Martin&theJETS Mock Draft 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1. Baker Mayfield QB, Oklahoma:

Broadway Baker has the accuracy and vision to succeed as an NFL QB. Not to mention his confidence, moxy, and swagger. He is an interesting prospect and I think he would fit right into our team and offensive scheme. Mayfield has a winning pedigree and is a fierce competitor. That is something we really need at QB. I like Rosen and Darnold better, but sadly I believe they go before our pick. I think if it came down to Allen or Baker, Mac won't roll the dice on a QB prototype similar to Hackenberg. I think Mayfield is the most realistic and also has the most NY-like personality. Imagine this kid tearing it up for us and being the "it" player as the New York Jets QB.

[​IMG]

2a. Nick Chubb RB, Georgia:

I got us double dipping on offensive player makers. Boy would I love for it happen. Surely it would mean hell has frozen over, but one can dream. This is absolutely something we should do. I think this pick is the perfect spot to go RB, and Chubb is a man on a mission. The kid is a freak and is a tough SOB. He has lacked some explosiveness after his terrible knee injury in 2015, but the kid is destined to be something special. He had a freak combine and is quickly quieting some critics that questioned if he can truly be a RB1. My biggest concern with him is that he doesn't have a track record of catching the ball. He was barely ever used on passing downs. I think pairing him with our current RBs would be a great compliment.

[​IMG]

2b. Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh:

This kid is an athletic freak and would fit our new zone blocking scheme beautifully. He is a former tight end and basketball player. He showed off his athleticism at the combine and could very well shoot up the board. He may not last till our pick, but OT seems pretty deep from the mid 1st round to the mid 2nd round. I see us addressing OG in the FA, hopefully Norwell. Beachum can hold down the fort in 2018, but in 2019 he is cuttable. Grooming this kid a little and preparing him for 2019 could land us a long term solution at LT in the middle of the 2nd.

[​IMG]

3. Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia:

Maybe I just have a thing for Georgia LBs, but Carter is an intriguing prospect. He is 6'6 and extremely rangy. I think he can provide some much needed coverage help at OLB when asked. Carter has the potential to fly around the edge and use his athleticism to make plays. I see him as a Leonard Floyd clone, but one that will be available on day 2. I would like to see us get Trent Murphy and add some potential at OLB through the draft. Carter has a ton of potential and could provide extremely high returns in the 3rd round.

[​IMG]

4. KeKe Coutee WR Texas Tech:

Shifty guy with the ability to make plays from the slot. He can also double as a return guy, something we have desperately needed. Most of our receivers are on the bigger end and we do not have a clear cut guy to hit the middle from the slot. Coutee offers that and much more. We missed out on Dede Westbrook last year, time to pull the trigger on the slot man.

[​IMG]

5. Genard Avery ILB Memphis:

Having ILB depth in the 3-4 is always a good thing. Avery is an intriguing prospect and I think he will end up surprising a lot of people. He stands out on film and is always around the ball. Avery is able to rush the passer and even cover his man over the middle or out of the backfield. He had an impressive combine and has the speed to stop the Jet killing wheel route.

[​IMG]

6. Brian Allen C Michigan State:

Allen is one mean SOB. He plays with grit and a nasty motor. He finishes his blocks and doesn't stop till the whistle blows. His quickness and flat line speed are questionable, but he knows how to handle himself. Allen is stout in pass pro, but can struggle to get to the second level quick enough. At the very least, this kid provides depth at the center position. However, I believe that he can turn into a starter sooner than some think.

[​IMG]

7. Bilal Nichols DE Delaware:

Interesting prospect that could end up going much higher. He will be a day 3 selection, but where is tbd. He is strong as hell and plays with a non-stop motor. Nichols has shown he can get after the QB and also stop the run. As a senior he totaled 56 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 INT, 4 PDF, and even blocked a kick. If we wait till the seventh round to address DL, then hell really has frozen over.

Thanks for reading and for your opinions!

#1 Martin&theJETS, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

All in all I'd like this draft.
    Mayfield (assuming we didn't get Cousins) along with Chubb would be excellent, and I really like the mid round picks.

Biggest wildcard to me would be O'Neill at OT, as he was the main add to the OL in this mock.
    I don't know much about him. Being a former TE, is he strong and stout enough to run block in the NFL? How is his pass pro?

If we landed Cousins and drafted Nelson instead in round 1, along with the rest of this mock draft, I'd feel a lot better.

Good effort.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Where do I sign?

4. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

would be very happy with this result, well done!

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

O'Neill is overall good in pass pro. He has the length in the arms you want to see at LT. He also has quick feet. However, he can be inconsistent with his footwork when overwhelmed. He is fairly stout with his initial quick hit, but his sustained strength is a bit lacking.

He really has the athleticism and length to mirror rushers coming from the blind side. O'Neill only has 1 year at LT, so his ceiling is pretty high. Only up from here with him.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Not a bad draft scenario with one exception being the Brian Allen pick at 6. He wouldn't solve the immediate need at center as I don't think he's a day one starter which the Jets really are lacking. Would like to see them grab Price if he drops to them in the 2nd round because of the injury (doubtful he will) but lower 2nd /3rd take Daniels or Ragnow who was a projected 1st rounder before the high ankle sprain set him back.

ColoradoContrails likes this.