Marty Mornhinweg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Dec 3, 2013.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So the more I hear fans blame Rex for our offensive problems the more I wonder why Marty is getting a pass during all of this.It became obvious long ago that Rex gave reigns over the offense to MM because hes calling the defensive plays again.So why is it that We blamed Shotty ,Then blamed Sparano and now Marty M is getting a pass?The playcalling was decent early on but has progressivly gotten worse with each passing week.Whats changed?He had the offense rolling at times but for the last 5 weeks it hasnt been the same.The playcalling has left me scratching my head at times.3rd and 13 and we run it.He hasnt been able to get Geno and the WRs into anykind of rythm latley.And he was able to do so early on so dont blame it on WRs.Bottom line why is no one questioning the OC?Or has it just gotten to the point where everything is Rexs fault no matter what.3 weeks ago people were talking contract extensions

#1 LongIslandBlitz, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What's changed is that the Jets available receivers have been in flux each week and the guys getting most of the snaps aren't very good. In that situation Mornhinweg has been calling more runs, which dovetailed with what Rex wanted to do anyway with a potential playoff spot up for grabs.

As the Jets lost options to throw too the passing game got scaled back, which brought more people up into the box and stalled the run game some. Also more people in the box create more rushers both on run and pass blitzes and the OL has been overwhelmed at times.

It's just an ugly cycle that started with WR and TE injuries and suspensions and has cycled really badly since then.

3. LongIslandBlitz

You just proved my point.As Offensive Coordinator thats his Job to make the proper adjustments.Sure Rex can have input if he wants to but Martys been a offensive coach his entire life he isnt new to this.How about some simple throws to get Genos confindence back .Genos got a big arm and can throw one of the best deep balls .Why not take some shots downfield when absolutley nothing else is working.How about a WR screen play anything to get Geno in some kind of rythm

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno hasn't been able to complete short passes in about a half dozen games right now, mainly because throwing a short pass to a receiver who can't get separation is just asking for a pick-6 and after a few of those he's not making contested short throws any more.

This is a feedback loop at this point. Geno can't make good throws, receivers can't create space and as a result nobody is getting anything done. Not sure what any OC can do to fix a basic lack of talent due to injuries and inexperience.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think it's a roster thing. Morningwood has coordinated multiple solid offenses in this league. I don't think Bill fucking Walsh could make this offense work, or last years.

It's east to blame the play called or say "make an adjustment". What do you adjust to when the WRs can't beat man coverage, the pocket crumbles and the QB makes dumbass decisions? Punt formation?

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Pretty much this.

I do agree with the sentiments of the OP as well. The blame that is being apportioned is ridiculous.
    We all knew what we had in this team during TC, and we all knew that it was going to be a rocky road this year.....
    It appears that a lot of people seem to have forgotten all this

7. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

The play calling worked against NE and N.O.

I think the opposing teams have made adjustments based on those two games, and we haven't adapted optimally in fear that geno will make mistakes.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's simple.

We started the season with very little talent to work with. Injuries have ruined what little talent we did have. Nobody could do any better with what we are working with, most would do worse with what we have.

We are lucky to have MM as our offensive coordinator.

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was screaming for a quick kick too.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Hes not getting a complete pass but Rex is the HEAD coach for 5 years now almost with a team that just flat out isn't competing since the bye. It isn't like we are barely getting beat but this team has flat out been destroyed 4 of its last 5 games. That all goes back on Rex. I'm sure many feel he isn't gettingh the most out of his players because theres no way in hell can you say the Dolphins and Bills are 20 points better then this team. Rex's days of getting passes the last 2 years are over. This is a make or break year for him and barring this team winning another 2-3 more games, his days in NY are done.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

System matters.

Right....

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It's all the media's fault.
    Just ask Alec Baldwin.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Marty has been an OC elsewhere and succeeded.

Rex, Geno, our pass catchers, and half of our OL do not have such a track record in their current jobs.

Sure I would rank Rex highly as a DC but not so much as a head coach or GM.

If I had a college football team I would probably want Geno as my starter.

14. LongIslandBlitz

How many times have we watched Geno throw balls over wide open WRs heads or not see them at all.Hopefully Kerleys playing this week because hes obviously our best WR with Holmes no longer himself.I think it has more to do with Marty not trusting Geno and scaling back the playcalling

15. LongIslandBlitz

Exactly what i think.And i like Marty i think hes a better OC then weve had over the years.But i think hes calling plays based on Genos turnovers .Weve all seen Geno make some throws.He lead the league in receptions over 15 yards the first 5 weeks

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

MM's history is 60% pass throughout his entire career. The Jets have been a running first team of late and its mostly due to the fact that the talent on offense blows.

If the team wants Geno to be the long term answer, Marty needs to be kept in place. His system is good and proven, but he needs pieces to work with that he currently doesn't have.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe MM actually IS getting the absolute MOST out of his piss poor offense and we just don't know it?

I don't see a lot of OC's getting shit ton of production out of shitty offenses anywhere in the NFL.

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Bootleg, get whoever is qb out of the pocket. We run the ball, but don't bootleg :breakdance:

19. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

In my opinion Morninwhig gets a pass for one reason only, our head coach has Herm disease and has had it for years, build a good Defense and screw the offense, just don,t make mistakes, no threatening talent on offense and the opposing Ds know it and Rex plays his whole coaching attitude on winning with D.
    Someday we will have a head coach who truly believes it takes unloading a threatening offense to go along with a goodD to win games consistently, not just D.
    When a offense does play this bad the offensive coordinator should be forced to do a post game press conference,especially when the head coach doe seen,t have a clue on how to spell the word.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Even a good jockey can't win a race on a gimpy horse.......