Mark Gastineau says he has dementia, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 20, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Mark Gastineau says he has dementia, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease

Frank Schwab
    Shutdown Corner

Mark Gastineau said he wants to make the game of football safer. (AP)

Mark Gastineau, even with a terrible medical diagnosis that he believes comes from playing football, made clear that he wouldn’t change anything about playing in the NFL.

But the former New York Jets legend wants to make the game safer.

Gastineau, in an interview with 710 WOR Radio in New York as part of USA Football’s “Heads Up Football,” said he has dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. It’s always hard to say if football contributed to that, but it’s an easy connection to make.

“I don’t want (my health) to overpower or overshadow the “Heads Up” program, I want it to be a warning to mothers and fathers to be able to put their kids in to safe places to be able to carry on a team sport that I think is going to be way far beneficial to them then if they didn’t have that in their lives,” Gastineau said.

Gastineau said he thinks kids should still play football, but they should play with the proper technique. He said he thinks the proper techniques could have saved his health.

“It’s disturbing to the point where I want to get out and I want to help other kids and youths coming into the game,” Gastineau said. “There’s techniques out there that if I would have had them, I know that I wouldn’t have the results that I have now.”

Gastineau was one of the most famous players the NFL had in the 1980s. He was brash and dominant. He had 19 sacks in 1983 and 22 sacks in 1984, which set an NFL single-season record that Michael Strahan broke in 2001 (This is a total lie! Favre took a dive!). Gastineau punctuated many of his 74 career sacks with his famed “sack dance.”

Gastineau was controversial as a player and had a history with drugs, but WOR said Gastineau has cleaned up his life and is a regular in church.

Although Gastineau didn’t have an easy road, during his career or now with his health issues, he told WOR Radio he has no regrets.

“I am so happy that I went through the times, the trials and things I went through in the NFL,” Gastineau said. “I wouldn’t trade them for anything.”

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Many fans didn't like him. Me I loved him and the rest of the sack exchange. News is very sad.

westiedog1, LF911SC, K'OB and 9 others like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Gastineau was on the Jets' coaching staff?

4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Mark Gastineau was one of my favorite players when I was a young Jet fan. Years later, I actually had the privilege of working out a few times, very late at night, or early in the morning, depending on your POV, with Mark, at a 24 hour gym in Bayside Queens. He was just an incredibly nice, funny, gracious guy. Here's hoping his present dire prognosis somehow turns into a happy outcome, in light of some of the groundbreaking advances science is currently making in treating these awful maladies. Godspeed 99!

#4 Will-I-Am-Not, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Brook!, NYJetsO12, westiedog1 and 8 others like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Mark is going through so much. I think most fans loved him while he was playing, but crossing the picket line immediately during the players strke led to tension with teammates . Then retiring the way he did, mid season for questionable reasons turned that love to hate. He had his struggles away from the field but so have many others.
    I wish him the best and commend him for his work with the Heads up program and for hopefully turning his life around.

LF911SC, ajax and James Hasty like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i'm a little confused at his diagnosis but maybe there are some overlap symptoms that cannot be pinned down at the moment. though its not unusual to see patients with trauma history to show symptoms of both AD and PD early on.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He probably got it from smacking his forehead into Brigitte Nielsen's giant clit.

NY Jets68, LF911SC, stinkyB and 4 others like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't see this game lasting another 40-50 years. I think in the next 10-15 years or so we're going to see the talent pool take a huge dip as young athletes are disallowed to play the game or are pushed to play other sports.

As someone whom played the game, it's sad as it definitely teaches life lessons of perseverance and battling through adversity while working as a team and of course leadership qualities. We play an alumni game every year in full pads and contact the day after Thanksgiving and I walk away beaten up and with probably a minor concussion every single year.

I feel like there's very few football games you can walk away from without at least a headache and in most cases a minor concussion.

I hope there are huge advances in the technology of helmets and such or else it's just going to have to be a flag football league, unfortunately.

rohirrim665 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Really good write up.

That was probably the time frame I got addicted to the Jets. I can't remember for certain but I loved the NY Sack Exchange. So I probably owe my allegiance to Mark G.

Will-I-Am-Not and FJF like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Stay classy, Byz.

abyzmul and James Hasty like this.
  11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

as am i. to have parkinsons, dementia and alzheimers seems a bit odd. the whole statement seems very odd. to be honest it sounded like an attention grab when i first heard it.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many QBs have Parkinson, dementia and Alzheimer thanks to Mark G? ;)

There's probably a few that still wet themselves at night

James Hasty likes this.
  13. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This is inevitable, that's why I wish the Jets would just win a goddamn superbowl so I can relax. This game is not going to be around forever, I know that's unpopular but its just the truth. I hate to say it but I wouldn't let my hypothetical children play it. I love the game, it hurts to say it, but it is true.

Jets_Grinch and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  14. James Hasty

Before Klecko took over NT he and Gastineau took the record for sacks for two players. I am sure all of our opposing QBs that year still don't know whether to look left or right.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Klecko quietly was better...Gastineau reminded me of Brandon Marshall, hey everybody look at me, a shame because he was a great player with his head up his ass...

16. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

My prayers are with him, and his family.

17. James Hasty

They were both extremely good players. I want to see them go into the HOF together.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I love this guy because of my dad. My dad loved him and used to tell me about him, as I was only born in 91. Have his jersey. Him and Namath are the only jerseys I have of players I never saw play. Met him at the pep rally before the Divisional game in New England. He was a great guy. Prayers to him and his family.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

There are certainly overlaps of where dementia/PD begins and Alzheimers ends. My dad was initially diagnosed with dementia and PD with his life eventually ending after a long, torturous fight with Alzheimers that left a lot of family carnage in it's wake. Most likely they have MG on medication that is going to do no better than slowing the disease as best they can. Bottom line, this is a death sentence - a horrible, degrading one with no cure.

LAJet, jetophile and jilozzo like this.
  20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I saw Mark at the MetLife Jets Shop at an autograph signing. I was concerned about how he looked, relative to his age.

Although a controversial figure once he became involved with Brigitte, led a more "hollywood lifestyle" and then probably due to mismanaged finances broke the picket line during the strike - ruining his relationship with his teammates, it could be argued that he was one of the greatest draft picks in franchise history. From unknown to superstar. He and Joe (and don't forget Marty and Abdul) were a force to be reckoned with, and most teams couldn't deal with them. Unfortunately, the Jets could not quite cash in on them the way they might have.

Let's all wish Mark all the best with his struggles.

joe and FJF like this.