Mariota is one of the best QB prospects I have ever seen

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Looking back at some of his games this season and last this kid is unreal! I saw mostly highlights of his games last year so I went back to watch a few games.. The Oregon St game was a masterpiece in particular!

The few things that stands out is his drive to finish a play, his toughness and pure football IQ. This guy is a genuine football player! He also takes care of the football at a very high level for a QB that uses his mobility.

He would be a dream come true for the Jets!

#1 Rockinz, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    almbleamal likes this.
  2. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

With Mariota's intangibles, I could see his floor being Alex Smith. That's what in my eyes makes him a safe pick.

3. Rockinz

I agree with the Alex Smith floor.

IMO his floor is A Smith and his ceiling is Steve Young

I think he's a better version of Russel Wilson

NCJetsfan and themorey like this.
  4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If that's the case it's highly unlikely he makes it to the 6th spot.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You realize someone is going to laugh at you and say "You want to use the 6th pick on Alex Smith?!?"

Me and Legler have already had this discussion with some folks on the board. They don't understand what the concept of "floor" is.

They think you are saying Mariota=Alex Smith.

_

6. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Im not sure whats so confusing about that statement lol

Rockinz and NYJalltheway like this.
  7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Do you mean taller? I can't imagine you mean better. Wilson has been nothing short of brilliant thus far. He's taken game manager to a new level. If you find a 'better' version of him there, he goes #1, no question.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  8. JStokes

There are a few dudes here who are confused by it.

_

9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

mariota still isn't the prospect winston is. winston is the best prospect i've personally seen since luck. he throws with anticipation, has athleticism to escape the pocket, goes through his progressions, plays from under center (which is overrated, but still a plus), runs a pro-style offense, and has shown an extremely important trait of not letting mistakes go to his head (won a game against florida where i think he threw 3 interceptions in a half)

marcus mariota is still a great prospect with a chance of falling to six because of legitimate concerns. i recently watched an interview with him on the dan patrick show and he said he really hates talking to the media (which is fine, but it's still important to talk to the media, especially in new york) and also said there was no huddle so he didn't really command one. that is NOT to say he isn't a leader as his intangibles are great, he just might not be a vocal one. which is important. from a football standpoint he has a lot of the traits you look for. has good arm mechanics and absurd athleticism. he has nice velocity on his throws and is an accurate passer. he also has a good feel for pressure which is important

i'm not really into making player comp, but if i had to make one RIGHT NOW for mariota, it might be kaepernick. both come from a spread and if chan gailey is smart he will limit the reads for mariota and let his athleticism take control (which is basically kaep in San Fran). i still hope mariota falls to 6 and we snag him up

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I like Mariota just as much as the next guy, but how can he be "one of the best prospects you have ever seen" when his game is heavily reliant on the run?

I'm not saying he is gonna bust out or he sucks, but how can you make that claim? Andrew Luck was one of the best prospects to ever come out because of his natural ability as a pure pocket passer. The only way Mariota stays in the league or becomes something special is if he learns how to stay in the pocket. If he runs like he did in college, he's screwed. I can't label him one of the best I've ever seen, but I can say he's one of the best, talent wise, in a while.

11. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

He looks more to me like Ryan Tannehill.

As pundits have mentioned you don't see a lot of throws into tight windows.

Most of the time guys are running wide open.

To say he's a better version of Russell Wilson is high praise.

Russell Wilson has unique moves, shiftiness and elusiveness (uncanny "make you miss" ability) that a lot of RBs don't have.

#11 al_toon_88, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. Rockinz

Russell has a pretty good D with him...

13. The_Darksider

What's the D have to do with him being a good QB? Sure, it has made him a WINNING qb, a champion even, but he's accurate, poised, smart, and elusive. That's not the defense.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We just have to hope he's sitting there at 6.

15. JStokes

I think what he was inartfully trying to say is that assuming they have the same physical and mental talents, Mariota being 5 inches taller and a step faster would make him "better".

_

Rockinz and The_Darksider like this.
  16. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Whoa!

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I read someone compare him to Big Ben...I mean, he's big and hard to take down but other than that I don't really see it, especially the pocket passing ability. If he's a more mobile (as in rushing) Roethlisberger how do you pass that up? But, again, I don't really agree with that comparison but, to be fair, I haven't watched much Mariota so someone else may be more able to comment.

18. The_Darksider

Unless he fills out considerably, he's nowhere near that size. He's almost as tall, but Ben is much bigger. But you're right, if he's anything like that, you take him and don't look back.

19. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

A big ben comparison for winston is something ive heard a lot and can agree with but not mariota

The_Darksider likes this.
  20. JStokes

Nope nothing like Ben. He's skinny compared to Ben and while Ben will take one step up or sideways to avoid a sack and shake defenders off him, Mariota will take off or sprint out.

He's not nearly the physical beast that Ben is. Ben will stay in there and make a throw with guys draped all over him. Mariota is not doing that.

But Mariota is much much more athletic.

Winston is a better Ben comparison.

_

The Uniform Bomber likes this.