Manish says Give Gase a chance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Joe's been a fan for well over 50 years; he gets the big picture. When you're a fan for 50 years with no championship, you'll see the big picture too. The big picture is that the current ownership, like the ownership before them, are equal parts incompetent and "don't really give a damn as long as we're making all this money."

ColoradoContrails, NYJ79 and Cman68 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If they want to win over the fanbase, Gase has to win in short order. Its really that simple. I don't think Gase is gonna get much of a grace period. Probably from Mehta but the rest of the NY media probably won't be so kind.

In the immortal words of Al Davis: "Just Win Baby!"

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Gase will get a grace period from the newer NYJ fans & the youngies on this board. The ones who have 10 or mure years of fandom under there belt for the NYJs will be on him like a rash the 1st time he does something stupid like in game 1 of the 19 season :mad:

4. Cman68

Champ? We missed ya man! Welcome back old timer!! :)

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am now stuck with the old Lennon song in my head "All we are saying, is give Gase a chance"

Jets81 likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

One question.

Can he train the OL? Jets are known for a fucking train wreck when it comes to the QB protection.

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

IMHO Gase should be treated like any other coach for any other team. What he did in the past had no bearing on his Jets tenure. Just because you don't like the hire, it doesn't mean you should not root for him to be successful. Just because you didn't like the hire, it shouldn't mean that your judgement of his success or failure as a Jet coach should be any different than McCarthy or any other candidate.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

There are always going to be people that will want him to fail so they can pat themselves on the back and say "I told you so."

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This

I hope Maccagnan gets this, because I can't help but feel that his fear/intimidation of McCarthy's record is why Gase is the coach

Cman68 likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm sure Maccagnan was lying awake at night in a cold sweat over the thought of Hall of Fame coach Mike McCarthy.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

11. Cman68

Well, Bowles had to win.. He didn't.. Rex had to win.. He came up short. Mangini? Herm? they all had to win and some of them came close but failed in the end. Gase has to win. It really doesn't matter who the HC is, he has to win. To me, HC's come and go just like the weather. This team will be exactly what their record says they are. I've long since stopped being a Fanatic about the Jets. I watch them. I follow them. I am not a pompom waver. So, the only thing I'll judge Gase on is his record. The only thing I've ever judged HC's on is their record. True fanatics can deal with "potential" and "competitiveness" and "moral victories". I wish them well. If Gase is the HC Mehta and the FO wants us to think he is, then we should see a vast improvement this year. So, for the sake of argument, lets set the bar low. 8-8 good?

johnny likes this.
  12. Endlessly Counting

I can't tell from your post whether you agree with me or not

Let me just say this...

As an avid observer of the Jets for more than 50 years, I believe that Maccagnan felt his power would be threatened by McCarthy and that is at least a portion of the reason why he is not the coach today.

Anyway, while there are valid reasons for picking Gase, I agree with a lot of the posters here that they better show something major next year and if they don't, it will be ugly. 8-8 may not be enough

Cman68 likes this.
  13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

This take I can agree with. You have to judge the coach by the record and whether it's trending up or down. Judge him just like you would McCarthy (which is contradictory to what some in the forum seemed to be doing). That's all I was asking for.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

8-8 would be double the amount of wins they had this season. Hell, it would almost equal the amount of wins they had the last 2 seasons combined!

Hiring a coach and expecting him to double the win total his first year or else, is a ridiculous standard to set. It might take Gase time to right this ship. This team was awful the past 3 seasons. And we all know it needs a culture change

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Endlessly Counting, "8-8 may not be enough" for what? Retaining his job? Satifying a majority of Jet fans on this forum? Having the stands full of Jet fans? Avoiding flying banners asking for his removal?

I am not trying to be a jerk - just curious at what you're trying to say. Are you insinuating that Gase should be under more pressure to win now than McCarthy if he was hired?

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He meant to say [Gase had better go 16-0 and win SB along the way next year or I will set up "Fire Gase." billboard.]

17. Endlessly Counting

Johnny

Yes, although at 8-8, depends upon the circumstances (e.g. Sam plays well, injuries kill them, end of the season winning streak, beat the Giants, knock a team out of the play-offs etc.)

Yes majority of the fans will NOT be satisfied at 8-8

8-8 might keep the stands full, but again, depends upon the circumstances

Yes 8-8 could very well see planes flying calling for both Gase and Maccagnan to go

Yes I am saying that Gase and Maccagnan will be under much more pressure to win now than if McCarthy had been hired, doesn't matter if they "should" be or not.

PS I do not think you are trying to be a jerk at all...it's a controversial hire and fans have a right to be passionate, given three straight lack-luster losing seasons and 8 years out of the play-offs

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No, Joe as usual sounds like a rambling idiot, makes sense that some here would defend him as they have similar philosophies in terms of being close minded. I heard the interview and Manish owned his ass (I cannot believe I said this). All Joe could say was "McCaRtHy HaS a SuPeRbOwl" ... that show is an embarrassment to Jet fans. Joe / Evan are passionate, but they easily lack the knowledge to gain any sort of respect from me.

New York needs a new fresh of breath air in terms of the radio, a new voice with some damn sense. I don't care how long you've been a fan.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Are we gonna ignore the fact that Mehta was a huge Bowles supporter till week 14 and was on the Kirk Cousins bandwagon?

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I take anything from any of them w/a grain of Teff