 1TD/2INT.

To his credit that 86 yard touchdown was an absolute dime of a throw over two defenders. The receiver did absolutely blow by the safety and corner though.

I'd much prefer Baker Mayfield over him. And I wouldn't really look to take Mayfield before the 3rd or Rudolph before the 4th/5th.

Mayfield is having similar success with three plays counting for more than half of his yardage.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pretty sure we are talking about Geno as a prospect. Not the NFL player, we've seen. Geno had a much more impressive college resume.

legler82 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken, it was Sanchez who ate the hot dog during a game, not Geno Smith.